CodyJ

2017 Christmas Schedule

16 posts in this topic

I'm new to TCM and had to register to voice my disappointment about TCM's Christmas Schedule for 2017. Wow, couldn't believe how scarce the selection was. Is it that lovers of Classic Christmas Favorites must BUY the DVD or perhaps find their favorites on Netflix and the like? So disappointed in TCM.

33 minutes ago, CodyJ said:

I'm new to TCM and had to register to voice my disappointment about TCM's Christmas Schedule for 2017. Wow, couldn't believe how scarce the selection was. Is it that lovers of Classic Christmas Favorites must BUY the DVD or perhaps find their favorites on Netflix and the like? So disappointed in TCM.

What Christmas movies were you hoping to see that aren't being shown?

There are Christmas double features airing at least once a week. It doesn't seem scarce. Each December TCM loads the schedule with titles that people can see then purchase on DVD afterward.

But if you're looking for something like IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE or WHITE CHRISTMAS, you won't find them. They've never aired on TCM.

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

There are Christmas double features airing at least once a week. It doesn't seem scarce. Each December TCM loads the schedule with titles that people can see then purchase on DVD afterward.

But if you're looking for something like IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE or WHITE CHRISTMAS, you won't find them. They've never aired on TCM.

Yes, I was thinking that the OP meant the "big ones" which rarely if ever air on TCM. To the OP, the reason is that those films have licenses with or are owned by other channels that exclusively show them. Someone with more knowledge on the subject could tell you the specifics, but I think NBC/Universal/Comcast owns It's a Wonderful Life.

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yes, I was thinking that the OP meant the "big ones" which rarely if ever air on TCM. To the OP, the reason is that those films have licenses with or are owned by other channels that exclusively show them. Someone with more knowledge on the subject could tell you the specifics, but I think NBC/Universal/Comcast owns It's a Wonderful Life.

The OP mentioned Netflix...but I don't think Netflix has very many classic films anymore. Mostly new stuff. 

White Christmas is on Netflix.

For me, I just purchase all the Christmas movies that I must see each year.  That way I don't have to rely on them airing on television.  I'll DVR any of the TCM selections that I haven't seen and want to check out to see if they're worth purchasing.  I'm so happy that this year I finally got my own copy of Remember the Night

33 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

White Christmas is on Netflix.

For me, I just purchase all the Christmas movies that I must see each year.  That way I don't have to rely on them airing on television.  I'll DVR any of the TCM selections that I haven't seen and want to check out to see if they're worth purchasing.  I'm so happy that this year I finally got my own copy of Remember the Night

I wasn't aware WHITE CHRISTMAS was on Netflix. It definitely doesn't get broadcast on TCM.

Usually every summer I do a little Christmas in July theme where I watch a few holiday films. They're so good they shouldn't just be seen once a year.

I'd say CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT is my fave. I also love THE CHEATERS and am so happy TCM is airing it this year. 

Of all the Christmas movies that are scheduled on TCM this year, these are my favorites:

Meet John Doe.  Surprisingly this Frank Capra film starring Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck doesn't seem like it has an official studio backed release.  I believe that this film was public domain at one point or another.  

The Man Who Came to Dinner.  This film has a great cast: Bette Davis, Ann Sheridan, and Monty Wooley.  Sheridan is one of my favorites and Davis is good in her small role.

Meet Me in St. Louis.  Sure this film is schmaltzy, but it is charming and has fun songs.

In the Good Old Summertime. I actually prefer this remake of The Shop Around the Corner.  I love Judy Garland and this film has great songs.

I'll Be Seeing You.  I really enjoy this film with Ginger Rogers, Joseph Cotten and Shirley Temple.  It's interesting that an inmate would be granted leave during the holidays.  I don't believe that this is still practiced today.  

Christmas in Connecticut.  This is a fun Barbara Stanwyck movie.  She is just as adept in comedy as she is in heartwrenching drama. 

Remember the Night.  Another Barbara Stanwyck Christmas movie.  She and Fred MacMurray shine in this Preston Sturges classic. 

Bachelor Mother.  I'm a big fan of Ginger Rogers and I really enjoy this film starring her and David Niven.  It has just the right amount of comedy, drama and Christmas schmaltz. 

The Bishop's Wife.  I love Cary Grant and this is such a great film.  I think I may have accidentally purchased two copies of this film.

Auntie Mame.  Rosalind Russell is hilarious in this film.  

The Kid.  This silent Charlie Chaplin film has comedy and drama.  The scene where Charlie and Jackie Coogan are separated is devastating. 

TCM Films I want to see:

Holiday Affair.  I'm a fan of Robert Mitchum and I haven't seen this film in its entirety. 

Bundle of Joy.  A Debbie Reynolds film I haven't seen yet.

It Happened on 5th Avenue.  This film is scheduled every year and I haven't seen it yet.

All Mine to Give.  I haven't heard of this film.

Period of Adjustment.  I haven't seen this Jane Fonda film yet.

Mrs. Parkington. This film has quite an impressive cast which includes Agnes Moorehead whom I'm a big fan.

