Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Soap hunks and divas

103 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, rayban said:

The "indescribable" Danny Walters -

how much is too much or not enough? -

danny-walters-gay-times-magazine-cover-0

There is never too much of a good thing- check out the video I poster of Mr Walters on male beauty on the screen- love his accent

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jaragon said:

There is never too much of a good thing- check out the video I poster of Mr Walters on male beauty on the screen- love his accent

Yes, you do know a good thing when you see it.

You are our connoisseur of male beauty.

I'd love some nude photos.

His bod is like a magnificent piece of sculpture.

• Like 2

I get the feeling he's very different (in real life) than he is on EastEnders. They put him with this ragtag family, they're supposed to be the new hellraisers of Albert Square. But he's a lot more soft-spoken and gentler than the woman who plays his mother. And the siblings are all kind of homely. He's like a diamond in the rough with them. It's fun to watch.

Screen shot 2017-11-18 at 7.44.47 AM.png

• Like 2

Since I will be mentioning British hunks and divas from time to time, I thought I'd just say the three main British soaps can be seen each day on Britbox. This is not an ad, just a source of information, since I don't work for them. LOL (Britbox is like Hulu or Amazon and has a free trial and monthly subscription.)

EastEnders produces new half hour episodes four times a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday). Because it's made by the BBC which is supported by British tax dollars there are no ads, meaning the episodes are a full 28 to 30 minutes long.

Emmerdale and Coronation Street are both made by rival network ITV and are both ad supported, meaning their episodes are usually 22 minutes in length. Emmerdale produces six new episodes a week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, two on Thursday, and Friday). Coronation Street also produces six new episodes each week but is only shown three days (two on Monday, two on Wednesday and two on Friday). Every now and then there is a special Sunday episode and at Christmas time they have longer specials. Usually when the soaps hit milestone anniversaries ITV likes to do live episodes for Emmerdale and Corrie, and those are always fun to watch.

You can imagine that if they doing six episodes a week, there are over 300 episodes per year. By comparison the U.S. soaps typically do 240-250 episodes per year (it varies if there are pre-emptions for sports and holidays).

• Thanks 2

Since I'm only acquainted with one soap, "Days of Our Lives", what I like about the soap is its' over-the-topness.

For example, right now, Will Horton who has come back "from the dead".

And a kind of outrageous explanation is given.

It adds to the hyper-reality of the show.

And, right now, Paul is sinking into the depths of despair, because Sonny won't be marrying him, because his husband, Will, has returned "from the grave".

You do not get this kind of thing on the usual TV drama.

The soap is in a class of its' own.

Could life ever imitate "Days of Our Lives"?

I doubt it.

But it is possible, I guess.

Days-of-Our-Lives-Spoilers-Sonny-Freddie

• Thanks 1

"Days of Our Lives" -

men in love with each other can reach the heights of melodramatic intensity -

Days-of-Our-Lives-Spoilers-Sonny-Freddie

Will Horton - "a love object" worth his weight in gold -

these soap hunks are not your ordinary good-looking guy -

their physical beauty is almost "surreal" -

Chandler-Massey-and-Freddie-Smith-in-Day

• Like 2

I've never followed DAYS other than what I've seen in the soap press so I'm confused about a character who not only comes back from the dead (happens all the time on soaps) but whose sexuality is totally different.  Really?  Maybe the character enrolled in Mike Pence's "Pray the Gay Away" school when he was in the in-between zone of life and death.  LOL.

Get it together, writers.  Bad writing (and some bad acting by newbies given too much storyline because they're young and pretty) is what turned me off soaps.  The recycled plots, the endless triangles, etc.  Come up with something new!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That Danny Walters is one great looking guy!  If he can act half as well as he looks - that's a plus.

Looks like the Brits do a better job with soaps than we do.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

That Danny Walters is one great looking guy!  If he can act half as well as he looks - that's a plus.

Looks like the Brits do a better job with soaps than we do.

He's not Olivier, but he's doing fine with the story they're giving him. I believe he signed a three year contract. After gaining experience with dramatic material I can see him moving on to those BBC miniseries and bigger budget films, quite easily. How could he not become a famous movie star with those looks? They're lucky to have him on EastEnders now when he's just getting started with his acting career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to see him in a re-make of "The Roman Spring Of Mrs. Stone" - playing opposite Meryl Streep.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, rayban said:

I'd like to see him in a re-make of "The Roman Spring Of Mrs. Stone" - playing opposite Meryl Streep.

