Bogie56

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films from 1974

1,474 posts in this topic

The 1973 winner of Sweden’s Guldbagge award was …

en_handfull_karlek-471777757-mmed.jpg

A Handful of Love (1974) Vilgot Sioman, Sweden

The 1974 winner of Sweden’s Guldbagge award was …

det-sista-aventyret-swedish-movie-poster

The Last Adventure (1974) Jan Halldoff, Sweden

• Thanks 1

Italy’s David di Donatello 1973/74 Best Picture winners included …

bread-and-chocolate-movie-poster-1973-10

Bread and Chocolate (1974) Franco Brusati, Italy

Italy’s David di Donatello 1974/75 Best Picture winners included …

gruppo_di_famiglia_in_un_interno-6476505

Conversation Piece (1974) Luchino Visconti, Italy

001b.jpg

The Murri Affair (1974) Mauro Bolognini

• Thanks 1

pane.jpg

I saw Franco Brusati's comedy Bread and Chocolate at the first Toronto Film Festival.  That first year had to be the deal of the century.  If memory serves a student pass was about $38 which offered unlimited tickets to everything.  The lineups weren't bad.  I was never turned away and we went from one venue to another all day and all night long.  I think I worked it out that by the end of the festival I was paying about 60 cents per movie.

But back to Bread and Chocolate my favourite foreign language film of the year and its star, Nino Manfredi my choice for best actor of the year.  Manfredi plays an Italian guest worker in Switzerland.  He loses his work permit when caught **** in a public place but instead of leaving the country he joins others as illegal immigrants.  A theme that is still quite relevant today.  Anna Karina co-stars.

• Like 4

svoj-sredi-chuzhih-chuzhoj-sredi-svoih-a

At Home Among Strangers, A Stranger Among His Own - Another great red western. The Reds and Whites are fighting. In order to get aid from the League of Nations and feed their poor the Reds are sending in a gold shipment. Of course, it is robbed by the Whites. Comrade Shilov is blamed because his brother was a traitor who fought for the Tsarists. Shilov goes undercover and infiltrates the enemy camp to find the gold and clear his name. This movie is very good and clearly influenced by the spaghetti westerns. Yuri Bogatyryov shines as Shilov and the nice soundtrack is done by Artmeyev who also scored for Solaris and Stalker. This is a very good film about the greed caused by gold and the innocent clearing his name. Some of the film is in color and some is in B&W but this isn't for an artistic reason but just that they were low on color film stock. Very great western and I recommend it. The nice Artmeyev soundtrack-

• Like 4

MV5BODliMGFjY2UtNzc1YS00YjU2LWJiZDYtZDk5

The Ocean - Three classmates who graduated from the USSR Naval Academy rejoin years later when in the Northern Fleet. The fate of each of them has developed in its own way. One of them is the captain of the ship; the other two are experiencing personal problems. Circumstances compel each of them to behave differently. Often, they do not reveal their best. This film questions the true value of human relationships and our responsibility to our fellow men. The most moving scene is where the main character says "the meaning of life is a military secret" when delivering a message of hope to his wife. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Italy’s David di Donatello 1973/74 Best Picture winners included …

Italy’s David di Donatello 1974/75 Best Picture winners included …

gruppo_di_famiglia_in_un_interno-6476505

Wikipedia says this movie was shot in English, though there is a dubbed Italian version.  That makes sense, since Lancaster is the key character, and the movie consists of him talking with the other characters.  Had it been considered a foreign language film, it would have been #7 on my list.

theyshootpictures.com top 1000 movies 1974

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul  Rainer Werner Fassbinder, West Germany #138

Celine and Julie Go Boating  Jacques Rivette, France #178

The Enigma of Kasper Hauser  Werner Herzog, West Germany #498

The Phantom of Liberty  Luis Bunuel, France #504

Alice in the Cities  Wim Wenders, West Germany #576

Lancelot du Lac  Robert Bresson, France #634

Edvard Munch  Peter Watkins, Sweden #672

We All Loved Each Other So Very Much  Ettore Scola, Italy #801

Arabian Nights  Pier Paolo Pasolini, Italy #845

My Little Loves  Jean Eustache, France #867

Jonathan Rosenbaum's top 1000 movies

Alice in the Cities  Wim Wenders, West Germany

Benilde or the Virgin Mother  Manoel de Oliveira, Portugal

*Celine and Julie Go Boating  Jacques Rivette, France

La Guele Ouverte  Maurice Pialat, France

Lancelot du Lac  Robert Bresson, France

Part-Time Work of a Domestic Slave  Alexander Kluge, West Germany

The Phantom of Liberty  Luis Bunuel, France

Reason, Debate, and a Story  Ritwak Ghitak, India

Stavisky  Alain Resnais, France

The Traveler  Abbas Kiarostami, Iran

An asterisk (*) means the movie is one of Rosenbaum's top 100 movies.  Note that dates are not exact.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, skimpole said:

