Bogie56

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films of all time

4,322 posts in this topic

timeslip3.jpg

G.I. Samurai (1979) Kosei Saito, Japan

The is one very screwed up movie.  Venus is out of alignment in the night sky for some unexplained reason which leads to a time shift for a specific group of modern day Japanese G.I.’s for some other unexplained reason.  Back in time they go with their tank, helicopter, patrol boat and tons of machine guns to the Shogunate warring era.  Their commander loves the idea and joins forces with a warlord in conquering his opposing army.  One montage of them having fun with machine guns and spears is very gay!  There is no consideration for altering the past or killing anyone’s ancestors.  It’s saving grace is a prolonged action sequence at the end with many extras.

• Like 2

MV5BMjAwODM2NjMxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDA4

Carmina Burana,  Jean-Pierre Ponnelle, West Germany

Film version of the Carl Orff work with Lucia Popp and Hermann Prey. The music is beautiful and the sets and costumes are wonderful. Some of the supernatural/ demonic themed costumes reminded me quite a bit of Haxan. My favorite part was the rendition of "In Taberna Quando Sumus." 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Kapo (1960), Gillo Pontecorvo, Italy  -  8/10

7386.JPG

I thought this was really good as well.  My number two of 1960 just behind La Dolce Vita.  I saw it in 2017 and was surprised that I hadn't even heard of it.  I believe it has also been on TCM.

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I thought this was really good as well.  My number two of 1960 just behind La Dolce Vita.  I saw it in 2017 and was surprised that I hadn't even heard of it.  I believe it has also been on TCM.

Kapo is also another release-year anomaly, in that virtually every source I have in print, as well as The Criterion Channel where I watched it, lists it as a 1959 movie, but IMDb lists it as 1960, so that's what I went with.

One of my movie books also states that it's mainly in English, but the version I saw was primarily in Italian, and no English is heard except for one brief scene with a British POW.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Kapo is also another release-year anomaly, in that virtually every source I have in print, as well as The Criterion Channel where I watched it, lists it as a 1959 movie, but IMDb lists it as 1960, so that's what I went with.

One of my movie books also states that it's mainly in English, but the version I saw was primarily in Italian, and no English is heard except for one brief scene with a British POW.

The version that I saw was entirely in Italian too.  Both wikipedia and the imdb infer that it premiered at the Venice film festival in September 1960.  I would think that is pretty solid.  The general release in Italy followed after that.

1ac776eb-02ea-4015-8ab0-1527591482de.jpg

Amanece, Que no es Poco (Dawn Breaks, Which is no Small Thing). 1989. Dir. José Luis Cuerda. Spain. With Antonio Resines, Luis Citges, José Sazatornil, Cassen.

A man on sabbatical takes his father, who just murdered his wife, on a trip around the country to comfort him. They stop at a small town inhabited by very strange people who seem to live in their own universe.

Amanece.jpg

Very funny movie, with absurd situations and some surreal sequences. The cast give excellent performances.

08-07-2014-9-34-39-1024x765.jpg

• Like 3

Nous_sommes_tous_des_assassins_photo__54

We Are All Murderers (1952) by France's Andre Cayette looks at the life of a petty criminal and murderer who is given some legitimacy when he joins the resistance amidst WWII.   But his actions become uncontrollable and after the occupation he is arrested and put on death row.  The remainder of the film is an indictment of the death penalty and hence the film's title.  Not bad but may be too slow for some.  It takes a while getting to its point and my wife had given up by that time.

• Like 2

Since Bogie's looking back, I want to mention a film that I liked very much. I'm not sure it has been mentioned in this thread. It's a 1987 Belgian movie called Crazy Love. I saw it in London when it was released but haven't heard much about it since. It's based on Charles Bukowski's writings (particularly The Copulating Mermaid of Venice, CA) and focuses on three stages in the life Harry Voss, from youthful exuberance to descent into misery.  Harry has terrible acne, which is important to the story.

The film's ending is as odd as they get. A strange, sad, and haunting film.

wi1eFrEkh3UU4T9dMcSDXAE3k7P.jpg

Here is a quote from an article I just found about the film, followed by the link to the article, although I do not consider Crazy Love a horror film.

