clarklk

Minneapolis/St. Paul local chapter

141 posts in this topic

Treasure of the Sierra Madre is playing on Wednesday?  I thought it was Tuesday.

- Clark

I am going to the 7pm showing in Eagan at the Regal. I will try my best while there, to get us 1 or more members. Not a lot of people have an extra $80 to sling around for BackLot. I had to wait 2 years, and ask for this membership as a gift from my children. I had been a NowShowing member for years and was devastated when it canceled.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !

&HBtm  <:)

Thanks for the heads up!  I'd have been upset with myself to go on the wrong day!  It looks like subsequent months are Sundays then Wednesday as they have been in the past.  I wonder why this month is different?

Yes, what is up with the Now Playing Guide?  I've signed up several times and am never able to receive it. It never ends up in my spam filter, it seems to get filtered out prior to that.  Anyone receive it successfully and have tips to getting it?  I miss it too!  

I'm heading to the 2:00 showing at Rosedale now.  I'll try to find others with Backlot also.

• Like 1

It is 9:44. Just got back from the Regal in Eagan. I have the best son! The young man not only bought my ticket but my popcorn and soda too. (my early birthday present HBtm  <:)   )

Well for us here in MN waiting for that 5th person may take a little longer. 

There were about 18 movie goers, and as I said I would, I stood up after the lights came back, and ask if there were any BackLot members. They all said no. As quick as I could I told them all about TCM BackLot and the fith person that we need for a forum. It blew me away that about 6 people said they never knew of TCM's BackLot. 

NEXT MONTH .... The Phillidelphia Story .... I'll be happy to stand up and ask again

• Like 1

Thanks for doing that TCMary96.  I went to the Treasure of the Sierra Madre yesterday afternoon, at Rosedale.  There were only four other people in the audience.  I asked those four people if any of them were TCM Backlot members? anyone interested in joining TCM Backlot?  None of them showed much interest.  So it might take a little longer to get our fifth person, like you say.  But I still have no doubt that fifth person is out there somewhere. 

After Clark kindly pointed out the movie wasn't playing on Wednesday I scrambled and made it to the 2:00 showing at Southdale yesterday.  I got there after the lights were down - there were probably 8-12 in attendance. Afterwards I spoke to a few people.  I couldn't gauge the reaction but they may have thought I was eccentric, hard to tell!  I'll try again next month!

• Like 2

Eccentric hahahah;... thats funny! Though my son said that i ask tactfully. I now wonder what the people thought about me. "ehhehm Mr. De Mille ,... I'm ready for my close up...!"

I think if we keep at it this way we will get another member. 

Four people are following this group chat. All we need is one more TCM Backlot member in the Twin Cities and we can become an official local chapter of TCM Backlot.  Surely there must be at least one more out there in the Twin Cities!:rolleyes:  Minneapolis/St. Paul is a great town for the arts.  I know there's lots of classic film fans here.  I'm going to the Trylon Cinema this afternoon to see "La Dolce Vita".  I'm looking forward to seeing it, as I never have before.

• Like 1

Enjoy the film clarklk! When I went to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, I stood at the end and told folks what we needed. I will keep trying each month until we get at least one. When I got my gift membership, TCM did not notify me. When I found out I had a membership waiting, I was totally confused how to navigate the site. I practically stumbled upon the 3 of you members, and was elated to find there was a board with film friends. I watch TCM everyday and have since 1996 when I stumbled upon it :)

• Like 1

Hello Twin Cities Backlot people! I hope everyone is doing fine.  When is February's TCM big screen showing?  I can't remember what movie it was going to be.  "Philadelphia Story", I seem to remember.  I hope that's correct.  I would love to see that classic on the movie theatre big screen.

• Like 1

I love the Philadelphia Story!  It's showing 2/18 and 2/21.  I may go twice! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that information MpLNls.  I may go twice also!

Someone on Facebook replied to my note about our local chapter.  She said she was in Minneapolis, a Backlot member, and said she was interested in our local chapter.  Hopefully she will be our number 5.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:43 PM, jaragon said:

You should see "8 1/2" if you are in a more adventurous mood try " Satyricon"

First we need to vote to get a Chapter president.

This is what the instructions say:

To kick off our second year of TCM Backlot, we are launching a fun new way for Classic Movie fans to connect and get together: local Backlot Chapters!  Local Chapters get unique benefits including:
-Free tickets each month to screenings of TCM Big Screen Classics (starting in June)
-One Chapter per month will be featured on the TCM Backlot site
-Local Chapters have the opportunity to win a viewing party for its members, courtesy of TCM
-If there are TCM events in your area, the Local Chapter(s) will receive advance notice and opportunities to participate
-Prizes and recognition for the largest and most active Chapters
-And more!  We will be adding benefits as this program grows

This is going to be fun!  Chapters must have a minimum of five Backlot members.  You can recruit Chapter Members on your own, or you can use our Local Chapters Forum on the TCM Message Boards to find Members nearby.  (Or feel free to find people on this Facebook thread!)  After enough Chapters are established, a list of Chapters will be published for new members to find and join.
Here's what we need from you:
-The name and location of your Chapter
-The members of your Chapter (include email addresses)
-A volunteer to be the President of your Chapter
-Your nearest movie theater; please make it a theater that regularly shows TCM Big Screen Classics (only one Chapter per movie theater... if two or more chapters claim the same theater, they may be combined or asked to find an alternate theater)

And that's it!  We will be in touch during the month of May to help organize the Chapters.  Thanks for being a part of Backlot as we launch this cool new part of the club!

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:43 PM, jaragon said:

You should see "8 1/2" if you are in a more adventurous mood try " Satyricon"

We have TCM Big Screen Classics coming up this Sunday and next Wednesday!  This will be exciting.  It will be "Philadelphia Story".  I think I'll see it both days.  Is anyone else from our local chapter planning to go?