Bogie56

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films from 1946

313 posts in this topic

On 4/22/2018 at 6:32 AM, Bogie56 said:

I posted this in the 'I Just Watched' thread in Aug 2017:

MV5BNzVjOTk2NDMtYWQyNi00MmJlLWIzYjEtYWI3

La Otra, or The Other One is a 1946 Mexican noir starring Dolores Del Rio.  I wasn't long into it when I had the feeling that this would make a good Bette Davis film.  It then twigged that this was indeed remade with Bette Davis as Dead Ringer (1964).

The remake follows the original screenplay very closely but only Rian James' story is given credit in the latter.

B8EZ_A7CAAE2rB1.jpg

It's hard to beat Bette Davis but Del Rio and co-star Augustin Irusta are better suited for the parts.  They are younger for starters and I found Karl Malden a bit annoying in Dead Ringer.

But the real star of La Otra is the cinematographer, Alex Phillips.  Phillips was from Renfrew, Ontario but moved to Mexico in 1931 to work on their first sound film and stayed there until his death in 1977 (source, imdb).  There are many lovely B&W noir shots.  This is worth tracking down for fans of the genre and Del Rio.

I think Dolores del Río gave her better performances for Roberto Gavaldón in La Otra (The Other One, 1946), and El Niño y La Niebla (The Boy and The Fog, 1953).

• Like 2

1. Sciuscià/Shoeshine. (One of my favorite movies of all time)

2. La Belle et La Bête/Beauty and The Beast

3. Paisà/Paisan

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Arsan404 said:

1. Sciuscià/Shoeshine. (One of my favorite movies of all time)

Shoeshine is one of my al time favourites as well.  De Sica is probably the greatest director of children in cinema.  He's on a post war roll.

The Cannes Film Festival began in 1946.   It’s Best Picture winner was …

La-Bataille-Du-Rail.jpg

The Battle of the Rails (1946) Rene Clement, France

• Thanks 2

MV5BODgwNGU2MTItMTc0ZS00MTEwLWFmZjctMjA2

Ingmar Bergman made his feature film directorial debut with Crisis.  It is a melodrama not unlike those of Gustaf Molander.  A young lady has been living with a foster mother who operates a beauty salon.  Her birth mother, a prostitute comes back into her life and threatens to lead her astray.  It's worth a view.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After a hiatus during WWII the Venice Film Festival restarted in 1946.  The winner that year was …

9e57634c6d4383ce61739ec3e20617c2--robert

Paisan (1946) Roberto Rossellini, Italy

• Thanks 2

The winner of the 1946 Prix Louis Delluc Best Picture was …

30f19c4fe6ff1cc0e415b7b943532e8d.jpg

Beauty and the Beast (1946) Jean Cocteau, France

• Thanks 2

Bd2B7c.jpg

Utamaro and His Five Women by Kenji Mizoguchi is based on the real life story of an 18th Century Japanese painter who specialized in the female form.  Mizoguchi of course would go on to do more acclaimed films such as The Crucified Lovers (1954) and Ugetsu (1953) but this is by no means an early work.  A look at his imdb page shows dozens of films from 1923 on.  Utamaro is a bit dry like his earlier 47 Ronin (1941) but I wasn't expecting any sword fights in this one so there was no disappointment in that regard.

05766a03ac4773d6cf0a188e0be850caa2bdfda1

• Like 4

Italy’s Nastro d’Argento Film Journalists 1946 Best Picture winner was …

Paisan-1946.jpg

Paisan (1946) Roberto Rossellini, Italy

• Thanks 2

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:38 AM, Bogie56 said:

Apologies in advance as Triumph of the Will is my number one FF of 1935.  I first studied it in school as an industrial work of propaganda.  We also watched some Allied propaganda films.  If you can separate its subject matter from its form, TOTW is an astounding technical achievement.  With regards its subject matter it can be argued that as an industrial, the filmmaker was hired not only to document her client but to make him look good too.  And finally I might add that it is one of the most powerful horror films of all time.

Nazi propaganda or not, Leni Riefenstahl-(lived to be age 99!) created extraordinary motion picture/documentaries, here & the 2 "Olympia docu's"

Fine subject matter, but for me I've never really been a fan of Foreign-Language Cinema. & by far prefer "The Dream Factories" of "Hollywoods Glorious Golden Age" & "Studio-System"-(circa 1925-1960/63) easily the most!!!

However, there are of course a few genuine foreign flix I adore, most notably 1989's homage to the movies "Cinema, Paradiso" (Italy), "Shoah" (l985-French-German & an extraordinary 9hr docu on the Holocaust), "Ran" (l985-Japoan)-(amazingly Akira Kurosawa's one & only BD nomination?), "La Strada" (l956-Italy), "Das Boot" (l982-German)-(esily to date thee greatest submarine film!), & though Silent, many historians include actress Maria Falconetti's performance in 1928';s "Passion of Joan of Arc" (France) as arguably the finest ever delivered by an actress!) & Abel Gance's also in-nominated silent epic bio "Napolean" (l927-France)

The 1946 Argentinian Film Critics Association Best Picture Award went to …

220px-Celos_1946_film.jpg

Celos (1946) Mario Soffici, Argentina

• Thanks 2

The Murderers Are Among Us (Die Mörder sind unter uns) is a German film dealing with the war crimes of this country, a so-called Trümmerfilm. It takes place among the ruins of post-war Berlin. A former miltary surgeon (Ernst Wilhelm Borchert) and a concentration camp survivor (Hildegard Knef) take up their lives together and try to overcome their war trauma. 

29w6avt.jpg

• Like 4