Bogie56

Your Favourite Foreign Language Films Up to 2015

4,053 posts in this topic

MV5BM2EwYWJmMTgtMjFjZC00NzQxLTg1NjctZmU3

Waiting Women (1952) - 4/10 - An early Ingmar Bergman comedy about several women who meet up occasionally to discuss their lives and husbands. Three tales of romantic love are shown here as the younger one secretly plans to run away and elope with her lover. Meh, this isn't the kind of movie for me but if you like these kind of "woman's movies" I think you will enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Waiting Women (1952) - 4/10 - An early Ingmar Bergman comedy about several women who meet up occasionally to discuss their lives and husbands. Three tales of romantic love are shown here as the younger one secretly plans to run away and elope with her lover. Meh, this isn't the kind of movie for me but if you like these kind of "woman's movies" I think you will enjoy it.

I'll probably get around to seeing this eventually, but yeah, after reading what it was about, I declined to watch it a couple of months ago. Bergman is one of my favorite filmmakers, but all of his films that I have not seen yet sound like things that I would not enjoy very much.

tumblr_n7c523OoD21qaysxqo1_500.jpg

1. White Mane, Albert Lamorisse, France - This story of a poor boy and his bond with a wild horse runs a scant 47 minutes long, so it could be considered a short, although IMDb does not. It's also widely available in an English-dubbed version, although I watched the French-language version.

movie-twenty-four-eyes-s3-mask9.jpg

1. Twenty-Four Eyes, Keisuke Kinoshita, Japan - Inspirational teacher tale set against the backdrop of rapidly-changing Japanese culture in the early twentieth century.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

tumblr_n7c523OoD21qaysxqo1_500.jpg

1. White Mane, Albert Lamorisse, France - This story of a poor boy and his bond with a wild horse runs a scant 47 minutes long, so it could be considered a short, although IMDb does not. It's also widely available in an English-dubbed version, although I watched the French-language version.

45 minutes and longer was the criteria to be considered a feature.  

MV5BMTg3MDM4MTU1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQ0

8.  Le Trou (1960) Jacques Becker, France

A prison break film that is quite similar in style to Bresson’s A Man Escaped (1956).  To place in the top ten in a year like 1960 is saying something.  Recommended.

• Like 3

Onna-no-sono-aka-The-Garden-of-Women-195

Garden of Women (1954) - 4/10 - Female students rise up against the mysoginistic treatment at their school. I often like films from Keisuke Kinoshita but this wasn't for me. Meh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ilbidone1.jpg

1. Il Bidone, Federico Fellini, Italy
  2. Death of a Cyclist, Juan Antonio Bardem, Spain
  3. Le Amiche, Michelangelo Antonioni, Italy
  4. French Cancan, Jean Renoir, France

I also saw:

La-Pointe-Courte-1956-1.jpg

• La Pointe Courte, Agnes Varda, France

• Like 4

The-Evil-Eye-still-620-02.jpg

Evil Eye (1963) Mario Bava, Italy

Very atmospheric but I’m not sure I followed it very well.  It features John Saxon who doesn't look much different here than he did in 1984’s A Nightmare on Elm Street.  Also starring the late Valentina Cortese.

bluebeards_cast_4.jpg

Bluebeard’s Castle (1963) Michael Powell, Germany

Interesting opera and it is only one hour long.

and I’ve also seen …

MV5BMzAyZmFlMDUtNTA4Yy00ZDc2LTkyODItNzkx

A King Without Distraction (1963) Francois Leterrier, France

I put this below The Living Head from Mexico.  Awful IMO.

• Like 3

I didn't keep a separate list for this, but here are some films I discovered recently:

High and Low (1962) by Akira Kurosawa is a thriller about a kidnapping, but at the same time it's a portrayal of different layers of Japanese society. The title has a double meaning: the house of businessman Gondo lies literally on a hill, but it also refers to higher and lower classes. During the search for the driver's kid we see laborers, a garbage man, junkies and young peopple at a rock 'n' roll party. The bald policeman looks like a Japanese Kojak.

11-23-high-and-low.jpg

The Women on the 6th Floor (2011) by Philippe Le Guay is also about class, but this time the poorer people live higher. After a quarrel with his wife a Parisian businessman in the 1960s (Fabrice Luchini) finds out he feel better in a small room on the sixth floor among the Spanish working women. Something starts to blossom between him and the young Spanish maid Maria (Natalia Verbeke). 