"We first meet Harry as a twelve year old who falls in love with a princess who graces the screen of his local cinema. But after an encounter with an older woman who has had a bit too much to drink, his illusions of love are shattered. In reality things aren’t always as perfect as they are in fairytale movies, and thanks to Harry’s older friend his early attempts at getting laid leave him with experiences of adolescent horror. In the second story Harry is a nineteen year old ridden with acne, and this has turned him into a romantic pariah (if you throttled his neck, you’d produce enough custard to fill a bucket). Obsessed with a beautiful classmate, but lacking the confidence to talk to her, he instead turns to the liquor bottle knowing he can depend on it and that it won’t judge him because of the way he looks. However, through some drastic circumstances he does eventually get to dance with his teenage crush, albeit by having his head wrapped up in toilet paper for an oddly touching scene. The third and most disturbing story in the film finds Harry as a fully-grown homeless alcoholic who finally finds his perfect love in the form of a female corpse he steals from a parked hearse."

https://horrornews.net/65198/film-review-crazy-love-1987/

• Like 1

My top FF films of 1996 of the 14 that I have seen are ….

kolja14.jpg

1.  Kolya (1996) Jan Sverak, Czech Republic

2.  Microcosmos (1996) Claude Nuridsany, Marie Perennou, France [I may have seen the dubbed version]

3.  Goodbye, South Goodbye (1996) Hou Hsiao-hsien, Taiwan

4.  Temptress Moon (1996) Chen Kaige, China

5.  Ridicule (1996) Patrice Leconte, France

6.  The Eighth Day (1996) Jaco van Dormael, Belgium

7.  Prisoner of the Mountains (1996) Sergei Bodrov, Russia

8.  Le Polygraphe (1996) Robert LePage, Canada

9.  Drifting Clouds (1996) Aki Kaurismaki, Finland

10. L’Appartement (1996) Gilles Mimouni, France

Thieves/Les Voleurs (1996) Andre Techine, France

Gabbeh (1996) Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Iran

Village of Dreams (1996) Yoichi Higashi, Japan

and I’ve also seen …

Irma Vep (1996) Olivier Assayas, France

• Like 4

My top FF films of 1996

MV5BZjU0ODQwMTEtMDcyZi00YzgyLTk1NTgtOWQ4

1. Liebe Dein Symptom wie Dich selbst!, Katharina Höcker, Claudia Willke, Germany

2. Red Cherry, Daying Ye, China

3. Irma Vep, Olivier Assayas, France

4. La Promesse, Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne, France

5. Nation and Destiny: 11- Hong Yong Ja,  Yi Ch'un-gu, Ik-gyu Choe, North Korea

6. Nation and Destiny: 12- Hong Yong Ja,  Yi Ch'un-gu, Ik-gyu Choe, North Korea

7. Extra Terrestrian: Die Ausserirdische, Lidko Entinger, Siggi Entinger, Germany

• Like 4

conte_d_ete_1.jpg

1. A Summer’s Tale, Éric Rohmer, France
  2. Drifting Clouds, Aki Kaurismäki, Finland
  3. Earth, Julio Medem, Spain
  4. Kolya, Jan Sverak, Czech Republic
  5. Tesis, Alejandro Amenábar, Spain
  6. Irma Vep, Olivier Assayas, France
  7. Alles Moet Weg, Jan Verheyen, Belgium
  8. When the Cat’s Away, Cédric Klapisch, France
  9. The Apartment, Gilles Mimouni, France
  10. La Promesse, Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne, Belgium
  • Like 4

This is one of my favorite movies of the 1990s: Kondom des Grauens (1996)

6ngg90e.jpg

I can not post the title in English because Mr. Otto Censor will asterisk it to oblivion. It is the word: "Killer" and the common term for a prophylactic popularly sold in U.S.A. by Trojan. I bring this to your attention as I am sure no other person will post of it as it was nominated for no awards in any category in any country in any year.

This movie is such delightful trash! It is so very funny that I had to stop the DVD several times while I was watching it the first time because I was laughing so very hard I knew I would miss things if I did not pause to compose myself. It romps through virtually every gross joke concerning homosexuality and a certain part of male anatomy. 

