Sepiatone

(Sigh!) Christmas Music

15 posts in this topic

Yeah, done a lot here, but as we know...

'Tis the season!  And this is but ONE of my favorites from my all-time favorite Christmas album.  Since 1957!

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I guess some years we're more in the Christmas spirit than others.  Anyway, a skating Snoopy somehow makes Joni Mitchell's beautiful song all the more poignant.  

• Like 2

Not being able to find a clip of it by them, this one, done on a recording I have by The Mormon Tabernacle Choir  became a favorite in recent years.  The story of how I came to acquire the recording is a long one and for another time.....

Sepiatone

• Like 1

how about the worst Christmas song used in a film? gotta be Hooray for Santa Claus from Santa Claus Conquers the Martians: (song starts about 1:20)

I have to practice a lot to learn the standard Christmas songs in keys that people can sing.   The good thing is with the Internet one can transpose a song from the standard key (mostly C for Christmas songs),  into another key.  Because I need those lead sheets, since I can't transpose 'on the fly'  (unless it is a very slow ballad).

Back in '89 I was the Santa at Detroit's Greektown TRAPPER'S ALLEY shopping center.  They had a group of those carolers in Victorian era costumes wandering around and they came by and asked "Santa" what Christmas song he'd like to hear.  I requested "The Wassail Song", one of my favorites you can hear on that Fred Waring clip I posted up there.  But sadly, they sang the words to the tune of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen".   :(

Sepiatone

Here's a Christmas song, an original,that never really gets played anywhere.  And it's kinda nice......

Sepiatone

On 12/15/2017 at 1:38 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I have to practice a lot to learn the standard Christmas songs in keys that people can sing.   The good thing is with the Internet one can transpose a song from the standard key (mostly C for Christmas songs),  into another key.  Because I need those lead sheets, since I can't transpose 'on the fly'  (unless it is a very slow ballad).

That just reminded me of something I tried almost 30 years ago(eep!).

Possessing a still rather new camcorder (remember them?) I went around the typically huge Christmas Eve gathering at a brother in law's house with something in mind.....

I'd walk up to a group of twenty-somethings and say, "Quick.  Sing your favorite Christmas song!"   There'd be some hesitation, quick discussion and finally they'd all sing the same Christmas song in unison.

I tried the same thing with a small group of 40 and over guys and gals and got the same thing.  Looks of wonder and quick discussion and then all singing the same song.

So then I closed in on a group of kids, the oldest probably around 5 or 6, and made the same request, "Quick!  Sing your favorite Christmas song!"

Instantly, six kids started singing six different  songs, all in seemingly six different keys!  EXACTLY what I was after! :D  Funny that it took kids that young to understand something that simple,  whereas it totally escaped the "grown-ups". ;)  

Sepiatone

OK....NOW I'll bore you all with the saga of how I acquired the recording of "A Musicological Journey Through The 12 Days Of Christmas".

Back around late 2013 I was driving to the store in December of that year, with the car radio on the only station featuring classical music in my region.  Not catching it at the beginning, I recognized the song, but noticed each "day" was done in a different musical style.  When I reached the store, I sat in the car waiting to hear the announcer come back on and tell what he had just played.

He told the name of the piece and mentioned it was by The Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  So, once back home, I came to the PC and looked it up.  It was featured on an LP titled "This Is Christmas" and the CD was out of circulation.  In other words, not a copy could be bought anywhere, unless I wished to bother with eBay, which I usually avoid.

So, one day, in March of the following year, we were at a thrift shop(my wife loves browsing through those) and waiting at the front counter I noticed their small tupperware bins of used CDs.  For the Hell of it, I went through them and WHOA!  THERE IT WAS!  "This Is Christmas" by The Mormon Tabernacle.  Quickly, I checked inside the jewel case to make sure the correct CD was inside( often they're not) and all was right.  :wub:

I'll confess now that I DID check out eBay, and the only copy someone had up for sale was going for $20!  But the thrift store only wanted 80 cents.  SOOOooo...... ;) 

It WAS a Merry Christmas. :)

Sepiatone