clarklk

Minneapolis/St. Paul local chapter

146 posts in this topic

Tomorrow at 3pm CDT, the Trylon Cinema is showing "Only Angels Have Wings", with Cary Grant and Jean Arthur.   It has a 7.7 rating on imdb.  That is a very good rating!  I've never seen the picture, but I would certainly like to.

• Like 2

It's one of my favorites!  I was already planning on going to the 3:00 movie tomorrow (it's also showing 9:30 tonight [Saturday] and Sunday 5:15.  Hope to see Clark and others there!

Have a great time! Please let us, that can only be there in spirit, know how it goes. 

I have a question? Does anyone else in our chapter belong to the imDb? 

This is the International Movie Database. After you sign up it is very easy to use. This is where I go to rate ALL the movies I watch. There maybe a movie or TV show you like that gets a bumm rating (1-6) or too good of a rating (7-10) or vise verse. Well here is your chance to MAKE A DIFFERENCE! It is not just the movies on TCM but ALL new and old TV & Movies across all divides around the world. It has ALL the info about what you inquire and all the info about the actors and actress and trivia about most, that otherwise we would never know 

My son and I will see you all July 15, for BIG

• Like 1

I went to see "Only Angels..." on Friday night -- a great way to beat the heat. And it was even better on the big screen. While Rita Hayworth is only on the screen for three scenes and a few minutes, she was showcased and you can tell this was a breakout role for her. What a cast, too! Thomas Mitchell was incredible in this film, as is Jean Arthur. And Noah Beery Jr (Rocky from the Rockford Files!) has a nice bit in the first few minutes of the film. What do you all think?

On 6/30/2018 at 10:07 PM, TCMary96 said:

Have a great time! Please let us, that can only be there in spirit, know how it goes. 

I have a question? Does anyone else in our chapter belong to the imDb? 

This is the International Movie Database. After you sign up it is very easy to use. This is where I go to rate ALL the movies I watch. There maybe a movie or TV show you like that gets a bumm rating (1-6) or too good of a rating (7-10) or vise verse. Well here is your chance to MAKE A DIFFERENCE! It is not just the movies on TCM but ALL new and old TV & Movies across all divides around the world. It has ALL the info about what you inquire and all the info about the actors and actress and trivia about most, that otherwise we would never know 

My son and I will see you all July 15, for BIG

I've been using IMDb for 13 years and like it. I still rate movies there but my movie-tracking passion for the past few years has been for Letterboxd. It is movie-oriented so no TV show clutter, and the users tend to be passionate about film, so you often have excellent interactions with other movie fans there.

The links above are to my profile on both services.

Lets movie!

We are up to 19 members! 

We all have a chance to beat the heat this Sunday (7/15) with the TCM showing of Big.  Show time, as always, is 2:00 at Willow Creek Theater (just west of 169 at Shelard Parkway/Betty Crocker Blvd). We'll start gathering ~1:00 in the lobby for conversation before the movie. Maybe we should brainstorm about the Backlot 50 Fans in 50 States contest!  

If you're a chapter member or thinking about it, come and join our conversation!

Hey everyone!

am out of town until the 17th. My suggestions for TCM are Judy Garland born in grand rand prince made purple rain of course!!  Thanks Ellen!!  Jessica 

A couple of us are going to the Trylon tonight to see Beggars of Life.  Join us if you like!  7:00 tonight, it's showing tomorrow and Sunday too.  We'll review it on request! :). I'm really looking forward to it.

Also, the Backlot contest 50 fans in 50 states is open through 7/31.  https://www.tcmbacklot.com/50-fans  (I hope this link works!) It's a simple form to fill out on the backlot site.  If the link doesn't work, you may have to search for it.  I can't wait to see the Minnesota winner!

Is anyone checking out the 4k restoration of Lawrence of Arabia at the new Alamo Drafthouse theater in Woodbury tomorrow?  I'm excited for the film and excited to check out a new venue.

Edit:  I saw this today. The theater was very comfortable with good service and decent food.  The 70mm print was beautiful.  I don't know that I would go all the way to Woodbury from Minneapolis for my regular moviegoing, but I would definitely recommend it for special events and screenings of classic films.

Rats, I didn't see this post in time.  I bet Lawrence of Arabia was great on the big screen!  

I hadn't heard of the Alamo Drafthouse until I read this, but took a quick look at the site.  It was a little clunky to navigate to see their special screenings (and some aren't showing in Woodbury).  Are there classic movies coming there you're excited to see?  A couple of us from the backlot chapter are talking about going to the Heights on 8/16 to see the Gold Diggers of 1935.  Join us if you'd like!

**Early reminder that 8/26 is the TCM big screen show of South Pacific**

• Like 1

If you're on Facebook, you can follow the Alamo Drafthouse Twin Cities.  They regularly post upcoming special screenings.  Nothing quite as classic as Lawrence of Arabia at this point, but they definitely convey a joy and excitement about film generally. I think it's a great addition to existing places like the Trylon and the Heights.

I can't make the Gold Diggers show, but might make South Pacific.  Which theater?

Edit: I take it back.  Looking at the calendar, they have a few classic screenings coming up - mostly on Saturday afternoons.  Apocalypse Now, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and West Side Story are all on deck, among other. I swear I don't work for that company, but I am so excited about this development.  Classic films on big screens.  With beer.

