Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Briefly Lyrical

759 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Another hint:

The movie in which the song was sung was the penultimate film of an Oscar-winning director whose daughter would later win an Oscar.

Yves Montand singing "Come Back To Me" from   "On  A Clear Day You Can See Forever" directed by Vincente Minnelli, lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and music by Burton Lane.

Just now, Princess of Tap said:

Yves Montand singing "Come Back To Me" from  on a clear day you can see forever directed by Vincente Minnelli.

Yes, Princess of Tap. Just identify the lyricist and composer to complete the challenge.

15 minutes ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Another hint:

The movie in which the song was sung was the penultimate film of an Oscar-winning director whose daughter would later win an Oscar.

Just now, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

Yes, Princess of Tap. Just identify the lyricist and composer to complete the challenge.

Yeah I already did above. I didn't get it at first because these lyrics are just in the movie and they're not from the original show. That was a good question because we don't hear much about that movie anymore.

And talking about New York, ironically I saw that movie at Lowe's New York. LOL

3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Yeah I already did above. I didn't get it at first because these lyrics are just in the movie and they're not from the original show. That was a good question because we don't hear much about that movie anymore.

And talking about New York, ironically I saw that movie at Lowe's New York. LOL

You identified the singer and the movie's director but not the lyricist and composer of the song.

Here are the rules from the original post of the thread: 

See if you can identify a famous movie song with 6 words are less from the lyrics.

When you identify the song, please, also identify The Lyricist and  The Composer, along with the name of the movie it comes from. 

PS. It's cool that you saw the movie in New York City!

• Thanks 1

Bagel-- I did all that about 15 minutes ago but sometimes my digital device doesn't save everything.

Thank you for playing.

4 minutes ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

You identified the singer and the movie's director but not the lyricist and composer of the song.

Here are the rules from the original post of the thread: 

See if you can identify a famous movie song with 6 words are less from the lyrics.

When you identify the song, please, also identify The Lyricist and  The Composer, along with the name of the movie it comes from. 

PS. It's cool that you saw the movie in New York City!

29 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Yves Montand singing "Come Back To Me" from   "On  A Clear Day You Can See Forever" directed by Vincente Minnelli, lyriecs by Alan Jay Lerner and music by Burton Lane.

Yes, I see you updated your response.

Alan Jay Lerner wrote additional lyrics for the version of "Come Back To Me" sung by Yves Montand in the movie, including some lyrics in French.

The song is "I Believe In You".  It was written by Frank Loesser for "How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying".  It was a hit Broadway show and then a 1967 movie with Robert Morse and Michelle Lee.

7 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

The song is "I Believe In You".  It was written by Frank Loesser for "How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying".  It was a hit Broadway show and then a 1967 movie with Robert Morse and Michelle Lee.

Yes, Miles, it's been many years since I've listened to this song, but all of a sudden that catchy little phrase came back to me. 

I knew it wouldn't take you long to get this one. LOL  Good Job!

I always liked it. Never saw the show or the movie, but I can remember when " I Believe in You " was the song of the moment and everybody had a recording out on it.

Frank Loesser is really something: doing the words and the music. He really does deserve more recognition than he gets.

Now, Miles-- You are a Seeker of wisdom and truth--it's your turn.....

This one should be pretty easy.

For every boy who passes me I shout "Hey, maybe,
You were meant to be my loving baby"

That really is an easy one, Miles.  The song is Somebody Loves Me.  The music was written by George Gershwin and the lyrics are by Ballard MacDonald & Buddy DeSylva.  The song was originally featured in the 1924 edition of George White's Scandals.  Now as to what movie it was featured in, there are several.  I'm thinking that maybe you had the Betty Hutton biopic of Blossom Seeley in mind because the title of the film is Somebody Loves Me.  I've never seen it, but I see that it was sung by Ralph Meeker and reprised again at the end by Betty Hutton and Ralph Meeker.  Here's a recording of Betty singing it:

Doris Day & Gene Nelson also danced to it in Lullaby of Broadway:

It was also featured in the Gershwin biopic Rhapsody in Blue where it was performed by Joan Leslie & Tom Patricola:

Lena Horne also sang it in Broadway Rhythm and I'm not sure, but I think Marge & Gower Champion might have danced to it in Three for the Show.

Yes, Starlit.  I think that Peggy Lee sang it in "Pete Kelly's Blues" as well.  I was just going to post the intro, or verse, but that's rarely heard, so I went with the easy part.  Your turn, Star, and thanks for the clips.

• Thanks 1

Prouder than a peacock

Struttin' down the street

Haven't you heard

I'm like a bird

With wings on my feet?

This song was the only song in this little programmer.  It was sung by the same youthful star at the very beginning of the film over the credits, then during the film and at the very end of the film. 

On 3/31/2019 at 6:44 PM, starliteyes said:

Absolutely right, Bagel!  

Your thread.

Bagel, it's your turn.