89895567_o.jpg

• Like 5

hqdefault.jpg

Tank Brigade (1955) - 8/10- During WWII, Czech tankists fight to reclaim their land from the German occupiers. Meanwhile, behind allied lines another war is going on between those who would like to see Czechoslovakia become a Soviet-style republic and those who wish it to return to the capitalist liberal democratic government of the 1930s. Very good war film with well shot battle scenes of the Battle of Dukla Pass. Recommended.

patriotism.jpg

Patriotism (1966) - 6/10-  This film from Yukio Mishima is based on real events that happened in 1936. Lieutenant Shinji Takeyama is ordered to execute his friends after a failed uprising and can not choose between obeying the Emperor's orders and his friend's camaraderie. He chooses to commit ritual suicide with his wife in line with his traditionalist views. This film has some very nice cinematography.

• Like 2

redballoon613x463.jpg

1. The Red Balloon, Albert Lamorisse, France - (short) 9/10 - I know we're focusing features with this thread, but I was really impressed by this short film.
  2. Early Spring, Yasujiro Ozu, Japan

hqdefault.jpg

I also saw:

• The Aztec Mummy, Rafael Portillo, Mexico - This is the original Spanish-language version, and not one of the later English-dubbed movies that used footage from this. It's better than those, but not by much.

I haven't seen any additional foreign language films from 1958 or 1959.

• Like 5

MADAME_O-1.jpg

Madame O (1967) Seiichi Fukuda, Japan [dubbed version]

A doctor who was raped as a young woman targets men for revenge by giving them a deadly virus.  Not as good as it could have been.

• Like 2

LETTER_NEVER_SENT-14.jpg

1. Letter Never Sent, Mikhail Kalatozov, USSR - 8/10 - Outstanding B&W cinematography highlights this man-vs-nature survival tale with a quartet of people who become lost in the vast Siberian wilderness.
  2. The Hands of Orlac, Edmond T. Greville, France/UK - Two versions of this oft-filmed horror tale were shot - one in English and one in French. I watched the French version. I liked Mad Love and the silent version more.

MV5BZWEyOWYwYWEtOWZhOS00YmRhLWJiYmItNDcw

• Like 2

image-w1280.jpg?1465914088

Shinsengumi: Assassins of Honor (1969) Tadashi Sawashima, Japan

Toshiro Mifune produced and starred in this period Samurai film that is based on a true story.  It delves heavily into the various factions and politics of late feudal Japan.  It’s probably worth another viewing as the initial set up which is crucial to understanding who is who goes by far too quickly.  The supporting cast is good featuring a couple of my favourites: Rentaro Mikuni and Katsuo Nakamura, the latter of which won a Mainichi Supporting Actor Award.

V4IDNYy.png

Crime Thief (1969) Nadine Trintignant, France.

This falls into the ‘also seen’ category.  Trying too hard to be hip and Godardian and has no characters one has any possible interest in.

• Like 2

Battle+of+the+Japan+Sea02.jpg

Battle of the Japan Sea (1969) - 7/10 - Toshiro Mifune leads the Japanese navy against Russia during the Japanese-Russian War. An okay war film with effects by Eiji Tsuburaya of Godzilla fame.

MV5BNzU2ZTFjZGMtYzE3Yy00YzQxLTgzM2YtYWRl

Many Wars Ago (1970)- 9/10- Gian Maria Volonte as an anti-war activist in the army who butts heads with Alain Cuny's proto-Fascist general who is hellbent on taking the Austrian hill during the height of WWI.This film is great and has shades of Paths of Glory with its anti-war message and pivotal scene that I won't spoil. Also included is a scene involving WWI era body armor- something that I don't think I have seen in any WWI or WWII film before. Highly recommended.

MV5BM2Q4MjI3NjktOTViMC00ZGFjLTk3MzYtNDFk

The Cremator (1969) - 9/10 - In 1939 Sudetenland, Kopfrkingl is an ethnic German cremator obsessed with Buddhist philosophy and reincarnation who plans to murder his Jewish wife and kids so they may reincarnate as "pure Germans" like him. I thought this was a very funny horror-comedy film.  