• Haha 1

The Twin Cities backlot chapter (TCMisfits) goes to the Emagine Willow Creek theater for the 2:00 Sunday show of the Big Screen Classic.  It's just west of 169 at Shelard Parkway/Betty Crocker Drive.  We usually meet 45 min - an hour before the movie.  They have a nice seating area (and maybe a full bar?) there.

• Like 1

Is anyone interested in a Busby Berkeley musical this week?  A few of us from the Backlot will be at the Heights theater on Thursday 8/16 for the Gold Diggers of 1935.  http://www.heightstheater.com/ The Heights is at 3951 Central Ave NE, Columbia Heights.  Movie starts at 7:30, but we'll get together around 7:00, maybe earlier? This is a 35mm print of the movie, so if you have a discerning eye, it should be a treat!  I'll be wearing a TCM shirt of some sort.  Look for me if you want to talk movies!  Ellen

update: I forgot to send a reminder of this.  It was a pretty full theater, and the organ started at 7:00. Sorry if I missed connecting with anyone!

It'll be hot this weekend so skip the fair!  Sunday (8/26) is our next Big Screen Event - South Pacific.  Our chapter show time and place, as always, is 2:00 at Willow Creek Theater (just west of 169 at Shelard Parkway/Betty Crocker Blvd). We'll start gathering ~1:00 in the lobby for conversation before the movie. 

Join us if you're a backlot chapter member - even if you're not, you can stop by and check us out! ?

Any a huge Music Man fans ready for a road trip?  The Des Moines chapter (Cinematheque) is touring The Music Man Square in Mason City IA on September 8.  Is anyone interested in going?  If so, you can let me know tcmisfitsbacklot@gmail.com    

Update: Music Man Square was a fun day trip.  Mason City built a wonderful tribute to a favorite son.  The house is beautifully restored to early 1900s glory.  Louie of the Des Moines chapter posted great pictures on the Cinemathequedesmoines facebook page.  www.facebook.com/Cinemathequedesmoines  Look for Music Man Square in the photos tab.

It's another two TCM Big Screen Event month!  Reminder that the TCMisfitsBacklot chapter meets this weekend for Rebel Without a Cause on 9/23.  Same place (Emagine Willow Creek Theater - just west of 169 at Shelard Parkway), same time ~ 1:00 for chatting (and popcorn?) in the lobby behind the ticket counter, with movie at 2:00. Post here or contact me at tcmisfitsbacklot@gmail.com if you have questions.  Hope to see you Sunday!

Next up is Mr Smith Goes to Washington on 10/14.  I'm out of town so will miss the show.  Standard time and place is Emagine Willow Creek Theater - just west of 169 at Shelard Parkway.  Movie at 2:00, conversation prior to the movie.  

Sorry to miss this movie!

(If you're a chapter member you should have gotten emails from me this week (tcmmisfitsbacklot@gmail.com).  If you haven't check your spam filter.)

I'm a big fraidycat and not into horror, but both the Trylon https://www.trylon.org/ and the Heights  http://www.heightstheater.com/ have scary movies in theater for October.  The Heights is showing Rosemary's Baby tomorrow night (10/22) in case you're interested.  I'd love to see it, but I'm waayyy to scared to see it after dark!

In November the Trylon's featuring Robert Bresson - showingg Au Hasard Balthazar 11/4-6 and A Man Escaped 11/11-13.  Au Hasard Balthazar was one of Roger Ebert's Movie Greats, here's a link https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-au-hasard-balthazar-1966  TCM showed A Man Escaped a few years ago - I saw it then and highly recommend it.  The next TCM Big Screen event is Die Hard on 11/11. 

We can debate its status as a Christmas movie!

Hello All - I bit the bullet and signed up for Backlot! Happy to see we have a budding group of fans in the Twin Cities. I also renewed my membership at Willow Creek for any events there. I've been watching TCM since it's inception and when Robert Osborne passed I felt like I lost a dear uncle. Wherever I find myself living - I ALWAYS have TCM! I look forward to discussing classic film with you all and meeting you all some day. ?  ?

Our next movie is this Sunday 11/11.  We'll be seeing Die Hard at the Southdale AMC16 at Southdale Center (not our usual theater).  We'll meet at the Caribou Coffee at Southdale near the Apple store at 1:00. 

Next month for White Christmas on 12/9 we'll be back to our typical theater - Emagine Willow Creek. 

Hope you can join us!

This Sunday (12/9) is White Christmas at Emagine Willow Creek! The movie is at 2:00, we'll meet around 1:00 in the lobby behind the ticket counter. 

The slate of 2019 Big Screen Classics has been announced! Here's the rundown of chapter screenings:
  • 1/27 The Wizard of Oz
  • 2/17 My Fair Lady
  • 3/24 To Kill A Mockingbird
  • 4/14 Ben-Hur
  • 5/5 True Grit
  • 5/19 Steel Magnolias
  • 6/16 Field of Dreams
  • 7/21 Glory
  • 8/11 Hello, Dolly!
  • 9/1 Lawrence of Arabia
  • 9/22 Shawshank Redemption
  • 10/13 Alien
  • 12/1 When Harry Met Sally
The Heights is showing Meet John Doe in theater on Sunday 12/16 at 7:30 and Holiday in on New Years Day at 1:00 (sold out!) and 4:00. Anyone interested in seeing either in theater? Fortunately both movies are on TCM this month a couple of times, but it's always fun to see them in theater. 

Hope to see you Sunday!  

Ellen