Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

Actor-singer David Cassidy (1950-2017)

34 posts in this topic

David Cassidy, who became a 1970s teen idol thanks to his central role in the ABC sitcom "The Partridge Family," has died at the age of 67. His family issued a statement Tuesday about his death to People magazine.

“On behalf of the entire Cassidy family, it is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our father, our uncle, and our dear brother, David Cassidy,” his family said in the statement. “David died surrounded by those he loved, with joy in his heart and free from the pain that had gripped him for so long. Thank you for the abundance and support you have shown him these many years.”

Cassidy died of multiple organ failure. He was hospitalized in Fort Lauderdale, Florida last week and placed in intensive care with liver and kidney problems.

During the past decade, he had battled alcohol abuse. In February, he announced that he had been diagnosed with non-Alzheimer's dementia. His mother, the actress Evelyn Ward, died of Alzheimer's in December 2012 at the age of 89. 

Cassidy retired from performing not long after he disclosed his illness.

Related image

He was the son of the actor Jack Cassidy, who tragically was killed in an apartment fire in 1976. His stepmother was the Academy Award-winning actress Shirley Jones, who played the matriarch of a musical brood in "The Partridge Family." The sitcom, which ran from 1970 to 1974, was modeled after the musical family The Cowsills. 

The popularity of the fictional Partridges spilled over into real life. Fronted by Cassidy as Keith Partridge, the band's songs became hits on the music charts. Among their releases: "I Think I Love You" (which reached No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart), "Doesn't Somebody Want to Be Wanted," "I Woke Up in Love This Morning" and "It's One of Those Nights (Yes Love)."

The Partridge Family was nominated for a Best New Artist Grammy Award in 1971.

Among his survivors is his daughter, the actress Katie Cassidy (pictured below with her father), who has starred since 2010 in The CW series "Arrow" as variations of the crimefighter Dinah Laurel Lance/ Black Canary. His half-brother Shaun Cassidy (Jones' son) also became a '70s teen idol as a star of the ABC television series "The Hardy Boys Mysteries." He is now a television writer and producer.

Related image

I grew up in an era before even cable TV, when The Partridge Family was already in reruns. David Cassidy's Keith was one of my favorite TV characters. He was legit funny AND he could sing. The man entertained me during my childhood and even years later

Sad to learn David Cassidy has died. Like his father Jack he had great talent, and a complicated life. Condolences to his wonderful family.

I’m very sad to hear about David Cassidy. There were times in the mid-1970s when he would come over to my house and we even started writing a song together. He was a very talented and nice person. Love & Mercy to David and his family.

So very sad to hear of David Cassidy passing away? He was always so kind and sweet to me. Our shows were both on Friday nights and deep down I dreamt of being a Partridge. His memory and love will live on in my ❤️forever. Love you David. Prayers to his family??

...I tried to catch him of course. I always tried to catch him. But I never could. Now, I will carry him, along with all of the funny/sad/extraordinary days we shared, none more filled with love than these last few at his side.

DPP7BBSWkAEmA3N.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

This will date me: but I remember meeting my girlfriends in our junior high school cafeteria and bringing in a box of cereal that featured a Partridge Family record on it. We each ate as much cereal as we could until the box was empty. Then I took it home (along with my friends) and we cut the .45 record out of the cardboard box, put it on the record player and danced.

We were nuts for David Cassidy. 

Sounds like he had a rough life all in all. I wish his family condolences.

Just FYI: his mom was Evelyn Ward; Shirley Jones was his stepmom, in real life

• Like 3

Heartbreaking....he was one of my favorites when I was a kid.  Watched him on Partridge Family and that was my first record.  I loved his singing voice.  He was one of the best looking men I'd ever seen.    He was the ultimate teen heartthrob with such great hair, bedroom eyes, million dollar smile and had the singing voice to back it up.   Every girl in school swooned over him.   I am so sorry his life was so troubled.   RIP 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, marcar said:

This will date me: but I remember meeting my girlfriends in our junior high school cafeteria and bringing in a box of cereal that featured a Partridge Family record on it. We each ate as much cereal as we could until the box was empty. Then I took it home (along with my friends) and we cut the .45 record out of the cardboard box, put it on the record player and danced.

