Debra Johnson

Any suggestions for Nazi movies?

51 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2018 at 8:03 PM, SatInYourLap said:

No mention of All Through The Night (1941), an hilarious, Hitchcockian send up to the Third Reich and one of my favourite Humphrey Bogart films.

Fine film starring some fine German actors in Conrad Veidt,  Peter Lorre, and Kaaren Verne.   

Also features a 24 year old Jackie Gleason.   

If it's available for home video, look for "Inside the Third Reich," which was an acclaimed 1982 ABC miniseries. It stars Rutger Hauer as Albert Speer (1905-1981) -- Adolf Hitler's chief archiect and Nazi Germany's Minister of Armaments from 1942 to 1945,  Sir Derek Jacobi, who appeared as Hitler, earned a Primetime Emmy nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or a Special. The miniseries won Emmys for Outstanding Directing in a Limited Series or a Special (Marvin J. Chomsky) and Outstanding Achievement in Film Sound Editing. The television production was based on -- and took its title from -- Speer's 1969 published memoir.

Inside the Third Reich

Then there's "The Young Lions" (1958), the only film featuring Marlon Brando and Montgomery Clift -- although they barely share a scene together. Based on Irwin Shaw's 1948 novel about soldiers in World War II, the film also marked a pivotal career move for Dean Martin in his first screen success since breaking up with his comedy partner Jerry Lewis two years earlier. Shaw reportedly disliked the movie because Brando's character, a Nazi officer named Christian Diestl, was made more sympathetic. The film's director was Edward Dmytryk ("Crossfire"), who previously worked with Clift on "Raintree County" (1957).

Related image

On 12/12/2017 at 9:04 AM, Eric Whitten said:

Downfall is a beautiful German film that explores the experiences of the war from Hitler's point of view. It weirdly humanizes him in a compelling way. The acting is incredible. If you want something that stretches your thoughts, check this one out.

downfall21_1502.jpg

Not sure if you still come to the board, Eric, but I had picked up this movie based on your recommendation and I thought it was terrific:  well-made, with great acting, and I learned more about that period in history.  Hitler is still the epitome of evil, of course, but it was fascinating to see that time from his perspective (as interpreted by the filmmakers).

• Like 1

On 12/8/2017 at 1:15 PM, Debra Johnson said:

Recently I watched "The Man I Married" and am now watching "The Mortal Storm" with Robert Young and James Stewart.  I find it interesting to see the Nazi movement through the eyes of Nazi supporters.  Does anyone have any suggestions for movies similar to these on this topic.  I don't want to see actual "war" movies, just movies that shows how families acted during these times.

I saw "Gentleman's Agreement" many years ago and enjoyed it as well.

If you want to see an interesting film, and can find a copy of it, I recommend Le Corbeau. It was a film made in Vichy France about poison pen letters. It's not necessarily about Nazis themselves, but really gives insight into the type of climate Nazi controlled Europe was in at the time. 

There is 'The Enemy of Women', 'Hitler's Madman', 'Hangmen Also Die', 'The Silver Fleet', and 'Arthropod'.

I remember seeing a film on TCM about an American Jewish young woman who goes to Europe in the 1930's to be an opera singer.  She's captured by the Nazis after the outbreak of the war.  Anybody remember that one and know what the title was?

6 hours ago, karlofffan said:

I remember seeing a film on TCM about an American Jewish young woman who goes to Europe in the 1930's to be an opera singer.  She's captured by the Nazis after the outbreak of the war.  Anybody remember that one and know what the title was?

That sounds like "Address Unknown" (http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/3699/Address-Unknown/) which is entertaining, with a good cast and very stylish, though like most of the mid1940s movies dealing with Nazis the melodrama seems a little bit out of tune in the light of the reality subsequently revealed to us.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brrrcold said:

That sounds like "Address Unknown" (http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/3699/Address-Unknown/) which is entertaining, with a good cast and very stylish, though like most of the mid1940s movies dealing with Nazis the melodrama seems a little bit out of tune in the light of the reality subsequently revealed to us.

Yes, I think that's it.  

little-known film written and directed by Sam Fuller.

VERBOTEN! RKO Radio Pictures, 1958. James Best, Susan Cummings, Tom Pittman, Paul Dubov.

---------I'll try to think of some others.

• Like 1

Ah! Here's some others. Pardon me if they've already been mentioned, or if they don't quite fit the specs.

'Town Without Pity'. A fine little flick with Kirk Douglas as a JAG defending three US soldiers from assaulting a German fraulein.

'A Foreign Affair' with Jean Arthur, actually one of my favorite Billy Wilder comedies.

'The Big Lift' with Monty Clift.

Jon Voight in 'The End of the Game',

Jon Voight in 'The Odessa File'

'The Pedestrian' written, starring, and directed by Maximillian Schell.