Other Christmas films I will watch to round out the season:

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the 1966 cartoon)

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Frosty the Snowman

Home Alone

White Christmas

Holiday Inn

Grumpy Old Men

Christmas Vacation

Never Say Goodbye

Elf

A Christmas Story

It's a Wonderful Life

Miracle on 34th Street (The original)

Love Actually

Susan Slept Here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ALL MINE TO GIVE is very harrowing. The ending is hard to watch. It's not exacltly a feel-good Christmas movie but TCM loves to air it. 

IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE is utterly charming. Excellent cast, fine comedy performances. A real winner from start to finish. Make sure you see it.

BUNDLE OF JOY is a color remake of BACHELOR MOTHER and not as good as the original, but still entertaining.

One film TCM could play is Columbia's MR. SOFT TOUCH (1949) starring Glenn Ford & Evelyn Keyes. It's offbeat but strangely satisfying. A mixture of noir, comedy and holiday cheer.

Screen shot 2017-11-19 at 6.14.40 PM.png

• Like 1

I agree that All Mine to Give is "harrowing". I think it's lumped in with Christmas movies because it has "heart" and there's a lot of snow, but I agree that anyone looking for feel-good holiday fare will be startled by what they see.

2 hours ago, DougieB said:

I agree that All Mine to Give is "harrowing". I think it's lumped in with Christmas movies because it has "heart" and there's a lot of snow, but I agree that anyone looking for feel-good holiday fare will be startled by what they see.

Yeah, they could air it in other snowy months like January and February. Spoilers ahead:

I guess we're supposed to feel good they all found homes at the end, but they were separated and the shot of the boy at the end having lost his family is really not a cheery, happy ending.

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

What Christmas movies were you hoping to see that aren't being shown?

I realize that TCM has some movies broadcast, albeit not at the best times. I wasn't interested in It's A Wonderful Life, as I believe NBC has the franchise to that, although I did see it scheduled on USA last year. I love The Man Who Came to Dinner, but unfortunately I cannot watch it at 2 a.m. or 8 a.m.  Holiday Affair is a terrific favorite, but has aired way too many times. I'll definitely watch The Bishops Wife which I see is on Dec 17 and Christmas Eve. I don't see any airing of Scrooge (Albert Finney) or Miracle on 34th Street or White Christmas. I haven't seen Holiday Inn in ages, which has to be at the top of my list. I also enjoy Junior Miss with Peggy Ann Garner and never see that either.  I realize that buying films is the ultimate way to go and not rely on TV. I don't have access to a DVR. Just wanted to voice my own disappointment, but didn't mean to criticize. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

14 minutes ago, CodyJ said:

I realize that TCM has some movies broadcast, albeit not at the best times. I wasn't interested in It's A Wonderful Life, as I believe NBC has the franchise to that, although I did see it scheduled on USA last year. I love The Man Who Came to Dinner, but unfortunately I cannot watch it at 2 a.m. or 8 a.m.  Holiday Affair is a terrific favorite, but has aired way too many times. I'll definitely watch The Bishops Wife which I see is on Dec 17 and Christmas Eve. I don't see any airing of Scrooge (Albert Finney) or Miracle on 34th Street or White Christmas. I haven't seen Holiday Inn in ages, which has to be at the top of my list. I also enjoy Junior Miss with Peggy Ann Garner and never see that either.  I realize that buying films is the ultimate way to go and not rely on TV. I don't have access to a DVR. Just wanted to voice my own disappointment, but didn't mean to criticize. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

Voicing disappointment is something we all indulge in around here, so don't worry about it. And it got us talking about Christmas movies, which it's definitely time to start doing, so thanks. I'm not familiar with Junior Miss, so I'll be looking for that one. Merry Christmas to you too, Cody.

2 hours ago, CodyJ said:

No, I wasn't coming down on you for your comments. I just wondered what movies you were wanting to see. Not having a DVR or a VCR/DVD recorder must be a nuisance. I watch all of my TCM off of DVR recordings or tapes of them. Too many of the titles I want to see are shown way too late or early for me to watch them live. 

I was also trying to point out the various rights and licensing issues related to showing a movie. Many viewers are unaware of that sort of behind-the-scenes business which directly effects what is shown. Christmas movies seem to be getting more popular each year, and are shown more often. Maybe not on TCM, but across the channel lineup. I noticed last night while scanning through the onscreen TV guide that there were 9 channels showing Christmas movies at the same time. And it's not even Thanksgiving yet! But I suppose we could all use the cheer...Merry Christmas to you, Cody!

Don't watch them, but both Hallmark channels started doing Christmas movies 24/7 a few weeks ago.  Of course, these are mostly their "romantic" type ones and not classics.

I imagine the over the air channels that are also available on most cable systems will have lots of Christmas movies.

I also like LIFE BEGINS AT EIGHT-THIRTY (1942). Monty Woolley plays a drunken department store santa, the complete antithesis of Edmund Gwenn's character in MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET.

Screen shot 2017-11-21 at 2.40.14 PM.png