Buried within the slime is vibrant commentary on sexual standards and mores. It creates the question as to which is more truly disgusting: the movie or society. It is not an easy answer.

I watched also and liked: Irma Vep (1996).

The Little Cat (1996) is quite delightful little movie. I do not know if it would make sense to most people here but it is a precious little thing which I encourage all to watch if it is available.

• Like 3

pu6er031.jpg

1. Pusher, Nicolas Winding Refn, Denmark
  2. Microcosmos, Claude Nuridsany & Marie Perennou, France/Switzerland
  3. Gamera 2: Attack of the Legion, Shusuke Kaneko, Japan
  4. Ponette, Jacques Doillon, France
  5. Killer Con_dom, Martin Walz, Germany
  6. Beyond Hypothermia, Patrick Leung, Hong Kong/South Korea

bh1.jpg

I've also seen:

stendhal1.jpg

• The Stendhal Syndrome, Dario Argento, Italy
  • Rebirth of Mothra, Okihiro Yoneda, Japan

vlcsnap-2015-04-25-22h50m51s220.png

1001 Movies You Must See

• Gabbeh, Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Iran
  • Three Lives and Only One Death, Raoul Ruiz, France/Portugal
  • Like 4

1. A Summer's Tale  Eric Rohmer, France

2. A Moment of Innocence  Mohsen Makmalbaf, Iran

3. Three Lives and Only One Death  Raul Ruiz, France

4. Comrades: Almost a Love Story   Peter Chan, China (Hong Kong)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CoraSmith said:

conte_d_ete_1.jpg

A Summer’s Tale, Éric Rohmer, France

A Summer's Tale, part of Rohmer's Four Seasons series, is one of my favorite French movies of all time. So natural -- so beautiful -- set on the Atlantic coast of France and featuring the most engaging young characters. Yes, I know if you tweak it a little, you can come up with Three in the Attic, but it's really a far cry from that: Gaspard is no Paxton Quigley. A Summer's Tale is a glorious, life-affirming, totally engaging movie, with a kind of bittersweet ending -- like the end of a happy, youthful, summer vacation.

• Like 3

The 1996 Academy Award Best Foreign Language Film …

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNjeHOM-37500F8iF63CI

Kolya (1996) Jan Sverak, Czech Republic ****

Sondagsengler-1996.jpg

The Other Side of Sunday (1996) Berit Nesheim, Norway

bb83f4df01f9bf3297c7540c359e9e6d.jpg

A Chef In Love (1996) Nana Dzhordzhadze, Georgia

51BPRSXXTPL._SY445_.jpg

Prisoner of the Mountains (1996) Sergei Bodrov, Russia

Ridicule_Poster.jpg

Ridicule (1996) Patrice Leconte, France

The 1997 Academy Award Best Foreign Language Film included this nominee …

234.jpg

Beyond Silence (1996) Corinna Link, Germany

• Thanks 1

The 1996 BAFTA Foreign Film Award included ….

220px-Ridicule_poster.jpg

Ridicule (1996) Patrice Leconte, France ****

1_083f5acb-30a2-41fe-9a6f-1dadb780f075_s

Kolya (1996) Jan Sverak, Czech Republic

The 1997 BAFTA Foreign Film Award included ….

220px-L'appartement.jpg

L’Appartement (1996) Gilles Mimouni, France ****

Nominated for the 1997 Independent Spirit Best Foreign Film Award…

488e4c933f5bb9ef3efa87ab3389492e.jpg

Nenette and Boni (1996) Claire Denis, France

The British Independent Film Awards began in October 1998.  This was the winner of the Best Foreign Language Film Award …

e2734a15e8f55dba28df6fedfd56f01e.jpg

L’Appartement (1996) Gilles Mimouni, France

The winner of the 1996 Golden Globe for Best Foreign Language film was …

71tbwm-EuIL._SY445_.jpg

Kolya (1996) Jan Sverak, Czech Republic

The 1996 winner of France’s Cesar Best Picture Award …

original-film-title-ridicule-english-tit

Ridicule (1996) Patrice Leconte, France