Bogie56

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films from 1954

534 posts in this topic

  1. La Strada, Federico Fellini, Italy
  2. Sansho the Bailiff, Kenji Mizoguchi, Japan
  3. Godzilla, Ishiro Honda, Japan
  4. Seven Samurai, Akira Kurosawa, Japan
  5. A Lesson in Love, Ingmar Bergman, Sweden
  6. Twenty-Four Eyes, Keisuke Konoshita, Japan
  7. The Sheep Has Five Legs, Henri Verneuil, France

This is clearly the peak year for Japan, although I still have an Italian winner.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1955 Academy Awards gave an honorary award to …

samurai_i_musashi_miyamoto-679190152-mme

Samurai 1: The Legend of Musashi (1954) Hiroshi Inagaki, Japan

The 1957 Academy Awards for 1956 films introduced the Foreign Language Film Category.  It’s winner was …

lnUgOmpPM44R38sgAMaElN6s9o2-0-230-0-345-

La Strada (1954) Federico Fellini, Italy

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The winner of the 1956 New York Film Critics Best Foreign Film was …

220px-La_Strada_Poster.jpg

La Strada (1954) Federico Fellini, Italy

Nominated for the 1955 New York Film Critics Best Foreign Film was …

MV5BMmVmY2ZhZjAtMWQ3Ni00YjdmLWEzN2ItYjk0

Letters From My Windmill (1954) Marcel Pagnol, France

Nominated for the 1956 New York Film Critics Best Foreign Film …

MV5BNmZhYzBlMWYtZTJhNi00ZTY0LWE2NDYtZWQw

Samurai 1: The Legend of Musashi (1954) Hiroshi Inagaki, Japan

Edited by Bogie56
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Nominated for the 1956 New York Film Critics Best Foreign Film …

MV5BNmZhYzBlMWYtZTJhNi00ZTY0LWE2NDYtZWQw

Samurai 1: The Legend of Musahi (1954) Hiroshi Inagaki, Japan

I have to ask, since this is the second posting using this title, where it came from. Every copy I've ever seen, including both the DVD and now the Blu-Ray that I own, has the title as Samurai 1: Musashi Miyamoto. Even the original Japanese title was Miyamoto Musashi. I see where one of the alternate title on IMDb includes "The Legend part, but not the misspelling of his name. I bring this up since Mushashi Miyamoto in one of the great cultural heroes of Japan, part fact and part legend, perhaps comparable to Robin Hood in England or Wyatt Earp in America, in lasting impact if not deeds and personality. It's not a big deal, it's just odd, like seeing a movie about Robin Hood entitled The Legend of Robby.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I have to ask, since this is the second posting using this title, where it came from. Every copy I've ever seen, including both the DVD and now the Blu-Ray that I own, has the title as Samurai 1: Musashi Miyamoto. Even the original Japanese title was Miyamoto Musashi. I see where one of the alternate title on IMDb includes "The Legend part, but not the misspelling of his name. I bring this up since Mushashi Miyamoto in one of the great cultural heroes of Japan, part fact and part legend, perhaps comparable to Robin Hood in England or Wyatt Earp in America, in lasting impact if not deeds and personality. It's not a big deal, it's just odd, like seeing a movie about Robin Hood entitled The Legend of Robby.

My notation of this film (discounting the spelling mistake) came from a book of the Oscar winners and nominees which predates the imdb and dvds.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

My notation of this film (discounting the spelling mistake) came from a book of the Oscar winners and nominees which predates the imdb and dvds.

Oh, okay...then the "Musahi" was just a typo? That explains it! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1954 National Board of Review Best Foreign Language Film was …

1228923344-intendente-sanshu.jpg

Sansho the Bailiff (1954) Kenji Mizoguchi, Japan

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Belgium Film Critics Association Awards of the Grand Prix de Union de la critique de Cinema began in the early 1950’s.  In 1955 it awarded this 1954 film Best Picture …

220px-Neapolitan_Carousel.jpg

Neapolitan Carousel (1954) Ettore Giannini, Italy

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1954 Argentinian Film Critics Association Best Picture Awards went to …

209d.jpg

Barrio Gris (1954) Mario Soffici, Argentina

MV5BNGQxZmYxYzUtMWEwNi00Y2E2LThhZjUtMGM1

The Bastard (1954) Lucas Demere, Argentina

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us