skimpole

What's happening to oscar month February 2018?

28 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, chaz45342 said:

So I'm hoping when the February schedule is finally released, it will contain a lot of of new classics including some that are TCM premieres.

That may be the case, but usually when there are one or two or a few questionable rights issues, they leave those timeslots as TBA and post the schedule regardless.

I'm not too concerned about the schedule not being up yet. It is two months away, after all, and I'm sure it will be up long before February 1. Perhaps this is the beginning of a new trend of posting the schedule only one month in advance.

23 minutes ago, chaz45342 said:

Wow, it's December 6th and the "March" schedule still isn't up yet!  :-)

In all seriousness, I've got to think the lack of the February schedule is likely due to negotiations for some movie rights to films not owned by TCM.  I've seen a lot of complaints that February is just a rehash of movies already played, and although that might be partly true, historically, they've made an effort to get some more recently released oscar-nominated films. In past years, I can remember watching "Dreamgirls", "Chicago", "Broadcast News", "Running on Empty", "Goodfellas", "Diner", "Apollo 13", "Chariots of Fire","The Artists", "The King's Speech", "The Queen", "Shakespeare in Love", all 3 of the "Lord of the Rings" Trilogy (back to back, I might add) and I'm sure a few more that I'm leaving off.  Many of these have only been seen on TCM during 31 Days of Oscar and haven't been shown again.

So I'm hoping when the February schedule is finally released, it will contain a lot of of new classics including some that are TCM premieres.

They usually make sure to show the Lord of the Rings trilogy every February too.