Sign in to follow this  
Bethluvsfilms

Is it crazy to own so many movies?

31 posts in this topic

When my brother-in-law found out how many films I had on DVD, he said, "Oh--she has a library!"

With 700 films, it doesn't make you a freak; it makes you a librarian.  :)

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, classicsuz said:

When my brother-in-law found out how many films I had on DVD, he said, "Oh--she has a library!"

Now that is an awesome way of looking at it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, classicsuz said:

I think it makes you a collector, just don't end up like the one in the Fowle's novel and film.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I have 700 movies on DVD (I know my family thinks I'm nuts) but I can't help it, I am such a movie freak. Too many great movies to watch.

Am I a freak?

Yes.  But not as much as me.

Hey, there's worse things to collect. Also, 700 movies is amazing! I don't have anywhere near that number. And I've always thought it's a lot more fun to have something that makes you happy and different. And if it makes you feel any better, I've been keeping a ledger for the past couple years of all the "old" movies I've watched (1930s-1960s). 

• Like 1

So Beth, you say over many years you've collected 700 DVDs, and many of them being films made during Hollywood's studio era, RIGHT?!

Well, offhand I wouldn't necessarily say you were or are a "freak", per se.

(...nope, what I'm thinkin' here is because it's taken you all these many years to accrue THAT many DVD copies of classic films, and YET during all that time it's just been RECENTLY in which you've begun to grace us around here with your intelligently expressed and knowledgeable postings at this website about classic movies...well, you're NOT a "freak", you must just be a freakin' procrastinator, THAT'S all)

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I have 700 movies on DVD (I know my family thinks I'm nuts) but I can't help it, I am such a movie freak. Too many great movies to watch.

Am I a freak?

If possessing a lot of movies makes one a "freak" then Yes you are, and so am I...
But I consider 700 DVD's on the low scale of "Freakdom." There those here (and elsewhere) that have titles numbering into the thousands (and even tens of thousands). Which probably makes us er them truly freakish.
But as others have said, I would like to consider ourselves as "collectors" or better yet "Librarians" (especially if we have our titles listed by genre and indexed in some manner).
And, if collecting a lot of movies is along the lines of a more "obsessive-compulsive" nature, then I would counter that there are certainly far worse habits to have, and that it is one of the more benign afflictions. 
Regardless, if you find comfort in knowing that you are not alone, then you should feel quite comfortable here, as when it comes to movies, this is one of the "freakenist" best places to be!

Or, as some others here might have posted: "gooble goble, gooble goble, we accept her, we accept her!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

So Beth, you say over many years you've collected 700 DVDs, and many of them being films made during Hollywood's studio era, RIGHT?!

Well, offhand I wouldn't necessarily say you were or are a "freak", per se.

(...nope, what I'm thinkin' here is because it's taken you all these many years to accrue THAT many DVD copies of classic films, and YET during all that time it's just been RECENTLY in which you've begun to grace us around here with your intelligently expressed and knowledgeable postings at this website about classic movies...well, you're NOT a "freak", you must just be a freakin' procrastinator, THAT'S all)

;)

LOL, yes, that probably is a better word for me, that or librarian.

I think I just love movies in general, I probably have as much from the modern era as I do from the classic studio era....but I guess I just wanted confirmation that I am not a weirdo. It really is great to discover this forum with so many who share my fondness for films.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Am I a freak?

Only if you're still buying DVD's, and not Blu-rays.  :P  And buying-not-renting was an addiction problem in both the early DVD and Blu-ray days, when a lot of people used it as an indulgent substitute for chocolate or shoe-shopping before the format became common.

Seriously, the "Streaming/digital will replace disk!" push of 2010 has pretty well imploded by now--Now, it's become a complaint that all subscription streaming services are either "new TV networks", or drowning in indie and imports, simply because what nobody thought of at the time popped the bubble:  Greedy studios wouldn't WANT to license movies to subscription streaming, since they were too busy trying to line their own pockets on digital sales...Which the public never saw any actual tangible reason of their own to buy.

(If you've ever surfed the non-Netflix services, ever notice that Amazon Prime, Hulu, PlutoTV and Vudu Movies On Us are showing the EXACT SAME movies every month, and if they're not indie or public domain, they're almost 100% MGM, United Artists or Orion?  Namely after the company went bankrupt in the late 00's, and the content suddenly became easier to license.)

It's more of a complaint now, to say "Millennials don't watch old movies, but where could they if they ever became curious?"  Which has made public libraries and disk collections more of a necessity now, literally to preserve culture.  Basically, remember when we all first started buying our favorite movies on tape or disk thinking we were, quote, "Preserving them in case of the Apocalypse"?...Dig 'em out, folks, the Apocalypse is HERE.  :blink:

• Like 2

I buy DVDs and Blu Ray (depends on what is available, price and any extras available).  A lot of the movies I want aren't available on Blu Ray, so I have to take what I can get.  I also figure, it's a black and white movie, does the Blu Ray really make a difference?  I also have a lot of series on DVD/Blu Ray because I had to create somewhat of a replacement when Nick at Nite went by the wayside and I couldn't watch all my shows on a regular basis anymore.

