Sign in to follow this  
wouldbestar

Goodbye to Another Forum

5 posts in this topic

:(It's happening again.  Compuserve is following in the footsteps of IMBD and shutting down it forums on December 15t.  With our own Boards reduced and these forums gone it's getting harder to express oneself online in civilized places.  It's sad.    

21 minutes ago, wouldbestar said:

:(It's happening again.  Compuserve is following in the footsteps of IMBD and shutting down it forums on December 15t.  With our own Boards reduced and these forums gone it's getting harder to express oneself online in civilized places.  It's sad.    

Oh wow. My first non-work related connection to the internet was though Compuserve & I kept that account alive right through to the time AOL took over. I had no idea that it still existed, except as a portal in AOL's portfolio.

The more recent social media platforms seem to have largely usurped the former importance of bulletin board style forums & one of my old haunts - usenet.

Progress, huh?

:rolleyes:

While I miss them and sometimes enjoyed them, I would take some issue with the term "civilized" when discussing the IMDB message boards, especially in their end days, which I think is part of the reason they got shut down. Lot of hate speech on there ...

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I've never heard of them, but I hate to hear when viable venues for expression are closed down.

Agreed about the closure, but.. oh, I wish you'd used your Sutherland Dirty Dozen meme again!

:D

• Haha 1