blueyedblonde1956

Elizabeth Montgomery

37 posts in this topic

Why do we never ever see Elizabeth Montgomery movies? I haven't seen her in any movies seems like she has just been forgotten! I see her father in films. Lizzie Borden, Mrs. Sundance,  Belle Starr, Act of violence, A case of rape..and so many more....OMG she played in so many great movies in the 70's and up..any chance TCM can bring her movies our of moth balls and let see them..maybe Star of the month. ...SOTM?? Surely people remember our favorite tv witch lol.

Most of those were TV movies-- and very good, well-budgeted TV movies. For some reason, TCM doesn't like to show many films made for television, though there are some in the Turner libary.

I agree that a spotlight on Liz would be nice. Probably her most well-known feature film is JOHNNY COOL, directed by her then-husband William Asher.

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Most of those were TV movies-- and very good, well-budgeted TV movies. For some reason, TCM doesn't like to show many films made for television, though there are some in the Turner libary.

I agree that a spotlight on Liz would be nice. Probably her most well-known feature film is JOHNNY COOL, directed by her then-husband William Asher.

I don't know.   I found the acting in Johnny Cool,  including Liz,  to be really weak.    Of course the plot is over the top and that tends to make good actors look bad,  but I wouldn't recommend that film.  

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't know.   I found the acting in Johnny Cool,  including Liz,  to be really weak.    Of course the plot is over the top and that tends to make good actors look bad,  but I wouldn't recommend that film.  

I didn't say it was her best, mind you, just her most well-known. Primarily because it's a gangster-noir, it's pretty kitschy, and also she didn't make many features and there aren't a lot to choose from. (As we know, she concentrated more on TV work). She's in a romantic comedy with Dean Martin and Carol Burnett called WHO'S BEEN SLEEPING IN BED?, but it's not very great. Though Liz fans will still enjoy her in it.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

I didn't say it was her best, mind you, just her most well-known. Primarily because it's a gangster-noir, it's pretty kitschy, and also she just didn't make many features (concentrating more on TV work). She's in a romantic comedy with Dean Martin and Carol Burnett called WHO'S BEEN SLEEPING IN BED?, but it's not very great. Though Liz fans will still enjoy her in it.

I was saying 'I don't know' as it relates to TCM doing anything with regards to Liz;  Like you said she wasn't in many films and most weren't any good,  and I really don't want TCM to get into the showing of made-for-TV films for post studio-era actors and mostly-TV-actors. 

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I was saying 'I don't know' as it relates to TCM doing anything with regards to Liz;  Like you said she wasn't in many films and most weren't any good,  and I really don't want TCM to get into the showing of made-for-TV films for post studio-era actors and mostly-TV-actors. 

Why not? Some were very good. From a practical standpoint, MGM and UA produced a lot of made-for-TV movies that are in the Turner library...so I can TCM deciding to use some of them, if they fit in with a certain theme.

It would kind of be fun (and different) if they did a monthly spotlight on classic telefilms.

12 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Why not? Some were very good. From a practical standpoint, MGM and UA produced a lot of made-for-TV movies that are in the Turner library...so I can TCM deciding to use some of them, if they fit in with a certain theme.

It would kind of be fun (and different) if they did a monthly spotlight on classic telefilms.

I admit I'm old school.    So to me showing TV type entertainment from the 50s and 60s that featured studio-era actors would fit the TCM brand,  but not made-for-TV films featuring post studio-era actors.

In addition I would rather TCM use any monthly spotlight on those Republic, Monogram, United Artist and other so called 'non-major' studio films than TV material.        

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I admit I'm old school.    So to me showing TV type entertainment from the 50s and 60s that featured studio-era actors would fit the TCM brand,  but not made-for-TV films featuring post studio-era actors.

In addition I would rather TCM use any monthly spotlight on those Republic, Monogram, United Artist and other so called 'non-major' studio films than TV material.        

Well, I definitely agree with your last paragraph! :)

Interesting I had no idea that Lizzie Borden and the others were only tv movies.  Was sure she did some theatre movies. Maybe this is why I don't see enough of Sam elliott westerns either. I just think it's sad whether tv or theatre that they r not respected & remembered  for there craft just the same. 

So TCM only shows movies that played at the theatre?...I c thanks for letting me know. I love TCM I just didn't know it was strictly theatre/stage...

With more and more digital subchannels beginning to broadcast, the chances that more tv movies make it to air increase.

I would suggest keep an eye open in that arena. Lizzie Borden was a major tv movie. It should be airing somewhere at some point. 