Anyway, I have a lot of movies too, though I've never bothered to count them.  I actually lost a bunch of my movies last year (well I'm sure the disks still work, but the cases are gross) when my basement flooded.  I think I've replaced all those movies and more.  I love movies too and like to have my own physical copies available so that I can watch any particular movie when the mood strikes.  I don't like the emphasis on having digital copies over physical, only because if the server crashes, you could lose everything.  Also, sometimes I just don't want to have to stream everything.  I just want to find the disk and put it into a machine. 

I wouldn't consider anyone a freak or weirdo because they have a lot of movies.  I know I don't care if anyone thinks I have too many movies.  I figure, a large movie collection isn't hurting anyone.  If I were knocking over 7-11s, selling crack on the street corner and/or mugging people on the street in order to score cash to buy my movies, then yes, there'd be an issue.  Otherwise, enjoy watching and growing your collection.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Only if you're still buying DVD's, and not Blu-rays.  :P  And buying-not-renting was an addiction problem in both the early DVD and Blu-ray days, when a lot of people used it as an indulgent substitute for chocolate or shoe-shopping before the format became common.

Seriously, the "Streaming/digital will replace disk!" push of 2010 has pretty well imploded by now--Now, it's become a complaint that all subscription streaming services are either "new TV networks", or drowning in indie and imports, simply because what nobody thought of at the time popped the bubble:  Greedy studios wouldn't WANT to license movies to subscription streaming, since they were too busy trying to line their own pockets on digital sales...Which the public never saw any actual tangible reason of their own to buy.

(If you've ever surfed the non-Netflix services, ever notice that Amazon Prime, Hulu, PlutoTV and Vudu Movies On Us are showing the EXACT SAME movies every month, and if they're not indie or public domain, they're almost 100% MGM, United Artists or Orion?  Namely after the company went bankrupt in the late 00's, and the content suddenly became easier to license.)

It's more of a complaint now, to say "Millennials don't watch old movies, but where could they if they ever became curious?"  Which has made disk collections more of a necessity now, literally to preserve culture.  Basically, remember when we all first started buying our favorite movies thinking we were, quote, "Preserving them in case of the Apocalypse"?...Dig 'em out, folks, the Apocalypse is HERE.  :blink:

I only have DVD's, no blue-rays as of yet. Am I missing out on anything by not having blue-ray? I suspect that a lot of the movies I have aren't available on blue-ray as of yet.

41 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't like the emphasis on having digital copies over physical, only because if the server crashes, you could lose everything.  Also, sometimes I just don't want to have to stream everything.  I just want to find the disk and put it into a machine. 

The only time I ever seriously considered buying a permanent-library digital movie (as opposed to being loaded down with free ones from disk codes and Warner survey bonuses) was when I didn't have the heart to dig one of my last two remaining VHS's out this past Thanksgiving, and the traditional showing of the George Pal "Brothers Grimm".  I thought, "It's had a VHS release, and it's on current digital-**** MGM...So maybe there's a family-film print of it selling on Amazon or Vudu, and I can keep a virtual placeholder in place of the tape until/if it ever sees a disk restoration."

Nnnope.  If it's not on disk, it's not on digital..."All your movies forever", my Aunt Fanny's hat.  :angry:  And no Warner Archive, Instant or otherwise, either.

32 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I only have DVD's, no blue-rays as of yet. Am I missing out on anything by not having blue-ray? I suspect that a lot of the movies I have aren't available on blue-ray as of yet.

Not much for obscure catalog, but for established classics, one viewing of Wizard of Oz on Blu-ray has singlehandedly converted most of the faithful.

Blu-rays not only "look better", since they were designed for the new '08 move to HDTV, they also have more storage to keep all the featurettes in one place, which makes them better for collectors.  And that leaves aside a few other tricks Blu can do that DVD can't, especially for us 3DTV owners.  B)  It's not that DVD's are bad, the way that DVD first made hard VHS cassettes look like an insult, but if you're collecting and preserving, it's a quantum step up.  And, of course, all Blu players play DVD's.

Problem is, that while Warner has been moving its popular Archive titles to MOD Blu, the brick-and-mortar retail market for disks is so dead-in-the-water that studios like Paramount aren't taking much interest in vintage catalogue titles, so that's started a cottage industry in independent third-party Blu companies like Twilight Time, Olive Films and Kino Lorber, picking up the slack in Fox, MGM and Columbia's back catalog.

And Twilight Time--who, as their name suggests, went in thinking disks were "dying"--only releases limited runs of 3000 disks of a rare title.  They're in the middle of a sale right now, and when they say "Low quantity before sold out"...they mean it.  (Me, I'm still waiting for them to double-dip Columbia's Harryhausen-Sinbad movies I missed the first time around.)

