Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

Actor-singer David Cassidy (1950-2017)

34 posts in this topic

"Nice" is not a word I've ever heard associated with The Cowsills, who I thankfully forgot ALL ABOUT until you guys came along with your clips and all... :angry:

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I almost forgot that The Cowsills performed the theme song for Season 1 of the ABC romantic comedy/anthology series "Love: American Style" during the 1969-1970 season.

The tune was co-written by composer Charles Fox, who later shared a 1973-1974 Grammy Award with Norman Gimbel for Song of the Year -- Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly With His Song." Flack also won two Grammys for the song, including Record of the Year.

Now here's what blows my mind. Beginning with Season 2 (and continuing through Season  5), the song was performed by The Ron Hicklin Singers, a group of professional studio recording artists (billed for the show as The Charles Fox Singers). As it turns out, they provided non-David Cassidy vocals for The Partridge Family.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

"Nice" is not a word I've ever heard associated with The Cowsills, who I thankfully forgot ALL ABOUT until you guys came along with your clips and all... :angry:

Sepiatone

Did you really need to post that?  You have absolutely no idea of how many posts I don't follow through with on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jakeem said:

I almost forgot that The Cowsills performed the theme song for Season 1 of the ABC romantic comedy/anthology series "Love: American Style" during the 1969-1970 season.

The tune was co-written by composer Charles Fox, who later shared a 1973-1974 Grammy Award with Norman Gimbel for Song of the Year -- Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly With His Song." Flack also won two Grammys for the song, including Record of the Year.

Now here's what blows my mind. Beginning with Season 2 (and continuing through Season  5), the song was performed by The Ron Hicklin Singers, a group of professional studio recording artists (billed for the show as The Charles Fox Singers). As it turns out, they provided non-David Cassidy vocals for The Partridge Family.

 

Smells like recording studio/copyright issues to me.  I don't know the specifics in this time period, but they did jump around from studio to studio so maybe that had something to do with things...or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Smells like recording studio/copyright issues to me.  I don't know the specifics in this time period, but they did jump around from studio to studio so maybe that had something to do with things...or not.

One more thing about The Ron Hicklin Singers. They performed the music for the memorable "South American Getaway" sequence in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (1969). The bass singer was Thurl Ravenscroft, who was renowned as the longtime voice of Tony the Tiger in Kellogg's Frosted Flakes commercials ("They're grrrrreat!").

Burt Bacharach and Hal David won two Oscars for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance" -- Best Original Score for a Motion Picture and Best Original Song ("Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head").

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jakeem said:

One more thing about The Ron Hicklin Singers. They performed the music for the memorable "South American Getaway" sequence in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (1969). The bass singer was Thurl Ravenscroft, who was renowned as the longtime voice of Tony the Tiger in Kellogg's Frosted Flakes commercials ("They're grrrrreat!").

 

And of course jakeem, Thurl's deep basso profundo can also be heard every year around this time when he sings "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch".

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to David Cassidy - he was one of the best looking guys I ever saw back in the 1970's.    He had the best hair, smile and eyes.    And the voice was so good too.   I wish his life were happier....such a shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Birthday to Susan Dey today! (age 65)

the only cast member of the Partridge Family still not commenting on Cassidy's death

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us