We were nuts for David Cassidy. 

Sounds like he had a rough life all in all. I wish his family condolences.

Just FYI: his mom was Evelyn Ward; Shirley Jones was his stepmom, in real life

On NBC4 news, during a 2014 interview, David Cassidy admitted he was an alcoholic.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/26/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/david-cassidy-piers-morgan-interview/index.html

• Sad 1

That's a real nice photo of Shaun and David when they were young boys.   David Cassidy was the most handsome man I ever saw.   I remember as a small kid, I used to play his records over and over.   I used to watch him on Partridge family and loved his voice, his hair, his twinkly eyes, his dimples, his teeth with that million dollar smile.   I wish his life was filled with happiness instead of the turmoil he went through.  He seemed like such a great person.  I will miss him. RIP

I was just a 5 yr old kid when TPF first aired on TV, but I loved it, mostly because it had music and I loved musicals.

I kind of used to daydream I was part of their family!  I remember my dad bringing me a beautiful redwood tambourine home from a business trip to Canada. I would blast their records on my portable phonograph and stand on a wood stump in the backyard, shaking that tambourine along to the music like youngest daughter, Tracy, who was my age.:lol:

Eventually, my mom told me the neighbors were complaining about the noise, and I would have to stay inside and play. At that point, I took advantage of the piano in our living room and started pretending I was older daughter Laurie. At the very least, I learned how to play the piano by ear!

RIP, David Cassidy.

My condolences as well.

From the act that inspired them:

1960s

Kind of neat to see that they got together again for old time's sake (and for a benefit concert for their brother who was ill).  Their family went through a lot of tragedy around this time, also they lost one member to Hurricane Katrina.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with the Cowsills.     I was wondering had David Cassidy not taken the role of Keith in Partridge Family - he might have become a great dramatic actor - or a rock and roll star (he played in rock and roll bands prior to Partridge Family).   I think Partridge Family catapulted him into a teen heartthrob, but after he was burnt out and quit the business at 24 years old - by the time he tried to make a comeback a year or two later, he seemed to be "old news" and nobody remembered him.   That hurt him a lot.  He kinda outgrew being a teen heartthrob.

• Like 1

One of the biggest hits for The Cowsills was a cleaned-up 1969 version of the song "Hair" from the controversial Broadway musical of the same title. The recording reached No. 2 on Billboard's pop chart. It was one of several songs from "Hair" that became pop hits for recording artists. Among the others: "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In" (The 5th Dimension), "Good Morning Starshine" (Oliver) and "Easy to Be Hard" (Three Dog Night).

• Like 1

David Cassidy leaves behind an unforgettable legacy.

We will always hear him singing, "I Think I Love You".

RIP, David, we do love you.

A bit more on the Cowsills (the real-life inspiration for The Partridge Family).  I'm far from an expert, but I'll try to get some of this right.  They were a family with 7 children, six boys and one girl.  One of the boys wasn't interested in being in the band.  So really five boys and one girl at the max.  Their dad was in Navy so they were "Navy brats".  All six members who were in the band wanted to play in the band.  The three oldest boys formed the band initially on their own and their parents were there to help them with anything they needed along the way, not the other way around.  As the others came of age, they joined the family band too.  Their mom was said to be a very shy but energetic person.  She performed along with them for support, sometimes in front of crowds as big as 3000 people, and of course on TV. 

Their dad was a confrontational guy.  He got into an argument with the Ed Sullivan producers over one or more vocal microphones not being turned on for the first 20 seconds or so during the first song of their live set (see my previous post for that video).  They would have had 10 different appearances on Ed Sullivan (a big thing!) but 8 of the 9 remaining appearances were cancelled over the dad's confrontation.  It seems that later on, in 1972, they ended up breaking up as a group over some similar types of things that happened.

Here's a picture of all of them in 2004, except the oldest brother, who was ill at the time.  The one who wasn't in the band is fourth from the left, Richard, he was a Viet Nam vet.  He is now deceased.  Also deceased are Barry - killed in Hurricane Katrina (2nd from left - vox, bass) and Bill (not pictured - oldest member - original lead vox, gtr).  Still with us today (from left) are # 1 (Bob - lead vox, gtr), #3 (Paul - vox, original kybds), #5 (Susan - vox, tamb, gtr), and #6 (John - vox, dmz).  Nowadays # 1, 3 and 5 play together as The Cowsills.  Most recently sharing the stage with The Turtles on their Happy Together tour.  Sometimes they are joined by John (#6). 