Wikipedia says this movie was shot in English, though there is a dubbed Italian version.  That makes sense, since Lancaster is the key character, and the movie consists of him talking with the other characters.  Had it been considered a foreign language film, it would have been #7 on my list.

I cannot say with certainty but my guess would be that Lancaster was the only actor performing in English when the film was shot.  It is strange to be sure but more often than not you had one actor speaking in English and the other actors responding in Italian or French - everyone performing in their native tongue.  The Italians were dubbing all their films in those days even if they were shot entirely in Italian.  So there are no clean cut lines with many of these films.

• Confused 1

The 1974/75 winners of Mexico’s Ariel Best Picture Award included ….

306579-la-choca-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg?k=2

La Choca (1974) Emilio Fernandez, Mexico

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

MV5BZGIxOTU2YjAtZDlhYi00OWU1LTk4ZWEtZmNk

The Fate of Kum Hui and Un Hui - This one begins right after Korea is split following WWII. A man hides in a cave from the rain. He comes across another very ill man with twins who dies. The man takes the twins to get medical help. He is told by the South Koreans that "liberation does not mean free medical care" so he heads North. The twins are split and the one in the North becomes better and works as cheerleader type person for the workers (this was called "speed campaign" at the time) while the one in the South becomes a singer in a brothel/ cabaret type establishment. The Speed campaign scenes serve as musical interludes from the drama sections. She is beaten by her pimp and then ran over by a car leaving her in poverty and permanently in crutches. This film is very unsubtle propaganda as you can imagine. One interesting aspect is that this is the earliest instance I can recall of post-WWII/ Park Chung-hee era South Korea being depicted in Northern cinema. South Korea is depicted as full of shantytowns and homeless people wandering through the streets. South Korea would also be portrayed later in the Unsung Heroes (1978) film series and the Nation and Destiny (1990s) film series (Japan, Germany, UK, Canada and a few others are also depicted in this series). Larry Allen Abshier is also visible for literally a brief couple seconds at the end of this film as a border guard at the DMZ.

• Like 3

Nominated for the 1975 New York Film Critics Best Picture Award …

travolti_da_un_insolito_destino_nell_azz

Swept Away (1974) Lina Wertmuller, Italy

The winner of the 1978 New York Film Critics Best Foreign Film Award …

Miloslav-Disman-Bread-and-Chocolate.jpg

Bread and Chocolate (1974) Franco Brusati, Italy ****

• Thanks 2

The winner of the 1973 Prix Louis Delluc Best Picture was …

l-horloger-de-saint-paul.jpg

The Clockmaker of St. Paul (1974) Bernard Tavernier, France

The winner of the 1974 Prix Louis Delluc Best Picture was …

MV5BNjM4NzIxOWItNTYxZi00NjAxLTkwMjUtODVh

The Slap (1974) Claude Pinoteau, France

• Thanks 2

The winner of the 1974 Prix Jean Vigo was …

Hommequidort.jpg

The Man Who Sleeps (1974) Bernard Queysanne, France

• Thanks 1

Michael Gebert’s Golden Armchair Award for the 1974 foreign film was …

1722362uyapfamaazgsnjbeg_waxp7psxukmjjx5

Ali, Fear Eats the Soul (1974) Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Germany

Michael Gebert’s Golden Armchair Award for the 1975 foreign film was …

kaspar_hauser_jeder_fur_sich_und_gott_ge

The Enigma of Kasper Hauser (1974) Werner Herzog, Germany

• Thanks 1

The 1974 Belgium Film Critics Association Best Picture Award went to …

com_5.JPG

Somewhere Beyond Love (1974) Luigi Comencini, Italy

• Thanks 1

1.) La Prima Angélica/Cousin Angelica. Carlos Saura. Spain. With José Luis López Vázquez, Fernando Delgado, Lina Canalejas.

