Bogie56

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films Up to 2015

3,978 posts in this topic

The winner of the 2015 Moscow International Film Festival ….

MV5BMjA3OTAxNjQ5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTIz

Losers (2015) Ivaylo Hristov, Bulgaria

The 2016 winner of the Hungarian Film Week Best Picture Award was …

MV5BM2RmMDE5ZjItZjU2Yi00YjRkLThhY2UtZjg1

Liza the Fox-Fairy (2015) Karoly Uji Meszaros, Hungary

The winner of the 2015 Mar del Plata Film Festival Best International Picture was ….

cover_full.jpg

Embrace of the Serpent (2015) Crio Guerra, Columbia

The winner of the 2015 Mar del Plata Film Festival Best Argentine Picture was ….

ElMovimiento-poster.jpg

The Movement (2015) Benjamin Naishtat, Argentina

The winner of the 2015 Mar del Plata Film Festival Best Latin Picture was …

MV5BY2I1NzFjNGQtODY0ZS00NTU4LTllNGUtNGNi

Santa Teresa & Historias (2015) Nelson Carlo de Los Santos Arias, Mexico

The 2015 winner of the Cairo International Film Festival's Best Picture Award was …

MV5BNzE5MTk2NzM1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODYz

Mediterranea (2015) Jonas Carpigano, Italy

The Best Picture winner of the 2015 Golden Horse Film Festival was …

71pG0xCntbL._SY445_.jpg

The Assassin (2015) Hsiao-Hsien Hou, China

The winner of the 2015 Tokyo International Film Festival Best Picture Award was …

MV5BMTcwNDY1NjU1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTI0

Nise: The Heart of Madness (2015) Roberto Berliner, Brazil

The 2015 International Film Festival of India Best Picture winner was …

Abrazo-serpiente9.jpg

Embrace of the Serpent (2015) Crio Guerra, Columbia

**Announcement**

We will not be switching over to 2016 tomorrow, Saturday, September 7th but will begin a hiatus which we can use to review any FF films pre 2016 that we have seen since doing our postings.  

2016 will begin on Saturday, October 19th.

• Thanks 1

This is one that I have seen since posting about 1936 ...

crime_of_monsieur_lange_courtesy_film_fo

6.  The Crime of Monsieur Lange (1936) Jean Renoir, France

I caught this at the Cinematheque and enjoyed it though I didn’t think it was near to Renoir’s best.

[if I put a number in front of the film that is my ranking in the top ten for that year]

Edited by Bogie56
  • Like 3

Z27496551_8a9a129eafd7e4e52e87e74ab6a79fe

Stars of Eger (1968) - 4/10 - Hungarian film based off of the Siege of Eger castle by Ottoman forces. Terrible film with tons of plot holes (the "hero" sails to Constantinople to free his father kidnapped in a Turk prison and when he fails he just sails away and leaves him. what kind of hero is that?) and horrible fight scenes (as the Ottoman ladders are pushed over the side of the castle you can see the actors looking down for the mats to land on). I must admit, this one is kind of funny in how bad the acting and plot is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I have seen a lot since the last time we posted additional titles, so I'm going to spread them out over the next few weeks. I'll separate them by year, and post the titles in preferential order. Anything that I list in numeric order, I have given a 6/10 or higher rating. If I gave a movie an 8/10 or higher, I will make a note of it. Anything that I gave a 5/10 or lower, I'll list in the "I've also seen" section, listed from highest rated to lowest. I've only seen a few additional titles from the 30's and 40's.

From the 1930's

redes-1936.jpg

1. Redes, Emilio Gomez Muriel & Fred Zinnemann, Mexico
  2. Intermezzo, Gustaf Molander, Sweden

womansface1.jpg?w=525

1. A Woman's Face, Gustaf Molander, Sweden
  2. Dollar, Gustaf Molander, Sweden

81eORUzkRyL._SX425_.jpg

1. Only One Night, Gustaf Molander, Sweden

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

redes-1936.jpg

1. Redes, Emilio Gomez Muriel & Fred Zinnemann, Mexico
  2. Intermezzo, Gustaf Molander, Sweden

Are these your new first and second choices for the year of all that you have seen or just number one and two of the new ones?  I will have to try to track down Redes.

15 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Are these your new first and second choices for the year of all that you have seen or just number one and two of the new ones?  I will have to try to track down Redes.

Just among the new ones. 

Redes is interesting, a neo-realist movie before the Italians popularized the style. Plus it's a look at a world not often seen in film (poor Mexican Gulf-coast fishermen). I saw it on the Criterion Channel. It's part of the first set of films released under the World Cinema Project banner, which seeks to locate and restore neglected films from around the world. Criterion has released two box-sets of films so far, as well as a few as solo discs. 

