Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

Memorable One Shot Deals - Actors/Actresses Only Co-Starred Once

33 posts in this topic

They left an impression upon you, but they only worked together the one time.

Here is one of my favourites:

Claude Rains as an amusingly effeminate Prince John and Basil Rathbone as a struttingly macho Sir Guy of Gisbourne in The Adventures of Robin Hood. Their characterizations were so contrasting yet they shared a moral corruption and ruthlessness which united them and made them memorable.

Rains remained a Warners contract player for a number of years while Rathbone would work at a number of different studios but not, for the most part, back at Warners during Rains's period there. That's a shame, but their work together in this one film lives on.

melville-cooper-rathbone-and-rains.jpg

Any movie one shot deals that you love?

The Philadelphia Story was the only film that James Stewart and Katharine Hepburn starred in together....did they not like each other?

While not a classic, Up the River was the only teaming of Spencer Tracy and Humphrey Bogart....though I understand Tracy was supposed to play Fredric March's role in The Desperate Hours but he and Bogey couldn't agree on who got top billing.

Ginger Rogers & Henry Fonda are so perfectly matched in TALES FROM MANHATTAN. It's a shame they did not get a chance to make a full rom-com together. Their segment in this portmanteau is a highlight of the film.

Screen shot 2017-12-07 at 11.02.33 AM.png

Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea in Ride The High Country. Two stars who were around for over 30 years before being paired together.

• Like 3

I really enjoyed Edward G. Robinson and James Cagney together in Smart Money (1931), and wish they had made more together.

• Like 1

Yes! I absolutely agree with this! In fact I really really REALLY wish we could have had a movie with Edward G., Jimmy AND Bogey all in one film together....now that would have been a dynamite combo!

3 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Rathbone & Rains were also in Prince and the Pauper and the Sea Hawk. 

I only wish Rathbone had been in those films, particularly The Sea Hawk.

Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman.  I believe Casablanca is their only pairing.  Their two very different personas made an interesting pairing.

Bogart and Katharine Hepburn in The African Queen were such a fun pairing--two very strong personalities interacting with one another.

Bogart and Errol Flynn only really had one pairing together in Virginia City, unless you count Bogart appearing as himself in Thank Your Lucky Stars or Bogart providing the voice of Flynn's gangster impression in Never Say Goodbye.  While Bogart wasn't great in Virginia City (accents were not his forte), I would have liked to have seen Errol join Bogart in some hardbroiled gangster or noir film.

Cary Grant and Ann Sheridan in I Was a Male War Bride.  Grant and Sheridan's snarky personalities were fun to watch in this film. 

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe these two Brits only got together once and made one of the best tearjerkers ever...

random-harvest.jpg

(...would've been nice to have seen 'em star together a few more times, wouldn't it)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These two greats of the American cinema only starred together once in...

desperate_hours_ver2_xlg.jpg

And THEN of course, the soon to become known as "The King of Cool" here...

giphy.gif

...only co-starred but once with...

...wait for it...

giphy.gif

(...sorry Tom, just couldn't resist...betcha knew that was comin' with the way I set that up though, didn't ya...the "wait for it" gave it away, huh) ;)

Since DUSTIN HOFFMAN and GENE HACKMAN were long time old buddies and at times, both "powerhouse" box office draws, it's a shame that RUNAWAY JURY is the only movie I can think of in which they worked together.

And maybe they did at one point, but I can't think of any movie in which JOHN GARFIELD and Bogey, OR Cagney ever did together.  If they did, please fill me in.  But that would be beside the point of this discussion.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

They were one of the most strikingly beautiful of all screen pairings, but they also had a lovely screen chemistry as a fairy tale couple in this memorable adaption of the Anthony Hope novel. How could the expression "Ruritanian romance" possibly have better representatives than these two?

Ronald Colman and Madeleine Carroll in Selznick's splendid Prisoner of Zenda (1937).

ronald-colman-prisonerofzenda-best-300x2

It's a shame that another vehicle couldn't have reunited these two actors. Then again, perhaps it's just as well it didn't happen. Difficult to envision that the results of a second film would have been quite so enchanting as this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And maybe they did at one point, but I can't think of any movie in which JOHN GARFIELD and Bogey, OR Cagney ever did together.  If they did, please fill me in.  But that would be beside the point of this discussion.

Sepiatone

John Garfield never worked with Bogey or Cagney, which is a shame because I think a pairing with either or both actors would have had such great cinema potential.

Scarecrow, a 1970's flick was the only time that Al Pacino and Gene Hackman starred in a movie together.

For me, that pairing would be Conrad Veidt and Vivien Leigh. They only starred together in Dark Journey, but they had great chemistry, despite their age differences.

image.png.b24ce1ccb13fb156302e3e342da04c0f.png

Fred Astaire and Ann Miller. They only danced together in one film (Easter Parade) and neither of the numbers were  tap dances!<_<

Absolutely love William Powell and Ginger Rogers in "Star of Midnight" (the best  -- IMHO -- of the "Thin Man" wannabees) and, wished they had re-teamed again.

• Like 1

Marilyn Monroe & Clark Gable/Montgomery Clift in The Misfits?

All delivered memorable performances in this film, despite it's troubled production & their own issues.

the-misfits_marilyn-monroe_clark-gable.j

• Like 1

19 hours ago, limey said:

Marilyn Monroe & Clark Gable/Montgomery Clift in The Misfits?

All delivered memorable performances in this film, despite it's troubled production & their own issues.

the-misfits_marilyn-monroe_clark-gable.j

Good film too. Sadly it would prove to be the swan song of both Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe.

20 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Good film too. Sadly it would prove to be the swan song of both Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe.

Has any film had so many cast members pass away so shortly after filming ended? Within less than a decade, I think Gable, Monroe, Clift, and Thelma Ritter would all be gone.

The only other film I can think of that had so many cast members pass away within such a short time is the ill-fated Conqueror film starring John Wayne as Genghis Kahn. 

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Has any film had so many cast members pass away so shortly after filming ended? Within less than a decade, I think Gable, Monroe, Clift, and Thelma Ritter would all be gone.

The only other film I can think of that had so many cast members pass away within such a short time is the ill-fated Conqueror film starring John Wayne as Genghis Kahn. 

The Whales of August,  with Davis, Gish,  and Price all dying fairly shortly after the film was released.  Only Ann Sothern lived beyond a decade.