00102e9a_medium.jpeg

2.) Caridad/Charity. Jorge Fons. Mexico. With Katy Jurado, Pancho Córdova, Julio Aldama, Stella Inda.

still_4_3_790x398.jpg

3.) Los Nuevos Españoles/The New Spaniards. Roberto Bodegas. Spain. With José Sacristán, Antonio Ferrandiz, Amparo Soler.

1484176911537.JPG

4.) Lacombe, Lucien. Louis Malle. France. With Pierre Blaise, Aurore Clément, Holger Löwenadier.

Lacombe-Lucien-1974-800x656.jpg

5.) Profumo di Donna/Scent of a Woman. Dino Risi. Italy. With Vittorio Gassman, Alessandro Momo, Agostina Belli.

perfu.jpg

6.) Le Fantôme de la Liberté/The Phantom of Liberty. Luis Buñuel. France. With Jean-Claude Brialy, Adolfo Celi, Michael Lonsdale, Monica Vitti.

fantome-de-la-liberte-1974-07-g.jpg

7.) Tormento/Torment. Pedro Olea. Spain. With Ana Belén, Francisco Rabal, Javier Escrivá, Concha Velasco.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 3

Caridad is the third segment of Fé, Esperanza y Caridad/Faith, Hope, and Charity, a movie that shows the darker, tragic side of irony.

Fe, directed by Alberto Bojórquez, is about a young woman (Fabiola Falcón) who goes on a pilgrimage to help his sick husband. The miracle is granted, but at a high price.

still_2_3_790x398.jpg

In Esperanza, directed by Luis Alcoriza, a young man (Milton Rodrigues), who supports his mother (Anita Blanch), accepts to play Jesus Christ and is nailed to a cross in a freak show. Another wish granted at a high price.

fe-esperanza-y-caridad-1974.jpg

Caridad, is my favorite segment, and I think it's the best by far. A fistfight between two boys becomes a bureaucratic nightmare for a woman. Katy Jurado is fantastic as the mother of one of the boys, giving one of her best performances.

The last scene is devastating. And ironic.

hqdefault.jpg

The only reason I placed Caridad in 2nd place is because it's a segment, but what a segment.

• Like 3

Italy’s Nastro d’Argento Film Journalists 1973/74 Best Picture winners …

f9215b5b2d3f78534b8702f1c709b6d7.jpg

MV5BMmRkZWI3NzQtMDQyNi00MDEyLTkzODQtMmMw

The Phantom of Liberte (1974) Luis Bunuel, France

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The 1973 winner of the Mainichi Film Award was …

Caste_of_Sand_Poster.jpg

Castle of Sand (1974) Yoshitaro Nomura, Japan

• Thanks 2

SweptAway2.jpg

Lina Wertmuller's Swept Away (1974) is another film that may not be quite PC by today's standards.  Giancarlo Giannini and Mariangela Melato are marooned on a desert island.  She is a rich socialite while he is a rough sailor who holds her class in contempt.  He refuses to continue the role of servant when on the island and demands a role reversal in return for his help to survive.  Will love bloom?

I understand the Madonna remake was a disaster though she was well cast as the b___.

• Like 3

MV5BNmZmN2UwNGUtZTIzZi00ZDE0LTk4ZjUtYmZl

Salvatore Samperi's Lovers and Other Relatives (1974) is a coming of age comedy where a teenage boy spends his summer vacation with his beautiful sister-in-law.  And my God, she is Laura Antonelli!!

• Like 3

s,725-48eefb.jpg

Ettore Scola's We All Loved Each Other So Much (1974) is about three resistance fighters who maintain their friendship after the war.  It's not bad but a bit sentimental in an Italian way at times.  Vittorio Gassman stars.

• Like 3

time_of_the_apes_tv_series_476551412_lar

Time of the Apes - Compilation movie of the "Saru no Gundan" series. This is basically a non-copyright infringement version of planet of the Apes. A man, a woman and a kid get frozen in a cryogenic freezer and awake in the future to learn that apes now rule the world. Yeah, this is a very cheesy film but worth viewing if you like so bad it's good movies. 

latest?cb=20091025120129

• Like 3

Winners of the 1975 Moscow International Film Festival included ….

v1.bTsxMTIxNTkzMTtqOzE3OTQ5OzEyMDA7MTUzN

We All Loved Each Other So Much (1974) Ettore Scola, Italy

• Thanks 1