Kita.Rhea

Submarine Movies

6 posts in this topic

So, I have decided that my very first post had to be about Submarines. :D My husband is currently serving as a submariner for the US Navy. One of the most interesting things to hear from my husband is his selection of how to explain life on a sub. He recommends everyone to watch "Das Boot" for the mundane life and "Periscope Down" on how they deal with the mundane. "It is not a parody but a documentary." It got me thinking of classic movies that set with the backdrop on submarines and I wanted to see if you could help me create a list. Also, it gives me movies to watch with my husband and well for me watch on my own. Added bonus he gets to let me know if they are correct in how they are doing something. (Always fun when he is sitting there watching something and then corrects it because he knows how it is suppose to be done or said.) 

Thank you for taking the time and reading this post and advance thank you for all the movie titles. 

~Kita Rhea~

• Like 1

• Devil and the Deep
  • Hell Below
  • Destination Tokyo
  • The Enemy Below
  • Run Silent, Run Deep
  • Submarine X-1
  • U-571
  • Below
  • Hell and High Water
  • On the Beach
  • Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
  • The Bedford Incident
  • The Hunt for Red October
  • Crimson Tide
  • K-19: The Widowmaker
  • Phantom
  • Black Sea

These are all of the submarine movies that I've seen (besides Das Boot, which you already mentioned, and which is my favorite submarine movie). There are others with submarines in them, but these are primarily set inside submarines. 

And welcome to the boards, Kita Rhea! :)

• Thanks 1

One more thing, Kit Rhea...most of those movies I listed are about things on submarines going wrong, usually perilously so, so keep that in mind when viewing them. I don't know how much more they'd cause you to worry about your man at sea!

• Like 1

Gray Lady Down is a decent flick, with Charlton Heston commanding a nuclear submarine.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for answering my post, I will be writing these movies down on my 'to watch' list. Also, I want to thank you all for welcoming me to the forums. 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:30 PM, LawrenceA said:

One more thing, Kit Rhea...most of those movies I listed are about things on submarines going wrong, usually perilously so, so keep that in mind when viewing them. I don't know how much more they'd cause you to worry about your man at sea!

To Lawrence: Worry is part of any spouse of the military, honestly when watching these films I know there is a possibility of something happening to my husband. Yet, I know that all I cannot allow that worry to control me either. If that makes any sense. 

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, TopBilled said:

Such a great opening post. Always interesting to see what classic films mean in other people's lives.

For a light-hearted view of life on a submarine, there's the pleasing 1959 Cary Grant-Tony Curtis comedy OPERATION PETTICOAT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Petticoat

Welcome to the message boards.

To TopBilled: My husband and one of his shipmates were to watch this during deployment once his shipmate had his fish. I love Operation Petticoat and was shocked that my husband has never watched it. Then again he is getting into watching more classic movies thanks to me. 

• Like 2