Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Conrad Brooks 1931-2017

3 posts in this topic

Conrad Brooks (January 3, 1931 - December 6, 2017) - B-movie actor with a cult following due to his appearances in several Grade-Z cinematic catastrophes, including Glen or Glenda (1953), Bride of the Monster (1955), Night of the Ghouls (1959), The Beast of Yucca Flats (1961), and most infamously in Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959). Brooks parlayed his roles in these films into convention appearances and bit roles in many low budget genre films from the 1980's through the 2000's, with such outlandish titles as Curse of the Queerwolf (1988), Test Tube Teens from the Year 2000 (1994), Blood Slaves of the Vampire Werewolf (1996), and Terror of the Giant Tentacle (2013) among many others. He was depicted in Tim Burton's 1994 film Ed Wood, played by Brent Hinkley.

Brooks (left) with Bela Lugosi

Conrad-Brooks-with-Bela-Lugosi-600x310.j

conrad_brooks.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I like the tagline for Curse of the Queerwolf: "Even a wrist that is strong and firm and holds up straight by day, may become limp when the moon is full and the queerwolf comes your way!"

I am bowing in respect to anyone who was in the immortal classic, "Glen or Glenda"! I try to rewatch it every year or so, just to enjoy the profundity of the lines spoken by Bela.

It's been a while though since I've rewatched all the films in the Ed Wood boxed set, which I bought years ago in its original faux pink angora displayer. Was Conrad one of the policemen who knocked over the cardboard headstone in the cemetery scene? Loved that part of the film, and also Ed's use of a shower curtain for the cockpit doorway in the plane scene.

Thanks, Lawrence for the update and so sad to see another Wood player make his final appearance on earthly shores. RIP, Conrad!