Some of these TV movies she made are on YouTube. I watched one last night and two this morning. She really was a fantastic actress.

I think I am going to do a month of her TV films in the Essentials forum. The Lizzie Borden one is just as good (perhaps better) than any feature film made during the same year, 1975. 

Funny i am old school too

.heck i still hv a crt 4:3 tv i like it better to b honest and less complcated then wide angle viewing..plugs ins..contrast issues aspect ratios and they only last 5-10 yrs lol.That is great! I am new back to here since it's easier typing on my cell then sitting at my pc which was hard on my back. So u say essential forum I will try and find that since I am still figuring out the layout on here and so many different forums, screens and topics.

It's good I get an email this way I know about replies I receive. 

So many good movies..good actors..look at kirk Douglas and Olivia dehavilland almost 101 wow..the last of the best Era in my opinion. Those golden age days were the best. Thankyou so much. 

What site on here would u recommend would b best to chat about the greats there r just too many sites to find them on my cell like bette Davis...Katherine Hepburn...burt lancaster..John Wayne. .Spencer Tracy...clint..boggy..cary..james stewart..omg the list is just endless I love them all from the mid 30's-up lol

Oh I did see 2 of Elizabeth old movies Belle Starr and Mrs Sundance on utube the other day since your msg...I am glad westerns hv not died out.

• Like 1

Here's the link for the Essentials forum: http://forums.tcm.com/forum/129-the-essentials/

You can find my reviews on the TopBilled's Essentials thread. This month I am covering Deanna Durbin films. In December I will do holiday classics.

So I think in January I will go over some Liz Montgomery TV movies. I'm excited to discuss these more in depth. I loved the ones I just watched. I will definitely cover the Lizzie Borden film and the Belle Starr one. Haven't decided yet what other two are worth highlighting.

If you want to discuss other performers, you should be able to search all the forums. Not sure where you can find the search button on your cell phone. But typically it's in the upper right hand corner of each page.

Thankyou..you know she did so many movies in the 70-80 I can't even remember them all now but I do remember they were good..she was an avenger if I recall out for the bad guys while remaining vulnerable. Thankyou again for responding to my  I am 61 and hv spent alot of my life watching movies and tv..these days I am just hooked on tcm..except for the silent and musicals not my style lol.

Just now, blueyedblonde1956 said:

Thankyou..you know she did so many movies in the 70-80 I can't even remember them all now but I do remember they were good..she was an avenger if I recall out for the bad guys while remaining vulnerable. Thankyou again for responding to my  I am 61 and hv spent alot of my life watching movies and tv..these days I am just hooked on tcm..except for the silent and musicals not my style lol.

You're welcome. It's nice to see "new" classic film and classic TV fans here on the forum. Liz made TV movies until the year of her passing, which was 1995. Here's her list of credits on the Internet Movie Database:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000548/

Yes I was looking at her long list so many..nice to see her play with her hubby foxworth in belle starr. Another  Jacqueline Bisset another great actor & Barbara Stanwyck and Susan Hayward but tcm always seem to play the same 2-3 movies of theirs..over and over..I'll cry tomorrow or Lilian Roth and Stella stevens and little eve ..they had so many other good movies..I cried in say goodbye maggie cole with Susan Hayward. But thankyou "area51" and govt testing sites. Ahem..as to jac bissett who did so many and ya just never see her movies on tcm tv either except for the deep..I loved her in  1981 I think rich and famous with candice bergen which I believe was an updated version of old acquaintance with bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins I know she enjoyed the shaking her at the end lol and funny how her 1st movie was airport and I knew then she would go on to make alot of top movies too and did.

I am great at picking winner actors long before they become movie stars just a gift of mine.Just so many as I said forgotten. If they hv a vault why do i see the same movies over and over..like cool hand luke

Oh and horse and animal movies.talk about pass me the box of kleenex. 

There's an idea make us cry all month with sad animal movies..war horse black beauty..hachi a dog's tale omg. No don't lol..thx again for your kind comments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blueyedblonde1956 said:

Funny i am old school too

.heck i still hv a crt 4:3 tv i like it better to b honest and less complcated then wide angle viewing..plugs ins..contrast issues aspect ratios and they only last 5-10 yrs lol.That is great! I am new back to here since it's easier typing on my cell then sitting at my pc which was hard on my back. So u say essential forum I will try and find that since I am still figuring out the layout on here and so many different forums, screens and topics.

It's good I get an email this way I know about replies I receive. 