Yes....that would be the perfect kind of film for him at this stage of his career...opposite a very established older actress.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rayban said:

As I said before, you are a true connoisseur -:wub:

a2cf696162d47172694efc1a63748f0f.jpg

He is practically saying come and get it- he reminds me of Taron Egerton

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rayban said:

I'd watch that in a heartbeat.

How do you think he would do in a Tom Ripley movie?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recently I caught some classic Doug Marland episodes of As the World Turns on YouTube. Anyone who was a longtime fan of ATWT knows the show experienced an incredible resurgence from 1985 to 1993 under this very gifted scribe. Marland usually wrote for 40 to 50 regular characters, plus another 20 recurring as well as special guests. So with such a large cast, some performers occasionally got lost in the shuffle. But not Eileen Fulton. Never Eileen Fulton. 

Screen shot 2017-11-18 at 5.30.23 PM.png

The episodes I watched come alive when Eileen enters a scene. There's a unique energy she has when she walks into the room. I guess that's one of the requirements for a diva. You lose your diva card if you don't know how to enter a scene a certain way and keep the focus on your character even in a scene with dozens of other people.

Screen shot 2017-11-18 at 5.00.38 PM.png

Eileen was not at all like her alter ego Lisa but she was often mistaken for being the same. She had studied with Sanford Meisner, the famed NYC acting guru and had already appeared on an episode of Naked City when she was hired for a summer arc on the soap in 1960. She was only supposed to be there for a few weeks, but when she went shopping one day and a woman came up and slapped her across the face in Lord & Taylor's, the producers knew they were reaching their audience with Lisa and she was quickly given a long-term contract. Gold digging Lisa snared Dr. Bob Hughes and got the nice house with the picket fence, but it wouldn't be enough.

Screen shot 2017-11-18 at 5.26.44 PM.png

By 1965 she was so popular Eileen had a publicist (the first soap star to need one) and Lisa was spun off into her own primetime series Our Private World. When that series ran its course she was brought back to fictional Oakdale to create more drama on ATWT the following year. She went on to have countless affairs and as one journalist said, she changed husbands as often as she changed shoes. Again that's what divas on soaps do.

Screen shot 2017-11-18 at 5.22.20 PM.png

Around 1970 her character's eldest son Tom was aged and married off. Eileen was in her mid-40s at the time and felt it wouldn't fit the image of her character if she suddenly became a grandmother. She was in the process of signing a new contract and threatened to walk unless they put a "granny clause" in her contract, meaning Lisa could not have any grandkids. The producers and network were afraid to lose her so they acquiesced. Tom's first wife was sterile and his second wife died tragically before she could get pregnant. A decade later Eileen felt she was ready to play a grandmother on screen and the clause was taken out. But the actor who played her son quit and to facilitate a dramatic exit, Tom and his third wife Margo were caught up in a hostage situation and Margo miscarried a baby.

You have to understand that Tom and Margo were a very popular supercouple on the series in the 80s and 90s. So when Margo lost the baby and Tom left her, fans who could not separate fiction from reality blamed Eileen due to the old granny clause. They flooded the studio with letters that they would kill Eileen or else make it so she couldn't act again. It is at this point soaps' first actress to need a publicist now needed a bodyguard. Yes, this is what happens when you play a character everyone loves to hate!

Screen shot 2017-11-18 at 4.49.58 PM.png

Eileen continued to have storylines into the early 2000s. During the serial's last few years on the air, she was used less often and relegated to what amounted to glorified cameos. But she managed to stay on the show until it ended in 2010. For a job that was intended to last five weeks back in the summer of 1960, she ended up lasting 50 years and giving us infinite entertainment as the genre's original bad girl.

Screen shot 2017-11-18 at 5.02.10 PM.png

• Like 3

I missed ATWT during most, but not all, of the Doug Marland days.  From what I've read he was an exceptional writer - one of the best and soaps were lucky to have him.

Eileen Fulton is one of the great soap divas.  Thanks for the tribute; well done. I'm looking forward to Kim "The S L U T of Springfield" Zimmer column.  

• Like 2

I watched the final year of "As The World Turns" - it had three gay characters - a young son, his boyfriend and a older doctor, who came between the boyfriends.

8 minutes ago, rayban said:

I watched the final year of "As The World Turns" - it had three gay characters - a young son, his boyfriend and a older doctor, who came between the boyfriends.

Yes-- you're referring to Luke, Noah & Reid. :)

• Thanks 1