• Thanks 1

220px-ProfumoDiDonna.jpg

Scent of a Woman (1974) - 7/10- Funny romantic comedy film starring Vittorio Gassman as the blind, womanizing pervert who secretly plans to off himself unknown to the young cadet assigned to take care of him and the secret love of his in Naples. I found this one enjoyable.

• Like 3

film-falbalas4.jpeg

5.  Falbalas (1945) Jacques Becker, France.

The world of haute couture which follows the work and love of an obsessive dress designer.  I posted a review of this in the I Just Watched  thread about August 18.

• Like 2

From the 1940's

Les-Visiteurs-du-Soir-.jpg

1. Les Visiteurs du Soir, Marcel Carne, France

d0xrYtlmbElA67RWPfVRTXS8bky.jpg

1. Quai des Orfevres, Henri-Georges Clouzot, France - 8/10

riso-amaro.jpg

1. Bitter Rice, Giuseppe De Santis, Italy - 8/10
  2. Le Silence de la Mer, Jean-Pierre Melville, France - 8/10
  3. Jour de Fete, Jacques Tati, France

• Like 3

200px-EwigerJudeFilm.jpg

The Eternal Jew (1940) - 2/10- I saw this one because it is referenced in almost every WWII doc on the history channel. It's exactly the kind of propaganda you would think of from the time but without the added bonus of Riefenstahl's cinematography, it is really hard for me to view this as "influential." One of the most disturbing things in it is the last ten minutes which are devoted to showing "Kosher killings" of cattle to drive home how inhumane Jewish culture is to animals.

• Thanks 2

4chMGtmU00srOE75wEvxuJNLR5b.jpg

Legong: Dance of the Virgins (1935) - 8/10 - I saw this one years ago and was thinking of listing it in my 1935 list but I was unsure of whether it was considered foreign language or not. It is silent and all the "actors" in it are native Balinese who perform in their local dialect but it was released in the US with English subtitles. Either way, I really enjoyed this one. The narrative is about a woman who loves a man who only has eyes for her sister which pushes her to suicidal envy. I liked the two strip technicolor and the rare glimpse of 1930s Bali and its people. This would be my favorite of '35 if you consider it as foreign.

• Like 2

Bismarck-1940-1.jpg

Bismarck (1940)- 6/10- In this film, the German minister Otto von Bismarck wishes to unite Germany and fight against her enemies, particularly Napoleon III. The film recreates his famous "Eisen und Blut" speech and depicts Bismarck and the King as foreign rulers from Vienna and France try to gain the upper hand over them in the game of politics. This is a costume drama about the inner workings of Bismarck's politics so don't expect a lot of battle scenes as this isn't a war film. This film is also mostly faithful to the life of the man and is relatively low on Nazi propaganda, save for honoring the military and the wars fought by Bismarck in the 19th century. Being low on overt propaganda makes this film more enjoyable than most of the other films from this time period I have seen. 

• Like 2

early-summer.jpg

1. Early Summer, Yasujiro Ozu, Japan - 8/10
  2. La Poison, Sacha Guitry, France
  3. Summer Interlude, Ingmar Bergman, Sweden

summer-8.jpg?w=720

• Like 2

Ohm-Kruger-1941-1.jpg

Uncle Kruger (1941) - 5/10- Paul Kruger leads the South African people against the British in the Boer wars. Includes some very ironic concentration camp scenes. Jannings gives a good performance in the leading role though.

ti114386.jpg

School for Postmen (1947) - Jacques Tati must deliver mail to a plane that is about to take off in this short comedy. It includes many of the precursors to the gags he would use in Jour de Fete. My favorite is the bell ringing joke in the church.

• Like 3

glsutapdejekss8ekv3s.jpg

1. The Life of Oharu, Kenji Mizoguchi, Japan - 8/10
  2. The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice, Yasujiro Ozu, Japan
  3. Casque d'Or, Jacques Becker, France
  4. Fanfan la Tulipe, Christian-Jaque, France
  5. Le Plaisir, Max Ophuls, France
  • Like 2

Lovers.png

5.  The Lovers (1958) Louis Malle, France

I finally caught up with this Jeanne Moreau classic and I’m glad that I saw it on the big screen in scope where its style and atmosphere work best.

• Like 2

AnnaChristie-german-01.jpg

Anna Christie (1930) - 7/10- German language version of the Garbo classic. The cast is made up of different actors (German Americans in this one) but the plot is largely the same. Garbo manages to look even prettier here. This one was on TCM relatively recently.

• Like 2