So many good movies..good actors..look at kirk Douglas and Olivia dehavilland almost 101 wow..the last of the best Era in my opinion. Those golden age days were the best. Thankyou so much. 

What site on here would u recommend would b best to chat about the greats there r just too many sites to find them on my cell like bette Davis...Katherine Hepburn...burt lancaster..John Wayne. .Spencer Tracy...clint..boggy..cary..james stewart..omg the list is just endless I love them all from the mid 30's-up lol

Oh I did see 2 of Elizabeth old movies Belle Starr and Mrs Sundance on utube the other day since your msg...I am glad westerns hv not died out.

I agree that Douglas and DeHavilland are the last of the best from their era.  

As for chatting about favorite actors,  I recommend the "Your Favorites" sub-forum or the "Films and Filmmakers" sub-forum.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, blueyedblonde1956 said:

Thankyou...will do 😊

Just wonder,  have you seen many Robert Montgomery movies?   He was under contract at MGM during the 30s and was in many fine films like Night Must Fall (a very different role for him),  When Ladies Meet,  and The Last of Mrs. Cheyney,  with his most famous film being Here Comes Mr. Jordan for Columbia pictures.  

33 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Since TCM is sponsoring our message board discussions, I thought I'd mention there are two pages of Liz Montgomery DVDs for sale at Shop TCM.

http://shop.tcm.com/search?q=elizabeth+montgomery&mod=AP

Good info.    Funny but I was watching Decades (the new station that tends to focus on marathon type programming) and their theme was made for T.V. Movies.      

• Like 1

That is funny lol..I am up here near Toronto  Ontario Canada so I doubt we cdns get that decades station here? Or would we, I wonder? Hv to google but probably only americans get it..I hv over 700 vhs movies dvd only a handful. Heck i still hv a 4:3 crt tv which believe it I bought new only 12 yrs ago. I just wish that tcm wouldn't fall into the trap of repeating the same movies over and over..I am trying to figure out what Monday - Sunday schedules r..SOTM is wed..but can't locate what's the themes for the other days..one minute I am watching good old bette davis or susan hayward..and why do i never see say goodbye maggie cole.I dont know where to get that exact info and hard on my cellphone..to hard sitting at my pc hv a back disability. I do plan to upgrade to widescreen when I can afford the big change of my whole ent. System it seems..need future proofing. I am old school and change doesn't come easy.  Am on disability so 16 hours a day I am TCM & tv..I know alot about movies and god would love that TCM cruise but I guess its just a dream of mine. I miss Robert Ozborne. .These female hosts r boring..give us a host from our Era..oops getting off topic thx for the suggestion will look into decades but again I doubt it's offered up here and how? Themes..I know the monthly schedule is on here but tcm screen layout is difficult i search for hours trying to figure out the day to day weekly themes? Maybe instead of spending my whole day on my cell perhaps tcm could spell it out on tv occasionally..like to us audience wed is SOTM Friday is this.monday is that..to hard typing on my small cell screen and my pc its too hard sitting..i wanna enjoy tv not spend all day researching. Thank you very much for your help and info..die hard tcm fan.

She did a great non-speaking role with Charles Bronson in an episode of The Twilight Zone ("Two") three years before Bewitched, as a brunette.

Bewitched was always my favorite sitcom of the sixties, largely because of her. Like Larry Hagman in Dallas, she appeared in every episode as the star. I think David White holds the record of appearing in the most episodes after her as Larry Tate, surviving both Darrins. Everybody but her could have time off just like the Bobbies, Sue Ellens, Ms. Ellies and so forth on the other show, but every episode of each show required an appearance by Samantha and J.R. Ewing.

Unfortunately she didn't have a long career in radio (a.k.a. Suspense's enormously popular and constant repeats of "Sorry Wrong Number") and Orson Welles helping her break into Hollywood like "Mother" Agnes Moorehead, so she pretty much was identified in that one TV role much as Hagman (who also had I Dream Of Jeannie to off-set his more villainish role).

• Like 1

Yes Bronson was another great. Elizabeth sadly cancer got her was really on a role literally..she was doing that new p.i. series show near the end but she did alot of diverse roles that touched on some important subjects..kind of the Michaela Quinn of the 60 -70's. I miss her along with so many. Even watching the Oscars now without burt...kirk..peck..Lucy..Diller it just isn't the same..I would love to see a flashback of the old Oscars I do look them up on utube...it's a whole different world now..I miss the 60's so much. They didn't swear on tv either...where has the respect gone..but ya Elizabeth was 1 woman that opened the door for the trail that followed wasn't she?