Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Call Me by Your Name

118 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, CountVictorGrazinsky said:

My best friend and I finally got to see it yesterday at the neighborhood AMC, which was having special pre-Academy Award screenings of some of the Best Picture nominees.   It is such a beautiful and haunting film.  We had dinner at a local Italian restaurant after the film and couldn’t stop talking about it and we both can’t wait to see it again. 

I’m a fan of Merchant-Ivory films and agree with the comments comparing it to “A Room with a View” and “Maurice”.  Yes, the film is leisurely paced, and I’ve heard complaints that it’s too slow, but it never felt slow or overlong to me.  In fact, when the goodbye scene occurred at the train station, I was thinking, no way can it be this close to the end yet, it didn’t feel like the movie clocked in at 132 minutes.

It deserves all of the accolades it is receiving, including Timothee Chalamet’s Oscar nomination for his magnificent performance.  I certainly hope James Ivory wins the Oscar for his screenplay. 

My buddy and I also agree that Armie Hammer should have received an Oscar nomination for his terrific performance.  And we both definitely want to see more of Armie now and catch up on his other movies!

12c27514d735adb644abd1fd78ecac66.jpg

DSO2wp-W4AEUuiJ.jpg

What is up with that first picture - Timothee has his leggins around his ankles?!

Armie Hammer played J. Edgar Hoover's lover, Clyde Tolson, in "J. Edgar".

I am so glad that you finally saw the film and that you will be seeing it again.

I agree, one viewing isn't enough.

leonardo-dicaprio-j-edgar-premiere-10.jp

tumblr_m4ngrbT67q1qcp29wo1_250.gif

• Like 1

James Ivory won the best adapted screenplay Oscar! Yes! I almost started an argument with a friend who did not like the film because of the underage protagonist but I knew it was a wasted of time. This movie might not be for everyone but it is a film that I'm glad was made

• Like 4

Loved James Ivory getting the Best Screenplay Oscar and his gracious speech.  I figured this was the best chance for the movie to get an Oscar. Many times the screenplay Oscars go to independent movies that aren't going to get the other awards and they're my favorite part of the Oscars.  I was also thrilled about GET OUT getting the other writing award as well.

• Like 3

James Ivory (for Call Me By Your Name) and Roger Deakins' (for Blade Runner 2049) wins were the highlights of the show for me. After hearing the songs, I thought "Mystery of Love" should have won.

• Like 4

Yes, "Mystery of Love" is a lovely song and should have won the Oscar.

Its' presentation was shortened, too.

It is much more effective in its' full-length version.

But the Oscars prefer loud, raucous music.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

James Ivory (for Call Me By Your Name) and Roger Deakins' (for Blade Runner 2049) wins were the highlights of the show for me. After hearing the songs, I thought "Mystery of Love" should have won.

Agreed. Maybe people will search out Blade Runner 2049 now, after the theatrical release failed to live up to expectations. I'm looking forward to seeing it again myself.

"Mystery of Love" was so perfectly matched to the mood of the film; it definitely wasn't a case of what-can-we-stick-in-there-to-help-sell-the-movie?

• Like 2

I was able to finally see CMBYN yesterday. Does anyone know if Elio keeping Oliver's shirt was a direct nod to Brokeback Mountain at all, or just a happy coincidence.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, spauldingd said:

I was able to finally see CMBYN yesterday. Does anyone know if Elio keeping Oliver's shirt was a direct nod to Brokeback Mountain at all, or just a happy coincidence.

I think that Elio keeping/wearing Oliver's shirt was a direct reference by the director to "Brokeback Mountain".

The director is very knowledgable about cinematic history.

He used, as Elio's girlfriend, the sister of Louis Garrel, who was involved in a threesome in Bernardo Bertolucci's "The Dreamers".

img-louis-garrel_133054864676-1000x684.j

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rayban said:

I think that Elio keeping/wearing Oliver's shirt was a direct reference by the director to "Brokeback Mountain".

He used, as Elio's girlfriend, the sister of Louis Garrel, who was involved in a threesome in Bernardo Bertolucci's "The Dreamers".

img-louis-garrel_133054864676-1000x684.j

A very sexy movie

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jaragon said:

James Ivory a very wise man...

I loved his shirt - obviously a picture of Elio.

• Like 1

Going back to my friend- who is a actor/playwright and should know better and his suggestions that "CBYN" is some sort of advertising for pedophilia?!- I think some people have a real problem with gay sex on screen- which is such a rare sight in mainstream cinema. And let's face "CBYN" is a not just a great love story but a celebration of gay sex- these two can't get enough of each other. During the Oscar's I was surprise when they included a kissing scene from the film

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rayban said:

Yes, "Mystery of Love" is a lovely song and should have won the Oscar.

Its' presentation was shortened, too.

It is much more effective in its' full-length version.

But the Oscars prefer loud, raucous music.

"Mystery of Love" really needs to visuals from the film to work- at least they did not turn into some sort of ballet production number like that horrible political correct thing they staged for the song from  " The Greatest Showman" 

• Like 2

‘Call Me By Your Name’ Director Reveals Details On Film’s Sequel

Luca Guadagnino promised “a new movie, a different tone” and another locale.

Director Luca Guadagnino said he is “already conceiving” a sequel to 2017′s queer romantic drama “Call Me by Your Name.”

The Academy Award-nominated director shared some vague, but exciting, details about a sequel on the Oscars red carpet Sunday night. He told USA Today that he and author André Aciman, who wrote the 2007 novel on which the film was based, had already discussed specifics. 

