blueyedblonde1956

Elizabeth Montgomery

37 posts in this topic

I ended up watching five of Liz's TV movies over the weekend. 

She's an actor's actor. I can see what sort of tricks she uses to capture her characters but she does it so well, her performances are flawless. 

Not to over-analyse her, but she often picked stories where the women were struggling to cope with father figures or other male authority types. I don't think she had a very easy relationship with her own dad, Robert, so it's probably why some of these projects appealed to her. 

Who knows can't always believe what u read but I think she was lonely inside. Just a sense I got and acting like with Henry Fonda brought out what she recoiled in life.

There have been plenty of biographies on her.

Yes, she was liberal minded and, yes, part of it was a reaction towards her conservative father, a staunch Republican in his later years. She was very supportive of gay rights in particular, perhaps due to the number of closeted actors and production personnel on Bewitched. She joined Dick Sargent in a Pride event in 1992. Although there weren't many black actors in the early seasons of that show, they increased gradually and the series got a lot of attention in 1970 with a holiday episode in which Tabitha and her black friend switch races. In addition, she narrated some polarizing documentaries in the 1980s and early '90s, some even Oscar nominated, like The Panama Deception, but not terribly liked by the military establishment.

It is obvious that she would NOT have voted for Donald Trump had she been alive and would, therefore, probably not be liked by some of the more conservative posters on this forum since... *sigh*... politics are very much an "either you are with us or against us" discussion these days.

Simply put, Liz Montgomery was a very maternal woman who cared deeply for people. Her children loved her, as did her husbands, since she worked hard not to be as aloof as her own parents tended to be. She always rooted for the underdog and never really had any animosity towards those who worked with her. She was missed by so many when she passed away.

• Like 2

I agree..I am cdn so the politics below the border I leave to people who know what they r talking about. We are a peaceful country and don't intice trouble. I Iiked Liz very much and I am about the age now we lost her then. Yes she was very maternal. As i said she opened the doors for woman in lead roles..lindsay wagner in the 70's was one..lucille ball in the 50's and up..oh the list then was endless.

Look at actreses like "Michelle Yeoh the talented martial arts actress who was in a bond movie has a ton of movie achievements in her craft and does her own stunts. The quiet talent.

Seems since u had a black president there are alot more colored movies on I hv never seen before too I notice.

I heard about the decade channel but again sadly it's not available in Canada bummer would love it too.  I don't know why..heck I use to love Marcus welby M.D. Robert young and Chad Everett medical Centre.  What is ironic is alot of those illnesses back then on those shows are around today..go figure. Makes u wonder lol.

14 hours ago, blueyedblonde1956 said:

That is funny lol..I am up here near Toronto  Ontario Canada 

Ah,  another Canadian.    We have a lot of them here and we love them (well at least I do,  ha ha).  

Sadly due to 'rights' issues,  TCM sometimes has to substitute a film.  I.e. there is a film that TCM can show in the USA that they can't in Canada.    

I'm in Southern California (land of sunshine!),  and in the past 3 or so years many 'retro' stations have sprung up.  These stations feature studio-era movies from studios TCM doesn't feature much (20th Century Fox, Columbia) and 50s and 60s T.V.    Often their programming is theme driven.   

Maybe one of those old-timer Canadians can point you to some stations like that broadcast in Canada. 

Yup i am cdn and proud of it but i envy California's constant sunshine..and no snow..i thrive in the sunny summers here outdoors.. remember drive in movies? First movie I ever saw at one was gone with the wind wow. We usually get alot of sunshine here in Barrie (60 miles) north of Toronto but this last year has been pretty cloudy gloomy..may b after effects of all those nasty hurricanes and things we needlessly keep sticking in space. 

Thankful for TCM takes me on a journey to mostly simpler & happy times. Easy rider lol. Wel if u exclude the wars..i do really like the war movies its good to know our history on both sides of the border and william holden and cliff robertson accomplished that in the devils brigade. I know about the depression but I think it's worse now at least I hv a much better understanding due to the docs. I watch and the movies that really tell the story on those to me periods..my favorite line

"Based on a true story" lol

Oh and I already get tons of stations in my Rogers cable Pkg but TCM.. AMC and Silver screen classics r my favorites over any new movie channels I get..go figure..when I was young and hip I wouldn't hv been caught watching an old movie now I hv a real appreciation for them..groovy! Lol

A guy named Herbie Pilato (obviously a super-fan) wrote two books on her not long ago. Twitch Upon a Star was published in 2012. And a year later, he also published The Essential Elizabeth Montgomery (a guide to her screen work). I ordered a copy of the first one, which I should have in five business days. I may not get around to reading it immediately but thought it would be fun to look at it during the holidays when I have some free time.

It's a shame she didn't get around to writing her own autobiography. Unless she did and the family hasn't published it yet.

• Like 1

Being so young perhaps she didn't think about it or hv the time but maybe I was reading where u got alot of your comments on an article I am reading sums up exactly everything u said word for word. Perhaps she is, gone, but not forgotten..hey I wonder if kirk Douglas is writing one on how to make it to 100 lol..my father made it to 96. Good clean living thank-you again. Oh I just read pilato did interviews with liz. Queen of the tv movies lol. 😊

Apparently "a case of rape" was one of the highest rated tv movies ever back then. I remember her powerful role in that. Still subjects of today too.

She definitely felt trapped by the role of Samantha. It helped a little playing the twin cousin Serena being the more "fun" supporting character. Yet the TV movies of the seventies were the ones she was most proud of, due to the challenge involved as a rape victim and as Lizzie. She especially liked her final roles as detective/investigator types.

When I read about her and watched the one TV biography of her, I felt she more closely resembled Samantha in real life than she ever really wanted to. The other characters she played which she favored more were never really her. Like her father, she had a conservative side to her that matched her TV character even if she still had "leftie" interests and canceled her father's vote each election day.

The episode that was filmed the week after my birthday, but not aired until much later in the year, is a particular favorite of mine because Liz is able to get all Shakespearian in her acting. It was the one with the dying willow tree that Gladys Kravitz (Sandra Gould) wanted removed as a neighborhood eye-sore but Dr. Bombay (Bernard Fox) was helping her to revive. She always wants to save a tree or an orphaned pet, being the natural softie. Fittingly Darrin (still Dick York) and Larry (David White) are constantly befuddled by all of her mood changes due to the tree's "spell" a.k.a. willow-weep-for-me and unfortunately the brownies don't help here in the same way they did in the contemporary I Love You, Alice B. Toklas.

037b37befd0.jpg

• Like 1

I'm glad we're having this discussion of her. 

One thing I noticed in the TV movies I watched is that she is trying to explore issues where she can grow not as an actress but as a human being. For example, there's a 1984 telefilm called Second Sight: A Love Story where she plays a blind woman. The scenes are very challenging, where she has to completely deconstruct the myths of who she is and rebuild herself which leads to regaining her sight. I couldn't help but feel this was very symbolic of Liz's own process not just as an actress but as a human being trying to get in touch with her own vulnerabilities. It's not even her best TV movie but it's a very gutsy performance.

• Like 1

I think she was always a very talented actress even in her earlier roles like that Twilight Zone piece, when she is mute but carrying a weapon.

• Like 1

True I remember the movie I don't like eatching those types of movies on blindness touches a nerve close to home but I wish she was alive today she would hv had alot of issues to fight for south of the border..i read she was actually a relative of Lizzie borden!