• Like 2

MV5BZTMzMzYwN2EtMDViMy00ODcxLWIwYTMtZDQw

1. Il Posto, Ermanno Olmi, Italy - 8/10
  2. The End of Summer, Yasujiro Ozu, Japan
  3. Pigs and Battleships, Shohei Imamura, Japan
  4. Dead Eyes of London, Alfred Vohrer, West Germany
  5. Rupture, Pierre Etaix & Jean-Claude Carriere, France (short)

7975_1.jpg

I've also seen:

OB-OQ696_MASTER_G_20110708190141.jpg

• Last Year at Marienbad, Alain Resnais, France
  • Paris Belongs to Us, Jacques Rivette, France
  • Nerfertiti, Queen of the Nile, Fernando Cerchio, Italy
  • The Giant of Metropolis, Umberto Scarpelli, Italy

Giant-of-Metropolis-2.jpg

• Like 3

feat-hatchethoneymoon.jpg?w=860&h=280&cr

Hatchet For the Honeymoon (1970) Mario Bava, Italy [dubbed]

Not my cup of tea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

v1.bjs1NDg4ODM7ajsxODE4NjsxMjAwOzE5MjA7M

Mysterious Object at Noon (2000) Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Thailand - 3/10-  a cameraman visits local people around the country and they tell a story of  woman who runs away with her lover and some stolen children that gets reenacted by a group of performers. Each new local they meet adds on to the story. The cinematography is nice but this one really drags on. Avoid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MV5BYTU1YTBjOWUtZDdhYi00ZjEwLWFjNzItMGMz

The 317th Platoon (1965) Pierre Schoendoerffer, France - 7/10 - In 1954 Vietnam, the war between the Cambodians and the French has just started. A young officer and a former German collaborator who was in the Wehrmacht lead the platoon to get their wounded men behind allied lines while the enemy is right on their tail. This is a violent and harrowing war film like no other and it predates Apocalypse Now by over a decade. Recommended. 

• Like 4

MV5BMGNlNmY4OGUtMjYyNy00NmMwLWEyMjctOTQ2

Under the Blossoming Cherry Trees (1975) Masahiro Shinoda, Japan

Another wild Japanese film.  Tomisaburo Wakayama of Lone Wolf & Cub fame plays a mountain bandit who gets more than he bargained for when he kidnaps a beautiful woman.  She is much more psycho than he is.

• Like 3

ilsorpasso_1.jpg

1. Il Sorpasso, Dino Risi, Italy - 8/10
  2. The Outrageous Baron Munchausen, Karel Zeman, Czechoslovakia
  3. The Condemned of Altona, Vittorio De Sica, Italy
  4. Happy Anniversary, Pierre Etaix & Jean-Claude Carriere, France (short)
  5. Antoine & Colette, Francois Truffaut, France (short)
  6. I Hate But Love, Koreyoshi Kurahara, Japan

i_hate_but_love__1962_1771.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/13/2019 at 12:13 AM, LawrenceA said:

ilbidone1.jpg

1. Il Bidone, Federico Fellini, Italy
  2. Death of a Cyclist, Juan Antonio Bardem, Spain
  3. Le Amiche, Michelangelo Antonioni, Italy
  4. French Cancan, Jean Renoir, France

I also saw:

La-Pointe-Courte-1956-1.jpg

• La Pointe Courte, Agnes Varda, France

Il Bidone should get the Criterion treatment.  I saw it over the summer and found it quite moving.

current_653_025_medium.jpg

1. The Organizer, Mario Monicelli, Italy - 8/10
  2. I Fidanzati, Ermmano Olmi, Italy
  3. Magnet of Doom, Jean-Pierre Melville, France
  4. The Empty Canvas, Damiano Damiani, Italy
  5. Suzanne's Career, Eric Rohmer, France

suzanne-2.jpg

I've also seen:

muriel1.jpg

• Muriel, or the Time of Return, Alain Resnais, France
  • Dry Summer, Metin Erksan, Turkey
  • Katarsis, Giuseppe Vegezzi, Italy

MV5BMjZjYzU1ZDUtZjA0MS00ZDJmLWE0MmYtZjA1

• Like 2

MV5BMjQ4ZmEyMzMtMWZmMi00OGM2LWJmYTEtZWQz

Africa: Blood and Guts (1966)  Gualtiero Jacopetti, Franco Prosperi, Italy -4/10 mondo style documentary of Africa in the tumultuous post-colonial era of the 1960s which includes footage of the Mau Maus and of the Zanzibar Uprising where thousands of indians and arabs were slaughtered. Also included is footage of game hunting and sensationalist depictions of African life. This one is interesting in the way most Mondo Cane movies are and is worth a watch at least, despite not being the best quality documentary on this subject.

• Like 3