“It’s going to happen five or six years afterwards,” he said. “It’s going to be a new movie, a different tone.”

Stars Timothée Chalamet, who was nominated for Best Actor, and Armie Hammer would be back as star-crossed lovers Elio and Oliver, Guadagnino said. However, the setting may not be limited to Italy this time around. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/call-me-by-your-name-sequel_us_5a9db02ee4b089ec353dd3fc

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

‘Call Me By Your Name’ Director Reveals Details On Film’s Sequel

Luca Guadagnino promised “a new movie, a different tone” and another locale.

Director Luca Guadagnino said he is “already conceiving” a sequel to 2017′s queer romantic drama “Call Me by Your Name.”

The Academy Award-nominated director shared some vague, but exciting, details about a sequel on the Oscars red carpet Sunday night. He told USA Today that he and author André Aciman, who wrote the 2007 novel on which the film was based, had already discussed specifics. 

“It’s going to happen five or six years afterwards,” he said. “It’s going to be a new movie, a different tone.”

Stars Timothée Chalamet, who was nominated for Best Actor, and Armie Hammer would be back as star-crossed lovers Elio and Oliver, Guadagnino said. However, the setting may not be limited to Italy this time around. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/call-me-by-your-name-sequel_us_5a9db02ee4b089ec353dd3fc

I'm no too crazy about some of Aciman's ideas for the characters but hey it's his creation and perhaps some films really don't need sequels - does anyone remember "Oliver's Story"?

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 1:00 PM, rayban said:

What is up with that first picture - Timothee has his leggins around his ankles?!

Armie Hammer played J. Edgar Hoover's lover, Clyde Tolson, in "J. Edgar".

I am so glad that you finally saw the film and that you will be seeing it again.

I agree, one viewing isn't enough.

leonardo-dicaprio-j-edgar-premiere-10.jp

tumblr_m4ngrbT67q1qcp29wo1_250.gif

Yes, I was wondering the same thing about why Timothee has his leggings pulled down in that first picture!  

Who knows?  I suppose a sensible explanation could be that it was too damp and cold near the waterfall so Timothee was wearing them until it was time for photographs and filming.  But who really wants to be sensible when it comes to these two?!

Cascate del Serio is certainly a beautiful location.

By the way, I was very happy that James Ivory won the Oscar last night for Adapted Screenplay.  I also felt this was the film's best chance at winning an award.  I was pulling for "Mystery of Love" to win Best Song as well, but suspected it probably wouldn't.  And, as you mentioned, Rayban, I was disappointed that the song was presented in a shorter version.  

In any case, our guys were looking awfully cute last night!

http://cdn01.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/armie-oscars/timothee-chalamet-armie-hammer-look-so-handsome-at-oscars-02.jpg

• Like 2

It drives me nuts when people watch the movie and say that it's a about child rape?  In what scene does Oliver rape Elio?  Is this a sign of the their homophobia?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jaragon said:

It drives me nuts when people watch the movie and say that it's a about child rape?  In what scene does Oliver rape Elio?  Is this a sign of the their homophobia?

Yes, it is.

Oliver was initially attracted to Elio - but, he shied away.

Elio becomes "the aggressor".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rayban said:

Who could forget the scene near the end of Brokeback with the shirt, so heartbreaking.

So, was keeping the shirt also in the book? I think it was written around 2007 which would have been around the same time as Brokeback. So glad I got to catch CMBYN in the theater. It only had 2 showings in the days just before the Oscars. 

• Like 3

On 3/6/2018 at 7:19 AM, jaragon said:

So how would you describe the relationship?     Yea, everything is consensual,  but like we say with the Roy Moore cases,  when one is a minor and the other is over 30,  that isn't view as creepy,  at best.   This is a major theme of the #MeToo movement. 

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So how would you describe the relationship?     Yea, everything is consensual,  but like we say with the Roy Moore cases,  when one is a minor and the other is over 30,  that isn't view as creepy,  at best.   This is a major theme of the #MeToo movement. 

In the story Oliver is not over thirty- yes I know Armie Hammer doesn't look 25.  Elio is not a child. He is sexually active with his  "girlfriend".  Oliver does not rape him.    My feeling is that people who are turn off by the movie do not like to see gay men having sex on the screen.  Gays are fine as long as they are sexless clowns. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jaragon said:

In the story Oliver is not over thirty- yes I know Armie Hammer doesn't look 25.  Elio is not a child. He is sexually active with his  "girlfriend".  Oliver does not rape him.    My feeling is that people who are turn off by the movie do not like to see gay men having sex on the screen.  Gays are fine as long as they are sexless clowns. 

I finally watched the movie this past week. I was disappointed at first, and my review in the "I Just Watched" thread reflected that. But I also added an addendum the next day, as the movie stuck in my mind, and the more I thought about it, the more moving I found it, especially that powerful final shot of Elio's face during the end credits. 

As for what you're discussing, I didn't find the movie disturbing or creepy or "rape-y". Yes, there is a double standard in that, if Elio had been Elia (meaning a 17-year-old girl) and Oliver was a 25-30 year old man, there would be more of an uproar, and perhaps even if Oliver had been an Olivia. But the way it's presented in this story, it's completely unpredatory. 

The movie's sex scenes are very matter-of-fact, graphic in implication, and much more sensual/erotic than those in Brokeback Mountain. And I say that as a straight man. I wasn't put off by it, and in fact there are Elio's sex scenes with Marzia, which are just as erotic, if clumsy and realistic. 

• Like 4