Sign in to follow this  
Motown59

Word of Mouth collage pictures

14 posts in this topic

I am new to the board so I do not know if this question has ever been asked: in the “Word of Mouth” collage has the mouths of the various actors ever been identified?

5 hours ago, Motown59 said:

I am new to the board so I do not know if this question has ever been asked: in the “Word of Mouth” collage has the mouths of the various actors ever been identified?

Those identities piqued my interest also, but without dental records - I have no idea.

In an earlier thread on the Word of Mouth segments, one of the mods (lzcutter) responded with some background knowledge - perhaps she might know/be able to find out?

I took a screen picture of them once and identified many of them.

Even when they show it, I can spot Liz Taylor's right in the center somewhere.

TCM should put it on this page in a printable version and have a contest with a prize to see who can identify the most lips from the collage.

I definitely would like to be in the competition!

Great question, Motown and welcome to the board.

Here you go CG:

5a29b9241104c_WordofMouth-JudyGarland.TS_snapshot_00.00_2017_12.07_14_25_15.thumb.jpg.de8a1976a75c5eaffdeea6146580b2ce.jpg

5a29b92556024_WordofMouth-JudyGarland.TS_snapshot_00.00_2017_12.07_14_25_46.thumb.jpg.1f101b132a2fa783be53baa68875b849.jpg

5a29b926ac05e_WordofMouth-JudyGarland.TS_snapshot_00.01_2017_12.07_14_28_32.thumb.jpg.c744f4edb500216011914eb5e985f15a.jpg

5a29b927c000e_WordofMouth-JudyGarland.TS_snapshot_00.04_2017_12.07_14_30_56.thumb.jpg.e17ab340a2f5335033f4738e3ed7a5fc.jpg

5a29b92918fbf_WordofMouth-JudyGarland.TS_snapshot_00.05_2017_12.07_14_31_23.thumb.jpg.3cf7676f406ae707ce064f1ff2ef1dab.jpg

As you see, the celebrity squares change during the sequence, so you have some more guesses to make. I think I got most of 'em snapped.

It's probably easiest to reference each populated square by it's frame#, horizontal:vertical position, starting bottom left:

• 5th frame 5:2 One of the Fairbanks?
  • 4th frame 4:3 Liz Taylor?
  • 4th frame 3:2 Greta Garbo?

Definitely Garbo, and Taylor.

Not sure I understand your mapping with the terms.

I think Norma Shearer is in the mix from what I have printed from my screen and people like Charles Boyer, Marilyn and Dick Powell. Please explain what you mean by 5:2 and all so I can follow. Otherwise this may end up like the 340 word cipher from Zodiac!

9 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Definitely Garbo, and Taylor.

Not sure I understand your mapping with the terms.

I think Norma Shearer is in the mix from what I have printed from my screen and people like Charles Boyer, Marilyn and Dick Powell. Please explain what you mean by 5:2 and all so I can follow. Otherwise this may end up like the 340 word cipher from Zodiac!

It's like map co-ordinates, so:

5:2 -> the square that is fifth along from the left & 2nd up from the bottom.

Maybe the prize should be a working Enigma machine?

ps: I think that 4th frame, 3:4 might the same toothy image as in the 1st frame...

Gee, I would have done it just the opposite way. Tony Robbins would say we have differing modes of thought, not that I follow him. I have a friend though who talks about anchoring and walking on coals and all that other stuff of his continually so excuse me for losing contact with reality, Limey.

Now I get it and I think 4:4 is Liz also with 3:2 definitively Garbo. I'm gonna print this and work on it tonight. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am thinking maybe in the 3rd (and 4th frame) that 5:4 (I think, bottom row, second to the right to the left of the orange square) might be Judy Garland. 

In the 5th frame, 1:4 (bottom left corner), maybe that's Charlie Chaplin? 

3rd Frame, 1:2 (first column on left, second one down), maybe Audrey Hepburn?

Hello everyone, newbie here, I have a question, does anyone know who's voice is at the very end of the "word of mouth" ad? The actress says "Loved every minute of it" She's sounds familiar, I just can't place her voice.

Thanks,

Betsy

Fouth on the top row is Roz Russell
Second row, fourth square is def Liz Taylor, as everyone knows
Third row, second square could be Hedy Lamarr but third square is def Garbo
Third row, square six might be Bogart
Fourth row, third square looks to be Myrna Loy to me-she had that "hidden tooth"
Fourth row, fifth square does seem to be Norma Shearer
Bring on a more complete photo of the squares....I'm sure I can offer guesses to all.

Limey, thanks for printing up all five pages.

Based on five screen shot panels, with the first two having the female and male combined giant mouth shots, I am working below on the third panel, with the many noses and mouths.

First row on Panel #3, to the far left with Box #1, an early shot possibly of Marilyn Monroe, before she achieved her later overdrawn lips outline.

Same Panel #3, Row #3 and 4, Box # 3 coming from the left, Alla Nazimova possibly.

Same Panel #3, Row #3 and 4, Box #4 coming from the left, Charles Boyer possibly.

Now working on Panel #4, Top Row, 2nd Box from Left...looks like Ingrid Bergman to me.

And in Panel # 4, on the bottom Row #4, the 4th Box over from the left, could be Robert Cummings possibly.

And continuing on Panel #4, Row #4, Box # 6 to the extreme right, could be Dick Powell.

And another possibility for Panel #4, Row #1, Box #4 from the left is Gypsy Rose Lee.

And on Panel #4 again, Row #4, Box #3 from the left, looks a bit like Claire Trevor.

Panel #4, Row #3, Box #4 from the left, possibly Laraine Day.

If they'd only put Joe E. Brown's or Gloria Grahame's mouths on this, it would be so easy!

In the "TCM Word of Mouth" montage of audio clips beginning "Gregory Peck, Judy Garland" and continuing "Ford, Hawks," who is the woman speaking near the end and more importantly what is she saying?  It sounds like "Best bruggle I ever had," and I have struggled in vain to imagine what word or words in any language this could be!  Please help, this has been driving me nuts for years! Thanks.

32 minutes ago, CoriSCapnSkip said:

In the "TCM Word of Mouth" montage of audio clips beginning "Gregory Peck, Judy Garland" and continuing "Ford, Hawks," who is the woman speaking near the end and more importantly what is she saying?

Hi. I'm fairly certain she says "Best role that I ever had", albeit in a slightly garbled manner. As to the identity of the actress, there I'm at a loss. Quite a few of the Word of Mouth segments can be found on Youtube, so you might be able to peruse those and catch that phrase in there somewhere.