14 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

If you don't have an ultra high def monitor, or if the movies haven't been upscaled to 4K, then you're not really missing much. Blu-ray have a much larger capacity, so can carry additional extras, but generally, most of the main features can still fit on a standard DVD.
I still have no Blu-rays in my collectiion. But my monitor/s are only HD at best so far, so I don't really know what I might be missing.
I spent a lot of money (and time) converting my VHS collection over to DVD, then adding more DVD's to that, so I don't see myself upgrading again for a long while, and if I do, it certainly won't be my entire collection. Besides, there are many VHS tapes that never made it to DVD, leave off Blu-ray.
For simplicity, I have been recording to, and converting much of my disc collection to compact hard drives.
The price of these 4 TB compacts is cheaper now than quality DVD discs, and I can literally put hundreds of titles on a single drive, which sure beats out hauling and sorting through cases of DVDs.
Makes it convenient to carry much of my collection with me when traveling as well.

15 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I buy DVDs and Blu Ray (depends on what is available, price and any extras available).  A lot of the movies I want aren't available on Blu Ray, so I have to take what I can get.  I also figure, it's a black and white movie, does the Blu Ray really make a difference?  I also have a lot of series on DVD/Blu Ray because I had to create somewhat of a replacement when Nick at Nite went by the wayside and I couldn't watch all my shows on a regular basis anymore.

It's a case-by-case basis. If the manufacturer did a decent remaster/restoration, then the difference can be night and day. It also depends on your TV's specs...how big is it, how far from the screen do you sit, what's the refresh rate. You can have a fantastic TV, but if the disc mastering is cruddy, then it won't look great. Also, the disc can be pristine, but if your TV is in the small range, or a medium size set with you sitting a distance away, then there won't be a noticeable difference. 

One thing I learned was that DVD's that looked good on a standard definition TV look worse on an HD TV, even when "up-converted". That was a disappointment, as I naively thought that they would look the same while HD discs would be much better. Some DVD's still look good, the ones that were put together well to begin with, but others look hazy, or have a lot of digital "noise". I also noticed a distinct drop in quality of DVD picture from some companies when Blu-Ray was introduced, such as Warner Brothers, as if they felt the buyers needed to be further prodded. 

9 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I will admit that some of my Blu Rays are films that have been restored.  I typically buy my Criterion films in Blu Ray, only because the price differential between the Blu Ray and DVD isn't that big a deal.  I do not know if the Criterion Blu Ray are superior to the DVD, I would imagine that they both have the same restored print.

I do own Singin' in the Rain on Blu Ray, because I got it as part of the film's 60th Anniversary boxed set.  

There are other Blu Rays I have like All About Eve and Sunset Blvd because the Blu Rays were cheaper than their DVD counterpart. 

I also have The Dick Van Dyke Show on Blu Ray because the price difference between it and the DVD set was very minor.

I just upgraded my DVD of White Christmas to Blu Ray.  I only upgraded it because again, the price difference between the two formats was minimal; I upgraded because the new 60th Anniversary Edition had a ton of extra features that made the upgrade worth while. 

I don't think there's really much of a difference between the Blu Ray version and the DVD version, unless of course you're upgrading an older DVD to a newly restored film on Blu Ray.  I don't know much about the technical aspects of Blu Ray versus DVD, but I would agree that for most classic films, the Blu Ray really doesn't matter much. Also, as you noted, most of the classic films available on Blu Ray are the tried and true classics like Casablanca.  It is companies like Warner Archives, Olive, Twilight Time, Kino, etc. that are starting to release more of the lesser known classics on Blu Ray.  

4 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

If you don't have an ultra high def monitor, or if the movies haven't been upscaled to 4K, then you're not really missing much. DVDs have a much larger capacity, so can carry additional extras, but generally, most of the main features can still fit on a standard DVD.
I still have no Blu-rays in my collectiion. But my monitor/s are are only HD at best so far, so I don't really don't know what I might be missing.
I spent a lot of money converting my VHS collection over to DVD, then adding more DVD's to that, so I don't see myself upgrading again for a long while, and if I do, it certainly won't be my entire collection. Besides, there are many VHS tapes that never made it to DVD, leave off Blu-ray.
For simplicity, I have been recording to, and converting much of my disc collection to compact hard drives.
The price of these 4 TB compacts is cheaper now than quality DVD discs, and I can literally put hundreds of titles on a single drive, which sure beats out hauling and sorting through cases of DVDs.
Makes it convenient to carry much of my collection with me when traveling as well.

Ultra High Definition aka UHD aka 4K is different from HD aka Blu-Ray, which are generally 1080. Some are made with a 2K or 4K master, but only the 1080 will appear on an HD TV. I do not have, nor am I currently planning, on switching again to 4K.

I don't have a lot of blu-rays in my collection, but I find the improved quality is more noticeable with color films, vs. black and white.  Others may disagree.  I would replace my current DVDs with blu-rays if those movies had exceptional cinematography, where it would enhance the feeling of being "drawn in".

Just now, darkblue said:

Are these 700 all commercial (or "store-bought") DVD's? 

Store bought, although in some cases I had to special order through Amazon.

2 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Store bought, although in some cases I had to special order through Amazon.

I ask because in addition to several hundred commercial dvd's bought from vendors, I also have more than 400 dvd's of movies I've recorded from TCM broadcasts, as well as more than a thousand that I've copied from borrowed dvd's.