kjrwe

Favourite Christmas films

12 posts in this topic

So what are your favourite Christmas films, or at least, films with some longer scenes set over Christmas?

Mine:

Christmas Vacation

Period of Adjustment

The Shop Around the Corner

In the Good Old Summertime (don't let the title fool you)

Little Women (1933 and 1949 versions)

The Polar Express

The Trouble With Angels

A Christmas Carol (starring Alastair Sim)

well, I always watch certain films at Christmas time...

Miracle on 34th Street

A Christmas Story

Holiday Inn

The Shop Around the Corner

and on Christmas eve, or Christmas day, I always watch The Lemon Drop Kid

It's also time to put Let It Snow, Handel's Messiah and In Dulci Jubilo back on my phone...

I watched The Great Rupert (1950) last night and it exceeded my expectations.  I haven't really liked Jimmy Durante since I was a kid but here he plays a third-rate performer who cannot get a job and he did well.  The Great Rupert is a performing squirrel that belongs to Jimmy Conlin.  He can do just about anything but talk.  Despite this, Conlin too cannot get a job and is put out on the street at Christmas time.  Not being able to provide for his squirrel he takes it to the park to let it go.  This scene really had me giggling.  It is the classic cliched tear-filled "go on, get out of here" attempt to make either the kid or the dog leave for its own good.  But here Conlin is playing off of a rather cheesy stop-motion puppet.  The film has some good laughs and everyone does quite well which is probably because of its director, Irving Pichel.  Frank Cady, aka Mr. Drucker from Green Acres turns up as an IRS man.  There currently is a copy on youtube.

My favorites that haven’t been mentioned:

1.) The Apartment
2.) Fanny and Alexander
3.) Night of the Hunter
4.) My Night at Maud’s
5.) Mon Oncle Antoine
6.) Tale of Tales
7.) Carol
8.) The Proposition
9.) Blast of Silence
10.) A Midnight Clear

Runners up: Santa Claus Has Blue Eyes, A Christmas Tale, Three Days of the Condor, The Dead, In Bruges

• Like 1

Hey, Kjrwe!

I too, like PERIOD OF ADJUSTMENT and also think of it as a Christmas movie.  But I've still yet to get a copy of it. :(

My usual annual list of Christmas movie watching fare is:

A CHRISTMAS CAROL('51)

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

MIRACLE ON 34th STREET( both '47 and '94)

CHRISTMAS VACATION

A CHRISTMAS STORY

TRAPPED IN PARADISE ('94)

Those are the ones I own.  Any others I'll wait until they show up scheduled on the tube. ;)

And welcome to the boards. :) (in case I forgot to mention it earlier)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KilgoreTrout said:

My favorites that haven’t been mentioned:

1.) The Apartment
2.) Fanny and Alexander
3.) Night of the Hunter
4.) My Night at Maud’s
5.) Mon Oncle Antoine
6.) Tale of Tales
7.) Carol
8.) The Proposition
9.) Blast of Silence
10.) A Midnight Clear

Runners up: Santa Claus Has Blue Eyes, A Christmas Tale, Three Days of the Condor, The Dead, In Bruges

I have a love \ hate relationship with The Night of the Hunter being included as a Christmas film.   ;)

• Haha 1

Nice to see at least one other person mention Period of Adjustment:)

It's a Wonderful Life is one of those films which I've tried to watch a few times, but I've never been able to finish it. Not sure why, since the storyline is a good one and I like James Stewart. 

I haven't seen a lot of the films mentioned in this thread. I'm sure that they're good ones.

TRAPPED IN PARADISE is one a nephew of mine turned me on to about 18-19 years ago.  It's basically a comedy about three brothers( Nicholas Cage, Jon Lovitz and Dana Carvey) that pull a bank heist in a small town and have problems getting OUT of town.  And takes place on Christmas Eve, so there's the seasonal connection.  FLORENCE STANLEY is a hoot as their Mother.

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

TRAPPED IN PARADISE is one a nephew of mine turned me on to about 18-19 years ago.  It's basically a comedy about three brothers( Nicholas Cage, Jon Lovitz and Dana Carvey) that pull a bank heist in a small town and have problems getting OUT of town.  And takes place on Christmas Eve, so there's the seasonal connection.  FLORENCE STANLEY is a hoot as their Mother.

Sepiatone

That really was a funny film--haven't seen it in years..thanks for the memory jog!

• Like 1

Films I have to watch:

Remember the Night (I just discovered this Barbara Stanwyck/Fred MacMurray film a couple years ago and its since been added to my Christmas film rotation)

Holiday Inn (My favorite routine in the film is the Washington's birthday number where Bing Crosby, as conductor of the orchestra, forces Fred Astaire to dance in different styles and tempos in quick succession... I may watch this film today.) 

Meet Me in St. Louis (It's schmaltzy, but I don't care, I love it)

Holiday Affair (I just discovered this film this year, but I think it'll have to become part of my Christmas routine)

White Christmas (I love this movie.  It's such a joy)

A Christmas Story (I've seen this film so many times, I can quote it along with the narrator.  One of my favorite parts, after Randy falls on the ground chasing the bullies: "Randy laid there like a slug. It was his only defense.")

Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (This movie has everything)

Elf 

Love Actually

A Charlie Brown Christmas (this cartoon seems shorter and shorter every year)

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (I only watch the cartoon one.  I do not recognize the 2000 Jim Carrey version).

Frosty the Snowman 

Never Say Goodbye (Errol dressed as Santa? Yes please)

Grumpy Old Men (This film is hilarious, I never tire of it)

Films I usually end up watching at some point during the holiday season:

The Thin Man (covers Christmas & New Years)

Meet John Doe 

Christmas in Connecticut 

It's a Wonderful Life

Miracle on 34th Street

The Bishop's Wife 

Home Alone

The Muppet Christmas Carol (The only version of "The Christmas Carol" that I enjoy watching)

A Very Brady Christmas 

Bachelor Mother

I'll Be Seeing You 

Bell, Book and Candle (This is also a great Halloween movie!)

Susan Slept Here (Debbie Reynolds and Dick Powell are kind of a mis-matched couple, but I enjoy this film)

Hmm...I think I forgot to mention Grumpy Old Men. That one, along with Grumpier Old Men, is one which I generally watch in November. They're both very funny films. 

I liked Elf when I saw it in the theaters, but I haven't seen it since then.

I used to like Love Actually, but these past few years, I haven't been able to stomach it. Not sure why. I think I keep comparing it to Period of Adjustment (a superior film, in my opinion).

Last time I saw A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas was when I was a kid in the eighties. (The Jim Carrey version was absolutely horrible.)

Home Alone is one of those films which I enjoyed in the early nineties (what teen didn't?), but it's not something I'd watch now.

There are a couple of Christmas films starring Barbara Stanwyck which I need to revisit. I tried to watch them about 10 years ago and I couldn't get into them. Most likely I was just in the wrong mood. I love Stanwyck. I'll give them another look one of these days.

21 hours ago, shutoo said:

That really was a funny film--haven't seen it in years..thanks for the memory jog!

Glad to help.

It's clear we all have our favorites.  And some just loved by others are also disliked by still others.  Really doesn't matter which movies anyone ELSE likes that I hate.  If it makes YOUR Christmas season a merry one, how can I possibly object?

Sepiatone