Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Call Me by Your Name

9 posts in this topic

So it looks like Call Me by Your Name is going to be a major contender this awards season, already racking up a few best-of-the-year accolades and a few Best Actor wins for Timothee Chalamet.

Has anyone here seen it? Does it deserve the awards love it's getting? Any comments about the film or the current political climate and how that shapes the film's reception, either positively or negatively? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the film achieves the greatness of the novel, it cannot help but be a winner.

• Like 2

I have not seen it yet- and have mixed feelings when a film is over hyped it sometimes fails to live up to our expectations- but yes it does look like the gay darling of award season.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jaragon said:

I have not seen it yet- and have mixed feelings when a film is over hyped it sometimes fails to live up to our expectations- but yes it does look like the gay darling of award season.

It's hard to tell from all the press whether or not it's the "gay darling" aspect which is driving the interest. I have to admit I have hopes that after the vacuum left in the wake of Brokeback Mountain we might finally have another gay-themed film with broad popular appeal. But the public is so fickle about what it will and won't accept. Also, the age discrepancy thing is coming at the exact wrong time. 

My main concern is that the story in the book is told from a singular (and kind of brooding) point of view, that of the "boy". So much of it is stream-of-consciousness that the actual narrative is pretty bare bones. But, from the sound of it, there's a strong narrative in place for the film version, as well as fully-realized characters. (The father gets a lot of mention.) From all I've heard, I'm expecting excellence, but I think you're right to wonder if there might not be some kind of wish-fulfilment fantasy at work in terms of the film's reputation.

• Like 2

Elio and Oliver - a love so strong - not even time itself can obliterate it -

CallMeByYourName.jpg

The novel was adapted by James Ivory who did the same for "Maurice" (1987) - the studio is giving a very slow prestige release they are obviously hoping the film is prime Oscar bait.

• Like 1