'The Night Porter' --sensational shocker with Dirk Bogarde & Charlotte Rampling

...but really, all this is chicken feed. Why not go for actual German films from a German filmmaker? Look no further than Rainer Werner Fassbinder.

• Like 1

For a pre-war view, look for SO ENDS OUR NIGHT (1941), directed by John Cromwell and starring Frederic March, Margaret Sullavan, Glenn Ford. Almost never screened, but worth watching for ...

For a post-war view, look for GERMANY YEAR ZERO, directed by Roberto Rossellini. It's been shown on TCM. It is the director's follow-up to ROME, OPEN CITY and PAISAN.

vincent sherman's UNDERGROUND (1941) has everything this sort of movie needs!

(from the imdb.com WEBPAGE:)

• A World War II Hollywood propaganda film detailing the dark underside of Nazism and the Third Reich set between two brothers, Kurt and Erik Franken, whom are SS officers in the Nazi party. Kurt learns and exposes the evils of the system to Erik and tries to convince him of the immoral stance that marches under the symbol of the swastika.

We see the family dynamics---the proud soldier who doesn't think about his victims in the war.

The sensitive brother who runs an underground "cell."

And there are great scenes of the "cell" at work.

Stanley Kubrick's unproduced screenplay 'The German Lieutenant' is a superbly written war movie as told from the German side.

A must see:

István Szabó's "Mephisto" (1981) with a knockout performance by the genius Klaus Maria Brandauer.

Also, another dark film:

Luchino Visconti's "The Damned" (1969)

Ack! I've seen 'Mephisto'. Unnerving film; not for the least of which reason is that lead actor. He is creepy (at least he is, in that flick). I can't abide the side of him with that crazy-looking, smirking, mug of his.

Amazing Klaus Maria Brandauer is immensely versatile.  Can play a bond villain as well as a romantic lead. He is a master and big favorite of mine.  In "Mephisto" he is creepy in his metamorphosis of a role, I grant you that.  I implore you to explore his many other creations. 

6 minutes ago, Movieyana said:

Amazing Klaus Maria Brandauer is immensely versatile.  Can play a bond villain as well as a romantic lead. He is a master and big favorite of mine.  In "Mephisto" he is creepy in his metamorphosis of a role, I grant you that.  I implore you to explore his many other creations. 

Most of us *Oscar pundits were absolutely certain he'd win s. actor for 1985's *OUT OIF AFRICA ($94m.)>( (strong 3 & 1/2) too?> He deserved the *GOLDEN BOY though, but then 77yr old HOLLYWOOD legend *DON AMECXHE upset him in COCCON instead

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:22 PM, EugeniaH said:

Not sure if you still come to the board, Eric, but I had picked up this movie based on your recommendation and I thought it was terrific:  well-made, with great acting, and I learned more about that period in history.  Hitler is still the epitome of evil, of course, but it was fascinating to see that time from his perspective (as interpreted by the filmmakers).

I voted for him in My "Alt *OSCARS" for Best Leading Actor here!  *Jamie Foxx in Ray was superb, but for my money$ Ganz was the all-time most accurate HITLER here!  Runner-Up: *Hopkins winning an EMMY in THE BUNKER  *Alec Guiinness was all wrong in his take on it from '73 though

There is a great HBO movie called "Conspiracy" (2001) with Kenneth Branagh, Colin Firth, and Brendan Coyle (from Downton Abby). It's on HBO Go all the time and deals with the planning of the Final Solution. 

• Like 1

:)

late Mon., 10-29

4:15 AM (ET)                (Again....WHY are these premieres @ such dopey hours?!) :(
B/W - 95 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis: after the end of World War II, a German scientist (Dana Andrews) starts to thaw out a dozen Nazi soldiers who have been kept alive in suspended animation.
DirHerbert J. Leder CastDana Andrews , Anna Palk , Philip Gilbert .

"..... Reviews were generally awful, although Variety deemed it "a skillfully contrived, clinically ghoulish pic that should keep the young set riveted to their seats... May revolt adults. Faint-hearted parents should be advised to stay comfortably at home watching tv."

see TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/24768/Frozen-Dead-The/articles.html

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

:)

late Mon., 10-29

4:15 AM (ET)                (Again....WHY are these premieres @ such dopey hours?!) :(
B/W - 95 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis: after the end of World War II, a German scientist (Dana Andrews) starts to thaw out a dozen Nazi soldiers who have been kept alive in suspended animation.
DirHerbert J. Leder CastDana Andrews , Anna Palk , Philip Gilbert .

"..... Reviews were generally awful, although Variety deemed it "a skillfully contrived, clinically ghoulish pic that should keep the young set riveted to their seats... May revolt adults. Faint-hearted parents should be advised to stay comfortably at home watching tv."

see TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/24768/Frozen-Dead-The/articles.html

This is what that plot reminds me of. :lol: