Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Briefly Lyrical

366 posts in this topic

Okay, to recap the song is from a 1940's Samuel Goldwyn production.

Next hint:  The title of the song is the same as a much more famous Cole Porter song that was written for a big Broadway hit of his about 3 years after this movie came out.

On 12/22/2017 at 8:14 PM, Princess of Tap said:

So in Love was from Danny Kaye's movie The Wonder Man by Leo Robin and David Rose

Next: " Movin and a groovin gonna  Satisfy My Soul"

Hint#1-- Wanda Jackson had a hit with this song.

Well, because of the Wanda Jackson clue, I thought Let's Have a Party..so I thought Connie Francis in Looking for Love, but that's a different song...so then I thought Elvis (had to look up film) in Loving You, but when I watched the clip of it...the opening is different and he doesn't say this line...so is there a film where Wanda Jackson sang it?

3 hours ago, shutoo said:

Well, because of the Wanda Jackson clue, I thought Let's Have a Party..so I thought Connie Francis in Looking for Love, but that's a different song...so then I thought Elvis (had to look up film) in Loving You, but when I watched the clip of it...the opening is different and he doesn't say this line...so is there a film where Wanda Jackson sang it?

Shutoo--  Loving You is a great film for Elvis's first star outing because it shows a Southern country singer working his way up on the Carney circuit. "Party" is one of the montage songs that demonstrates the rise of Elvis's character Deke Rivers.  You may have to go through two or three Clips before you get to the one where he uses the lyrics I cited.  And those are the lyrics used on the soundtrack recording.

BTW-- I don't know if you're an Elvis fan, but if you haven't seen this film all the way through you will truly enjoy it, not just for his fabulous music, but Lizabeth Scott is quite good too.

Shutoo-- "Send them to the store and let's buy some more and let's have a party tonight." You're up!

Thanks Princess..it's been a long time since I'd seen that Elvis film, and I could only find one clip to jog my memory.

next: "And I fill the bed with nutshells and crumbs"

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:49 PM, shutoo said:

Thanks Princess..it's been a long time since I'd seen that Elvis film, and I could only find one clip to jog my memory.

next: "And I fill the bed with nutshells and crumbs"

I'm afraid this was a little obscure...I'll give you the line that precedes it, and I bet someone will know:

"I eat litchi nuts and cookies in bed"

"Don't Marry Me!" 

"I have irritating habits you'll dread.  Like the way I have a cracking my thumbs."

Sung by one of my very favorite people, Barney Miller's own, Jack Soo-- from Flower Drum Song

Next: "  Bobby Darin, Sandra Dee and Dewey "

• Like 1

I had a hunch, checked it out and I was right.  It's Rumble Rumble Rumble, sung by Betty Hutton in The Perils of Pauline.  Here's the clip, but you have to wait until almost the end to hear the quoted line:

• Like 2

"Say We're Sweethearts Again" sung by Virginia O'Brien in MEET THE PEOPLE

(p.s. sorry I missed the "hint" request--holidays are distracting) :)

next

"Today the world was just an address"

That's from "The Moon And The Willow Tree".  It was sung by Dorothy Lamour in "The Road To Singapore".  Here is an audio clip:

Next:  I found my romance when she went dancing by, and she must be a Castillian, si si!

That's She's a Latin from Manhattan sung by Al Jolson in Go Into Your Dance.

Next:  "I want to sing, I want to waltz"

• Like 1

"It's Foolish But It's Fun" sung by Deanna Durbin in "Spring Parade" (1940)

Next: "Two heads together can be better than one/that's what they say."

"  Wonder how it would be to have someone to pillow talk with me "-- Doris Day singing Pillow Talk from Pillow Talk

Next: " Why am I smiling and why do I sing "

• Like 1

That's from the introductory verse to Singin' in the Rain, originally introduced by Cliff Edwards in The Hollywood Revue of 1929.

Next:  "The night is cold, the trees are bare"

• Like 1

"June in January" introduced by Bing Crosby in the movie "Here is My Heart" (1934).

Next: "She brings to those who love/the sweet fulfillment of their secret longing"