Movie Mike

TCM Backlot D/FW Area

20 posts in this topic

Looking for film lovers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area to start a local chapter. Lot’s of opportunities to get together and enjoy not only TCM screenings, but select screenings at the Alamo, Studio Movie Grill, Magnolia, Texas Theatre and the annual festivals around town. I even have a home theater that will comfortably seat six, so BYOM and let’s movie! Reply if you’re interested and I’ll be in touch!

Movie Mike

OK. I’ll make one more attempt to sweeten the deal to form a DFW TCM Backlot Chapter. I am a graduate of the USC film school with a degree in cinema production (long ago when we actually shot and cut on film!) I’ve been in “the business” in Texas for almost 30 years. My work has won Emmy’s, a Peabody Award, and has been screened at film festivals throughout the world...including Sundance, Tribeca, and SXSW. I’d like to share with you my knowledge and experience as a filmmaker and a filmgoer, because regardless of how we earn our paychecks, we all share a common passion...A LOVE OF MOVIES! And there is so much we can learn about films just by watching and discussing them with each other. 

So, if you’d like to form a DFW TCM chapter, please let me know!

THANKS!!!

Would love to join a D/FW chapter and get together with other lovers of classic film! Went on the first TCM cruise years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it! I teach a History in Film social studies elective course in a large suburban Dallas high school.

Teacher Oz,

Fantastic!! Thrilled you want to be a founding member of our DFW chapter the TCM Backlot movie lovers! Congratulations, you're in!  Now, we need three more cineasts who are Backlot members to join the club to make it official. I know you're out there. Don't wait! We have so many classic films to watch, and so little time to do it!

I'm going send a member request through TCM member services to see if we can more easily contact Backlot members in the DFW area. Will keep you posted.

And, TCM Backlot memberships make great holiday gifts! 

Movie Mike

I am interested in joining DFW chapter. I have been a long time fan of TCM and love classic films. I will be joining TCM Backlit in the next few days as a new member and would love  to get together with other fans.

Mike, please count me in. I'm a lifelong film buff living in Irving, and I've now joined TCM Backlot. Would love to be part of a DFW chapter and have the chance to meet and converse with other fans of classic movies!

TJV & WFen2,

Thanks so much for your interest in a DFW Backlot chapter. Nice to meet you both!

Alright!! We are one member short of starting the DFW chapter. So, anyone in the DFW area who is a new or renewing Backlot member, just reply to this post, and we can make the official DFW Backlot chapter a reality! Come on, let’s movie!!!!

Movie Mike

Hi Mike, I am interested in joining this chapter. I'm very new to Backlot and to DFW (Southlake).

Thanks, 

Kat

I would love to join a classic movie fan group. I am in Arlington, Tx, which does not have an existing group. Mike I see that you are attempting to form one. You seem to have much to offer as far as education, job experience, and movie watching accommodations. Sounds great. I would love to join.

Mike, has there been any word on whether we can set up a local chapter, now that six of us are interested?

I’ve emailed the folks at TCM Backlot to confirm our new chapter. As soon as I get an official response, I’ll pass along the news.

Thanks everyone!

Movie Mike

I am very interested in joining a F.W./Dallas group!

Looks like Movie Mike and I share some common interests. I am an "old-school" Projectionist, Precision Machinist and Toolmaker.  I am currently in the midst of rebuilding my early (1950s) Centurys and Magnarcs to new condition. I also have a hodgepodge of Simplex/IPC equipment. Dallas Maker Space is a excellent organization as well as well as the Vintage Radio and Phonograph Society of DFW.

• Thanks 1

Mike,

Did you hear anything last week from TCM? Is there anything I can do to help?

One possibility: Maybe a group of us could just meet for one of the TCM/Fathom Events screenings of "The Philadelphia Story" on Feb. 18 or 21. We could decide on which showing and theater, and maybe wear the T-shirt or pin we received with our membership so we can all spot each other. Then, while we're there, maybe decide on the best game plan for starting a chapter…?

I did hear from the folks at TCM Backlot about forming our DFW Chapter. You can see the application on the TCM Backlot website on the "Start a Local Chapter" page. Here is the information they requested from each member:

1.  Names and email addresses for each chapter member.

2.  And your "local theater" that shows TCM Big Screen Classics.

So, if everyone interested will email me your name and email address to moviemike@post.com, I'll submit that information for our application. I love the idea of getting together for the "The Philadelphia Story" screening this month. Since we need to pick a theatre location, let's find a place central to where we all live. So, if you let me know where you live in the email, I'll send back a choice of locations to choose from. Also, what day and time works for each you you? I usually attend the Sunday afternoon screenings.

If you have any questions, just send me an email. 

Thanks,

Movie Mike 

Thanks, Mike! Just sent it to you. As I say in the email, Sunday afternoon works for me as well, and I live in Irving.

Hi Mike,

Sending you an email with my info as well if it isn't too late to join y'all.  I too am in Irving.

Hi Mike

I officially joined today, and will see how this goes.

Looking forward to hearing about Club plans for Philadelphia Story.

New to the group.  Would enjoy attending the screening.  Movie Mike, I’ve sent you my info.  Looking forward to it!