Sign in to follow this  
limey

Do you think having polls on the forum is a cool idea?

Do you think having polls on the forum is a cool idea?  

7 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Just testing this here poll thingy... Do you think having polls on the forum is a cool idea?

• Yes! I watch movies, so I want to to vote on 'em!
    • No! I want to read reasoned prose, not checkbox lists.
    • I'm only here for the Wine Club... 'hic'...

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/2017 at 06:59 AM

8 posts in this topic

Just testing this here poll thingy. If you're seeing this, then the poll function probably didn't work...

Looks like you still need to fill in the fields under the Content tab, even if you're creating a poll.

Sure.  I see nothing wrong with the idea.  I even just voted up there. :)

There have been "unofficial" polls done in here before, but my problem with them is that some aren't content just to state simple "yes" or "no" answers without including up to 8 or 9 paragraphs of personal opinion and critique.  All that needless filler gets tedious, like JAKEEM'S birthday thread.  :unsure:

Sepiatone

Note I answered NO.    While I love polls and lists,  they are only interesting to me if there is interaction between users as to the 'why' behind their choices  (done in a friendly way of course).  

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sure.  I see nothing wrong with the idea.  I even just voted up there. :)

There have been "unofficial" polls done in here before, but my problem with them is that some aren't content just to state simple "yes" or "no" answers without including up to 8 or 9 paragraphs of personal opinion and critique.  All that needless filler gets tedious, like JAKEEM'S birthday thread.  :unsure:

Sepiatone

59 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Note I answered NO.    While I love polls and lists,  they are only interesting to me if there is interaction between users as to the 'why' behind their choices  (done in a friendly way of course).  

As far as comments are concerned - there's nothing to prevent elaboration by adding a comment. You can even ignore the poll & go straight to commenting. The poll part really just provides a way to tabulate response based on votes actually cast (I've a feeling that the voting table may 'sticky' to the top of the page on multi-page threads).

In the end, it's really just another way to kick-start a discussion.

• Like 1

Based on my experiences on other sites I would question whether polls on this site would have any validity at all.  Too many people would simply ignore them.  So, you would end up with a poll with too few participants.

I think it depends on the site and the users. One TV show site I post on, they are done quite often where people enjoy participating in polls.