Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

Briefly Lyrical

375 posts in this topic

Obviously nobody cares...It's "When You Wish Upon a Star" from the 1940 Disney classic "Pinocchio" performed by Cliff Edwards.

8 hours ago, marcar said:

Obviously nobody cares...It's "When You Wish Upon a Star" from the 1940 Disney classic "Pinocchio" performed by Cliff Edwards.

Marcar-- That was a great question. The last time I saw that film I was two or three years -old in the arms of my grandmother watching  Disneyland on television. 

And you can rest assured that I remember the song very well, but since I couldn't read I probably just remembered a few key words in the song.  It looks like you stumped us here. LOL

• Thanks 1

Do you know this one?

My mother used to say to me
When you grow up, my son
I hope you're a bum like your father was
'Cause a good man ain't no fun!

Stonecutters Cut It On Wood from "Carousel", music by Richard Rodgers, lyric by Oscar Hammerstein II.

Is that right? I better check before I add a new one...

Well, I'll go ahead:

Next: "Each night I wish on a star

That you stay

As you are"

8 hours ago, marcar said:

Stonecutters Cut It On Wood from "Carousel", music by Richard Rodgers, lyric by Oscar Hammerstein II.

Is that right? I better check before I add a new one...

The title was "Stonecutters Cut It On Stone".  The next line is "Woodpeckers Peck It On Wood".

Sorry, I guess I didn't get it right...do I keep the thread going with my last lyric or do you want another turn?

I'll keep going with my lyrics

18 hours ago, marcar said:

"Each night I wish on a star

That you stay

As you are"

Sung by Corinna Mura who also famously sang "The Song of the Rose" and "La Marseillaise" in "Casablanca" two years before singing this song in a classic movie.

More lyrics?

"You have my heart, but my heart wonders..."

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, marcar said:

ung by Corinna Mura who also famously sang "The Song of the Rose" and "La Marseillaise" in "Casablanca" two years before singing this song in a classic movie.

Here's another non-lyrical hint. The movie that this song is featured in cashed in on the success of "Casablanca" and has the same director and much of the same cast including Humphrey Bogart, Claude Rains, Peter Lorre, Sidney Greenstreet, etc. And the song is a love song repeated three times, I think, in the film, once by Mura, once at the piano by Bogart's love interest, and once heard by the lovers' from a balcony as an unknown male voice sings it in the street.

Someday I'll Meet You Again--Passage to Marseille (without all the hints, I would've never guessed this one)

Yes, Shutoo you are right. I watched this movie for the first time the other night as part of the SOTM Charles Boyer airing and it was quite good. Altho you can see them straining to repeat the success of "Casablanca" and that can never happen: the old "can't catch lightning in a bottle" saying. Anyway, this song repeated throughout the movie and it seemed they were trying to recapture the "As Time Goes By" success, but this song isn't quite as good, altho it is a pretty song. It stuck in my head...

Your thread.

8 hours ago, shutoo said:

Maybe it's more than the earth

Shiny and silvery blue

"It's A Grand Night For Singing" from the 1945 version of "State Fair".

Does it seems that people dressed differently for fairs in 1945, as opposed to today?

12 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Does it seems that people dressed differently for fairs in 1945, as opposed to today?

I think it's fair to say we dress far more casually for everything now :D 

Your thread!

Here's one that shouldn't be too difficult.

Never tap your toe in June to an organ grinder’s tune. 

Men who pick up rusty pins marry girls with double chins. 

Three on one match isn’t good, make a circle, knock on wood. 

On the sidewalk, don’t relax, never, never step on cracks. 

Superstition Song sung by Doris Day in the movie "Lucky Me" (1954).

Thanks Miles, and thanks for the clip it's great. I wasn't familiar with the movie, but you piqued my curiosity.

Next: "You lie awake and think about the girl (in the movie it's "the boy" instead)

And never, ever think of counting sheep."

7 hours ago, marcar said:

Thanks Miles, and thanks for the clip it's great. I wasn't familiar with the movie, but you piqued my curiosity.

Next: "You lie awake and think about the girl (in the movie it's "the boy" instead)

And never, ever think of counting sheep."

That is one of Frank Sinatra's favorite songs - - In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning.

Just remembered--I have the cassette --they used it in Sleepless in Seattle.

Yes, that's the song. It was sung by Carly Simon in "Sleepless in Seattle" (1993), written by David Mann and Bob Hilliard. Love this song...she did a decent version, but Sinatra's the best.

Your thread, Princess.