Sign in to follow this  
RJMacReady

Bogart/Bacall outtakes

4 posts in this topic

TCMers,  I watched "Bacall on Bogart" again recently. I was intrigued by a short segment discussing "The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre." There is a screenshot of 3 strips of film, all showing a blooper where Bogart is unable to control his mule. I am assuming these were from backup cameras? Whatever their source, these strips of film were sitting somewhere doing nothing. I got the impression they were from Huston's private archives...  Did Hawks use more than one camera when filming the B & B movies? More importantly, I am sure not every scene was nailed to everyone's satisfaction on the first take. The four B & B films may not be the greatest work anyone involved ever did, but they are all we have of them together, which makes them invaluable. Is there any chance WBA would go back and dig up every foot of film and transfer everything onto a collector's edition box set? These films are getting very old. Even under the best of conditions, they must be deteriorating. Has any vintage film ever been treated to such an extensive review? The 1945/46 alternate versions of The Big Sleep are a perfect example, and the additional footage was just what was included in the theatrical release. I'm certain there is more; any chance we will ever see it?              RJM

2 minutes ago, RJMacReady said:

TCMers,  I watched "Bacall on Bogart" again recently. I was intrigued by a short segment discussing "The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre." There is a screenshot of 3 strips of film, all showing a blooper where Bogart is unable to control his mule. I am assuming these were from backup cameras? Whatever their source, these strips of film were sitting somewhere doing nothing. I got the impression they were from Huston's private archives...  Did Hawks use more than one camera when filming the B & B movies? More importantly, I am sure not every scene was nailed to everyone's satisfaction on the first take. The four B & B films may not be the greatest work anyone involved ever did, but they are all we have of them together, which makes them invaluable. Is there any chance WBA would go back and dig up every foot of film and transfer everything onto a collector's edition box set? These films are getting very old. Even under the best of conditions, they must be deteriorating. Has any vintage film ever been treated to such an extensive review? The 1945/46 alternate versions of The Big Sleep are a perfect example, and the additional footage was just what was included in the theatrical release. I'm certain there is more; any chance we will ever see it?              RJM

Yea,  it would be great if any additional footage is still available,  but even if it was what organization (e.g. UCLA Film School), would wish to go to the expense of restoring it and making it available to the public.  There is NO market for this type of stuff.   

I would love to see it but mostly for additional Martha Vickers footage.   She was the real beauty in The Big Sleep. 

Jimmy Jazz ( Clash reference?),  I would buy it. Eventually, I expect the film itself will degrade no matter how carefully stored? There are only 4 films with B & B... I know LB is not considered among the greatest, and her volume of work is not remarkable. Whether it be outtakes, or unreleased studio or live recordings, there are a few bands and films  that I want to hear/see everything in the studio vaults, or that people have secreted away in their personal treasure troves. I'm voracious that way, its an unsettled way of fandom. I feel as though I'm being deprived of things a truly devout fan should have access to. To my delight, some things have been released that I never in my wildest dreams envisioned. The Rhino box set of the Stooges album "Funhouse" is a perfect example. Every minute ( so we're told) of the studio sessions is preserved in perfectly mixed stereo. There is no shortage of beautiful women in The Big Sleep! Come to think of it, Hawks seemed to do a good job of surrounding himself with feminine pulchritude... It was all business, I'm sure.                RJM

1 hour ago, RJMacReady said:

Jimmy Jazz ( Clash reference?),  I would buy it. Eventually, I expect the film itself will degrade no matter how carefully stored? There are only 4 films with B & B... I know LB is not considered among the greatest, and her volume of work is not remarkable. Whether it be outtakes, or unreleased studio or live recordings, there are a few bands and films  that I want to hear/see everything in the studio vaults, or that people have secreted away in their personal treasure troves. I'm voracious that way, its an unsettled way of fandom. I feel as though I'm being deprived of things a truly devout fan should have access to. To my delight, some things have been released that I never in my wildest dreams envisioned. The Rhino box set of the Stooges album "Funhouse" is a perfect example. Every minute ( so we're told) of the studio sessions is preserved in perfectly mixed stereo. There is no shortage of beautiful women in The Big Sleep! Come to think of it, Hawks seemed to do a good job of surrounding himself with feminine pulchritude... It was all business, I'm sure.                RJM

My nickname is NOT a Clash reference,  instead my names is James and I play Jazz guitar.  I.e. Jazz guitar and playing jazz standards are my passion.  Studio-era movies are next.

Yea, there are a lot of beautiful women in The Big Sleep.    Some say maybe too many since everywhere one turns Marlowe is running into one and they are giving me the eye.