Sign in to follow this  
jimmymac71

Watch TCM Apps not compatible with 2017 Tablet 10 or TV Stick

10 posts in this topic

I recently acquired a new 2017 Fire Tablet 10 inch and Fire TV Stick. The Watch TCM App is not compatible with either product. So why show the Apps as available if they don't work?

TCM app on firestick works fine for movies on demand..just can't see live broadcast.  You can put the silk browser on your fire stick and go the web site and watch, I guess, just as you can go to  the site on a windows pc. and see live and on demand.  Of course, any way you have to 'get' tcm from a source (cable, sat) and sign in to verify that.  There are ways to put google play store on a fire tablet to acquire the app's (it's OS system is based on android) but I don't personally know which run well.

edit: I was curious about using silk browser to watch, so I tried it..just type in tcm, go to watch tcm..there's the page..sign in and go.  But again, the app for fire tv is great for on demand.

Well, I did get the TCM app for my Fire Stick by using the search menu with the Fire Stick. The Amazon website claims the TCM app is not compatible with my tablet or stick. The TCM app for my Fire Stick is quite limited. Picture quality is VHS-like. My Fire Stick is within spitting distance from the WiFi and I have Xfinity. I can get the Google Play Store but it consistently causes issues between Google Apps and Fire Apps, rendering some useless. I tried using the Silk browser on my tablet, and got what was expected. Adobe Flash Player is needed for Watch TCM. Silk and most browsers for mobile devices do not have access to Flash. So I could not watch. I am growing tired of TCM and may consider watching TV shows, the old ones, with HULU or something similar. 

2 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

Well, I did get the TCM app for my Fire Stick by using the search menu with the Fire Stick. The Amazon website claims the TCM app is not compatible with my tablet or stick. The TCM app for my Fire Stick is quite limited. Picture quality is VHS-like. My Fire Stick is within spitting distance from the WiFi and I have Xfinity. I can get the Google Play Store but it consistently causes issues between Google Apps and Fire Apps, rendering some useless. I tried using the Silk browser on my tablet, and got what was expected. Adobe Flash Player is needed for Watch TCM. Silk and most browsers for mobile devices do not have access to Flash. So I could not watch. I am growing tired of TCM and may consider watching TV shows, the old ones, with HULU or something similar. 

Sorry..my fire stick is over a year old..maybe it's changed.  I got it specifically because you can side-load apk's (can't do it on roku)..if you really want a great apk, try terrarium (though the developer is taking time off, and it's not what it was a month ago) still, lots of content and decent searches for older content.  Plenty of YouTube videos on it.. site doc squiffy has  safe, easy, downloads for firestick.  Well, I like it (watching 'Battle of the Sexes' film now..)

I went with the low cost of the Amazon products as Samsung or Apple would cost so much more. I am displeased with both the tablet and TV stick. Next time around I will get a Chromebook or Chromebox. I don't understand any of this either. TCM clearly advertises apps for the Fire Kindle and Fire TV. I wanted to get the West/East option for live TCM. That is not available with the TV app. I feel TCM is misleading us regarding the apps. The Google version of the TCM app didn't stream without terrible hiccups on my tablet. Again, there are conflicts I don't have the knowledge to deal with. TCM is saying there are apps for Amazon, but it isn't completely true. Another reason to be disappointed with TCM. I have a Roku as well, but no TCM app at all. I pay for TCM with my Xfinity, but can't use everything available to others.

well, it's a bother...but do you have a phone that runs android?  if so, you can 'cast' from the phone to your Roku stick quite easily to watch on a big screen. ..and if you use a pc, you can go to the website and watch (yeah, you need adobe flash, but you probably already have it...almost everyone does..might need to update it.)  TCM has recently made some bizarre changes (including the format of these boards..)..I recently got a message that a certain film 'would not stream on this device' on my Samsung tablet (android) first time ever, today I'm getting just buffering on their app...have no idea what's going on there.  

News Flash: The Watch TCM page no longer lists the Amazon Tablet app.

Additional Update: Windows 10. Up to date versions of Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Microsoft Edge. Flash current too. Use Ethernet connection, once again with Xfinity/Comcast Internet. Constant buffering and I do mean constant. Can watch YouTube with zero issues. 

My PC is an all in one, but it does have HDMI in and out. It is a bother to hook up to the television. Don't have a smart phone. I have eyesight issues and my 10 inch tablet with text maxed out is the best I can get away with. For a brief time, I had an iPad mini, but couldn't keep it for the same eyesight reasons. The Watch TCM app worked flawlessly, even though the device was used and had the same processor as the iPad 2. My next PC will have an independent screen and will hook easier to the TV, when desired. Thanks (shutoo) for all your input. Jimmymac71 has nothing to do with age, but a 2007 iMac, model 7,1. Still works and with some adapters, might hook up to my TV. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Sorry I couldn't help with the fire tablets..I will give you a code to use on Roku to get my favorite app there..it's for Classic Reel, usually costs, but to get it free, put in 4965 in your add channel account...it will give you a pop up about it being a private channel..don't worry..I've had it for two years, and it's the only reason I keep my Roku stick..thousands of classic films, no ads, nice streams.  :)

I haven't decided if I should keep the Roku and find the Amazon stick a new home, or the other way around. I have the 2016 Roku stick without the remote. Not sure why TCM cannot have someone make a Roku app. No skin off their nose. We still need a TCM account with another provider for the Watch TCM app. Turner Classic Movies is my escape from this 21st Century. I can do the same thing with classic television. Thanks for your offer for Classic Reel. Happy New Year!