Outside the family band, Bob (#1) works for an EMT (medical) computer software company, Paul (#3) is a farmer and has done landscaping for Hollywood productions, and Susan (#5) and John (#6) are full time musicians.  John is married to Vicky Peterson of the girl group The Bangles.  It is said he really likes all-girl groups.  John has been a drummer for various bands including the Beach Boys on their 50th Anniversary tour.    Susan has played part time in a band with Vicky Peterson for about 20 years, as well as larger roles in various bands over the years, including currently having her own band.  [Click image to see normally]

TheCowsills.jpg

Here they are all together, the MGM Music president presenting them their award in 1967 for "The Rain, the Park and Other Things".  Figuring that on the left we have Bob, Paul, John, and Susan...then everyone to the left of the MGM guy is still with us.  To the right are Bill, Barry, and Barbara (mom).

Cowsills_gold_record_1967.JPG

Here is a Wikipedia article that some of this info came from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cowsills

Here is a Cowsills appearance from Music Scene TV show in 1969.  This has kind of an interesting 60s/70s thing going on.

I just thought I'd throw this one in.  The Cowsills play the Playboy Mansion (actually just a TV studio in California).  Here is a 1970 appearance on the Playboy After Dark show (1969-1970).  They got this gig because at this time one of the brothers (Bob) was married to one of the regulars on the show.  First of three songs is slow, then it picks up.  Groovy, even if just for bragging rights.  Hugh Heffner appears. 

Well I hope I got most of that correct...

• Thanks 1

I love the duet with David Cassidy and Glenn Campbell....beautiful.

I read that David Cassidy singlehandedly  inspired the puka shell necklace fad back in mid-'70's.

He took a private vacation to Hawaii to get some quiet time and strung some shells together and wore it around his neck...paparazzi snapped a photo of him and when he got back to United States, he saw puka shell necklaces were selling like hotcakes.

People wanted everything that he wore...he was that popular at the time.   He was one of the best looking men - stunningly handsome.

Yes, I remember the Cowsills. They had quite a few big hits for a few years. I wasnt a David Cassidy fan (my younger sister was, she never missed an episode); but I'm sorry to hear of his passing. Another casualty of fame. SAD. :(

29 minutes ago, Hibi said:

What do you mean?

I’m thinking the previous poster is stating that Susan Dey hasn’t released any sort of statement. Who knows, maybe she is too upset. Or maybe she and David Cassidy weren’t close. I don’t think a previous co-star of the deceased is required to provide any statement. The lack of a public statement doesn’t necessarily indicate a lack of caring. 

• Thanks 1

I see. I'm not sure they were on good terms. I remember reading she had been upset with him detailing a one nighter they had during the series in his memoirs......

• Thanks 1

Geez, how can she hold such a grudge all these years?  She was in love with the guy as soon as she met him and had googly eyes for him all through the Partridge Family.    He apologized and even re-wrote the book and wanted to remain friends with her - and was hurt that she never spoke to him.    Those two made a nice pair though....

• Thanks 1

It just occurred to me that "We Can Fly" is a song by The Cowsills that could have been performed by The Partridge Family.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jakeem said:

It just occurred to me that "We Can Fly" is a song by The Cowsills that could have been performed by The Partridge Family.

In passing I did come across at least one song that The Cowsills and The Partridge Family both did play [it could have been this].  I'll have to see if I can get lucky and find that reference a second time.

Here are The Cowsills with original members Susan, Paul (playing David Cassidy's part which in turn was based on them, but nobody in particular), and Bob on the right playing Guitar.  This is part of their show.

Here are a couple other songs from their show, with Susan singing lead. 

I think a drum shield would do wonders for them, or lighter drum technique.;)  I can hear the drums bleeding through every single vocal mic on stage.  Their music is too subtle for that.  Difficult to hear the harmonies.  Otherwise nice.

• Like 1