Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Briefly Lyrical

449 posts in this topic

See if you can identify a famous movie song with 6 words are less from the lyrics.

When you identify the song, please, also identify The Lyricist and  The Composer, along with the name of the movie it comes from. 

To identify the artist who performs the number is optional, but certainly even more fun.

Next: " wider than a mile "

okay, I'll try...

That's the first line of Moon River, sung by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's; Henry Mancini composed, and Johnny Mercer wrote the lyrics..

I have a feeling Princess of Tap made this one easy for a reason...but I like the idea

9 hours ago, shutoo said:

okay, I'll try...

That's the first line of Moon River, sung by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's; Henry Mancini composed, and Johnny Mercer wrote the lyrics..

I have a feeling Princess of Tap made this one easy for a reason...but I like the idea

And you probably have a feeling that Andy Williams is my favorite male singer  too!

Shutoo, you have successfully launched the thread. It's your turn--

"I Believe in You" by Frank Loesser in movie "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying". Loesser wrote words and music.

"LSD LBJ/FBI CIA"

Fred Astaire singing I Won't Dance in Roberta, Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein lyrics (but when I looked it up, I found the lyrics were re-written by Dorothy Fields Otto A. Harbach and Jimmy McHugh)

next--"..there's Cadillacs all shiny and new'

• Thanks 1

A Lot of Livin' to Do from Bye Bye Birdie and sung by Jesse Pearson, Ann-Margret and Bobby Rydell.

Next:  "Franklin Roosevelt's looks give me a thrill"

• Like 2

Judy sang this song in a medley at the Palladium with Liza:

" (I like New York in June) How About You?"--  Judy and Mickey sang this in Babes on Broadway. It was written by Burton Lane with lyrics by Ralph Freed, Arthur's brother.

Next: " MissusR... can broadcast a bed from Simmons..."

I believe that lyric is from Anything Goes from the movie and show of the same name.  I'm guessing that particular lyric was sung by Ethel Merman in the 1936 movie adaptation of the show, rather than in the 1956 Anything Goes movie, which had a completely different story and bore no relation to the original show.  Also, by that time that lyric would no longer have been topical.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Judy sang this song in a medley at the Palladium with Liza:

" (I like New York in June) How About You?"--  Judy and Mickey sang this in Babes on Broadway. It was written by Burton Lane with lyrics by Ralph Freed, Arthur's brother.

Next: " MissusR... can broadcast a bed from Simmons..." 

"So Missus R., with all her trimmings

Can broadcast a bed from Simmons

Cause Franklin knows

Anything Goes"

Star-- I was just waiting for you to answer this one.LOL Thanks, Your turn--

• Thanks 1

Starlit, you know that's an easy one for me.  It's "At The Codfish Ball" from "Captain January".  The music was by Lew Pollack and lyrics by Sidney Mitchell.  It was sung and danced by Shirley Temple and Buddy Ebsen.  Here it is:

I was counting on you to get that one, Miles.  I knew it would be right up your alley.  Thanks for the clip.  That's one of my favorite dance routines of Shirley's. 

And now I'm going to shuffle off to Buffalo and let you take the thread.

"Thanks for the Memory" - lyrics by Leo Rubin, music by Ralph Rainger, sung by Bob Hope and Shirley Ross in the movie "The Big Broadcast of 1938"

One of my favorite Judy Garland songs from the movies-- "Better Luck Next Time" from Irving Berlin's Easter Parade

48 minutes ago, MarshaKatz said:

Thanks, Miles,

Here's one...

"I'd like a new lucky day"

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

One of my favorite Judy Garland songs from the movies-- "Better Luck Next Time" from Irving Berlin's Easter Parade

Correct, Princess.  One of my favorite Irving Berlin songs and Judy sings it wonderfully. It's your thread.

• Like 1

"There's somethin' amiss and I'll eat my hat if this isn't love".

"If This Isn't Love" was a song from "Finian's Rainbow".  It was first on Broadway in 1947 with lyrics by E.Y. Harburg and music by Burton Lane.  The movie was made in 1968.  It was Fred Astaire's last musical except for the "That's Entertainment" documentaries.  The song was sung by Don Francks, Petula Clark, and Fred Astaire.  I couldn't find a video clip, but I did find this audio clip.

• Like 1

I always loved those Yip Harburg lyrics in this song, like: "I'll eat my hat if this isn't love".

Yip also wrote that other great rainbow show tune,  Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

Yip may not have written as much as a lot of others but what he wrote, we couldn't live without!

A secret,  a secret,  I've got a little secret, but it's a secret no more:

Miles, you're up--