Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Briefly Lyrical

421 posts in this topic

Starlit, you are so close that I'm going to let everyone know the answer.  The song is "They Always Pick On Me" from "Hello, Frisco, Hello".  That's the movie that gave us the Oscar winning song "You'll Never Know".  Here is a recording by Alice Faye.

It was one of those turn of the century songs that Fox featured in many of their forties musicals.

Starliteyes, you did a lot of work on this one.  You get to go next. 

• Thanks 1

The lazy river goes drifting along

While daffodils dance on a hill

And while it's drifting, it composes a song

To a water lily

I believe in train of thought and coincidences.

Last night I was watching as usual Perry Mason and Irene Hervey was on.

Which of course led me to think about Allan Jones, which led me to think about Jack Jones on the Judy Garland show.

So today when you gave me this question I automatically went straight for the movie  " Everybody Sing ".

It's weird but all of those people have been on my mind for the last 24 hours and that's what helped me answer the question. The song is: " Down on Melody Farm ".

"Everybody Sing" starred Allan Jones, Judy and Fanny Brice.

Which of course made me remember when Barbra Streisand came on Judy's show and said she was getting ready to do a musical on Broadway about Fanny Brice. Maybe that will be another question someday. LOL

4 hours ago, starliteyes said:

The male star of the movie, who was also a singer, had a son who would also become a popular singer.

• Like 1

Wow, that was some train of thought that led you to the right answer, Princess!  Down on Melody Farm wasn't one of Judy's more famous songs, but I've always liked it.

You're up next.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Wow, that was some train of thought that led you to the right answer, Princess!  Down on Melody Farm wasn't one of Judy's more famous songs, but I've always liked it.

You're up next.

Thanks.

I can't say this about any other singer. It didn't matter what Judy sang; she made it unique and made you want to hear it.

I guess it's obvious that she's my favorite singer. LOL

I shall return.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 6:32 PM, Princess of Tap said:

"And out the doorway

Our cares will fly away"

Just as you can guess; this jaunty song was written for a dancer and this dancer sang and danced to it in a movie.

That would be a Gershwin song called "Let's Kiss And Make Up" from "Funny Face".  The number features a skinny old guy named Fred, and a skinny young woman named Audrey.  Together they can't weigh more than 150 pounds.  There's also a cow, or is it a bull?  I don't know, but the old guy tries to impress the young woman with his matador skills.  Check out this clip:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

That would be a Gershwin song called "Let's Kiss And Make Up" from "Funny Face".  The number features a skinny old guy named Fred, and a skinny young woman named Audrey.  Together they can't weigh more than 150 pounds.  There's also a cow, or is it a bull?  I don't know, but the old guy tries to impress the young woman with his matador skills.  Check out this clip:

Miles,  in the words of another song that the Gershwins wrote for Fred Astaire:

You're  S'wonderful!

Thanks loads and you're next--

Yes, it's a Gershwin song.  I'm surprised that no one got it earlier.  "Girl Crazy" premiered on Broadway in 1930.  It was Ethel Merman's Broadway debut and it made a star out of Ginger Rogers.  A movie version was made in 1932, but it only contained a few of the original songs.  The 1943 MGM version is the one that we all know.  Here is Judy along with a male chorus:

In the original Broadway show, Ginger Rogers played a character named Molly Gray and Ethel Merman played Frisco Kate.  For the 1943 movie, the parts were combined into one for Judy, whose character was named Ginger Gray.

By the way, there was another sort of remake in 1965.  It was called "When The Boys Meet The Girls", and it starred Connie Francis.  Several of the Gershwin songs were retained for this version.  "Bidin' My Time" was sung by Herman's Hermits.  I kid you not.

Starliteyes, you're up next. 

• Haha 1

I'll stick with Judy's version if you don't mind, Miles, but thanks for the Herman's Hermits clip.  I've never seen hen the Boys Meet the Girls, although I do remember seeing the coming attractions for it a long time ago.

Now let's see who can identify these lyrics:

Your face is your fortune so some wise man spoke

My face is my fortune, that's why I'm always broke!

On 11/17/2018 at 4:51 PM, starliteyes said:

Your face is your fortune so some wise man spoke

My face is my fortune, that's why I'm always broke!

Song is from a film version of a 1940 Broadway show.

The song is "I've Still Got My Health".  It was written by Cole Porter for a Broadway show called "Panama Hattie", which starred Ethel Merman.  The movie version, from 1942, starred Ann Sothern.  Here she is:

If you missed that movie, you may remember the song being performed by Bette Midler in the eighties tear-jerker "Beaches".

• Like 1

I haven't seen Beaches since it first came out, and I must admit I didn't remember Bette Midler's rendition of the song.  Thanks for the clip, Miles.

And now it's back to you!