Sign in to follow this  
yanceycravat

Any news regarding what TCM is showing on the 13th?

41 posts in this topic

I don't believe TCM has aired RO's interview with Rod Steiger since it was first broadcast. (Or else in a very, very long time.)

I'm hoping it's going to be some real rarities, movies on our collective wish lists or perhaps some throwback interstitials.

Also, tomorrow I believe is a Fathom events screening of GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER. Wonder if that could be a tie in.

I like the suspense of it all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Also, tomorrow I believe is a Fathom events screening of GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER. Wonder if that could be a tie in.

I like the suspense of it all.

https://www.loc.gov/programs/national-film-preservation-board/film-registry/complete-national-film-registry-listing/

The 2017 National Film Registry list just came out; could TCM be doing some sort of tie-in? (Guess Who's Coming to Dinner is one of the honorees.) Maybe a run-down of this year's inductees, combined with RO interstials for those titles that have screened on TCM?

• Thanks 1

TCM has announced on Twitter that tonight will be a special presentation of 2017 inductees into the National Film Registry, including screenings of ACE IN THE HOLE (1951), WANDA (1970), HE WHO GETS SLAPPED (1924) and BOULEVARD NIGHTS (1979). The 8:00 EST film will be the 2011 documentary THESE AMAZING SHADOWS, which chronicles the history of the National Film Registry. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

TCM has announced on Twitter that tonight will be a special presentation of 2017 inductees into the National Film Registry, including screenings of ACE IN THE HOLE (1951), WANDA (1970), HE WHO GETS SLAPPED (1924) and BOULEVARD NIGHTS (1979). The 8:00 EST film will be the 2011 documentary THESE AMAZING SHADOWS, which chronicles the history of the National Film Registry. 

I can also report that Carla Hayden, of the Library of Congress, will be joining frequent TCM contributor Leonard Maltin on-air to discuss the selections for 2017.

1 hour ago, Barton_Keyes said:

Thanks Barton. Do we know what order these films will be shown? Is it the order you have them listed?

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks Barton. Do we know what order these films will be shown? Is it the order you have them listed?

No idea in what order the films will be shown. We'll find out tonight. But they're starting with the documentary on the film registry. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

He Who Gets Slapped is listed as airing at 2.30 AM (presumably EST Dec 14) on the program article TCM has published.

I've yet to discover equivalent pages for the other listed films.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, limey said:

He Who Gets Slapped is listed as airing at 2.30 AM (presumably EST Dec 14) on the program article TCM has published.

I've yet to discover equivalent pages for the other listed films.

It would be nice to know what times the other films are airing.

Hmm.  Interesting.  I had the whole evening set up to record because of the suspense factor of not knowing what was scheduled.  Ace in the Hole was really good, I wouldn't mind having that on my DVR.  I've wanted to see Wanda since I listened to the "You Must Remember This" podcast about Barbara Loden last year.  I'd never heard of He Who Gets Slapped but I looked it up and it is a silent movie with Lon Chaney, Norma Shearer and John Gilbert. I also hadn't heard of Boulevard Nights, reading the synopsis, this film sounds less interesting to me.  I like the Hidden Shadows documentary.  I have seen this before.  It is especially interesting when they show the lengths they go through to restore individual frames of film.

I've seen some of tonight's movies and I am so glad they've been chosen for the National Film Registry.  Ace in the Hole is one of Billy Wilder's best and Kirk Douglas is just terrific (Happy 101st, dude).  Not a big hit when released but it has grown in appreciation over the years.  I like that a small, independent production like Wanda and Barbara Loden is getting recognition.  You don't always need a big budget, overpaid "stars" and gimmickry to make a fine movie.  He Who Gets Slapped is entertaining with a great cast and about the only time you'll see that much of Norma's legs.  Norma is really starting to come into her own as an actress here.  John and Lon are two seasoned pros who always deliver. 

• Like 1

In one hour, join Leonard Maltin and the United States Librarian of Congress, Carla Hayden, for a discussion about the 2017 additions to the National Film Registry.

Image may contain: 2 people, people sitting

Well, Polly called it. I checked the schedule on my phone at work early in the afternoon and saw that tonight's schedule had been posted (I have no idea what my password is, so I can't post on the message boards on my phone. I have that info saved on my laptop at home). 

Alas, I guess The Big Carnival (pretty sure that was the title Billy Wilder preferred?) is the only one I'm going to watch. I may well be in bed by the time Wanda starts and definitely by the time any of the others start.