Debra Johnson

Any suggestions for Nazi movies?

31 posts in this topic

Recently I watched "The Man I Married" and am now watching "The Mortal Storm" with Robert Young and James Stewart.  I find it interesting to see the Nazi movement through the eyes of Nazi supporters.  Does anyone have any suggestions for movies similar to these on this topic.  I don't want to see actual "war" movies, just movies that shows how families acted during these times.

I saw "Gentleman's Agreement" many years ago and enjoyed it as well.

• Like 1

You might also like 1942's NAZI AGENT, Debra.

The great Conrad Veidt plays dual roles in it...twin brothers, with one of them very similar to his Major Strasser role in CASABLANCA , and the other being strongly against everything the Third Reich stood for.

(...it's a pretty good film, all in all)

• Like 1

Downfall is a beautiful German film that explores the experiences of the war from Hitler's point of view. It weirdly humanizes him in a compelling way. The acting is incredible. If you want something that stretches your thoughts, check this one out.

downfall21_1502.jpg

Other super ones are:

HANGMEN ALSO DIE!

the COURAGEOUS HEART OF HANNAH SENDLER (tv-special)

Actually, the Nazis made the very best version of: TITANIC [1943] (out on dvd!)

MV5BMTU2Njg4MDgxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzE4MjYyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Great one I just watched---ALONE IN BERLIN.

a German couple (Emma Thompson, Brendan Gleeson) wage a private war against Nazi Germany by leaving notes telling the "truth" randomly in Berlin.

A true story, based on the book EVERY MAN DIES ALONE, by Fallada.

• Like 1

Check out the Dutch film The Assault. Here's what IMDB says: A Dutch doctor, haunted by grueling childhood memories of World War II, struggles to find peace as he spends his life looking for answers about the tragic night that shaped him.

The film won a Best Foreign Film Oscar. It's not really about Nazi supporters, just people trying to survive in Nazi-occupied Holland, but you might find it interesting.

Schindler's List gave me new insight into the psychological consequences of ghettoization and the progressive dehumanization of the Jews, but it's a heavy trip. I'm glad I've seen it. I don't know if I could handle it a second time.

Funny thing about SCHINDLER'S LIST.

I've watched it a lot, one reason being it's a stunning use of black and white film. By ANY measure, it's gorgeous.

Another really fun thing is watching BEN KINGSLEY "nearly" steal the movie - his character is wonderful, and that's in a crowd of wonderful characters.

But the THRILL of SCHINDLER'S LIST is that it is a parable of Christ, and not really about Jewish people at all.

Schindler is of course the "Christ-figure", who strides through the story performing a series of miracles and pointing to the Christian faith as redemption for ANYONE, caring even for the miserable Camp Commandant.

ANYONE can imitate Christ, the story seems to say----approached with the right spirit, the worst evils can be swept aside with courage and faith and simple love.

1)Visually, without insulting Jewish sensiblities (we hope), Schindler, in one of the last scenes, towers over his "flock" of saved people as they all say goodbye

2)A Nazi, trying to execute a man in the factory, finds his gun (and his assistant's gun) simply will not fire.

3)Schindler plucks Ben Kingsley off a train to a concentration camp at the last minute

4)Schindler uses a hose to spray water on another "doomed" train and it's inhabitants, even being helped by nearby soldiers, to give them a drink of water.

5)Schindler negotiates with the commandant of Auschwitz to return his female workers who have been mistakenly sent there....a scene reminiscent of going down to Hell to bring back souls taken by the devil.  In the Catholic tradition, this is what Christ did just after he died on the Cross---he travelled to "Limbo" to free deserving souls so that they could join him in heaven. Before his death on the Cross, there was no way of entering heaven. Two Church traditions celebrate this miracle. On Holy Saturday (between Good Friday and Easter Sunday) there is no "light" lit on the Catholic Church altar, symbolizing Christ's absence, while he is down in Hell. In the apse of St. Mark's Cathedral in Venice, the ceiling mosaic shows a miscellany of KEYS - because these are the keys Christ used to free the deserving souls from Hell.

MV5BMjA3ODQxNjA0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTk3OTE3._V1_.jpg

• Thanks 2

*"SCHINDLER'S LIST" WILL ALWAYS STAND ALONE, TRUST ME!

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:04 PM, Eric Whitten said:

Downfall is a beautiful German film that explores the experiences of the war from Hitler's point of view. It weirdly humanizes him in a compelling way. The acting is incredible. If you want something that stretches your thoughts, check this one out.

downfall21_1502.jpg

(NOTE: as many on here & a lot more elsewhere I have compiled in my ever growing movie files-(est: 1982-) "ALTERNATE OSCARS" or "THE OSCARS VS. "THE ORACLE" AWARDS   all dating back to inception of real *Academy awards in 1927-28, thing is-(like aythoir Danny Peary of same aboive tile & is in dire need of a revised edition by the way)'

MY BEST ACTOR "ALTERNATE" WINNER FOR 2004 WAS GANZ INB TGHIS, THEE MNOIST ACCURATE OF ALL ADOLPH HITLER'S YET ON SCREEN & EVEN OVER WINNER JAMIUE FOX in ":Ray" THAT YEAR TOO!

& on that note *Duvall was utterly magnificent as Joseph Stalin in a tv movie & *Maximilian  Schell won the EMMY for it as well, as Lenin. If this HBO film had been theatrical *Robert easily woulda'; taken home a 2nd Best Actor *Oscar for it!!!

It's a fact that Stalin murdered many, many, more people then Hitler ever did too!

5 minutes ago, spence said:

NOTE: as many on here & a lot more elsewhere I have compiled in my ever growing movie files-(est: 1982-) "ALTERNATE OSCARS" or "THE OSCARS VS. "THE ORACLE" AWARDS   all dating back to inception of real *Academy awards in 1927-28, thing is-(like aythoir Danny Peary of same aboive tile & is in dire need of a revised edition by the way)'

MY BEST ACTOR "ALTERNATE" WINNER FOR 2004 WAS GANZ INB THIS, THEE MOST ACCURATE OF ALL ADOLPH HITLER'S YET,  ON SCREEN & EVEN OVER WINNER JAMIUE FOX in ":Ray" THAT YEAR TOO!

s probably the all-time most hated man!

*A. Guiness-(miscast), *Hopkins also magnificent & won an EMMY in TV's "The Bunker" & many more

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:15 PM, Debra Johnson said:

Recently I watched "The Man I Married" and am now watching "The Mortal Storm" with Robert Young and James Stewart.  I find it interesting to see the Nazi movement through the eyes of Nazi supporters.  Does anyone have any suggestions for movies similar to these on this topic.  I don't want to see actual "war" movies, just movies that shows how families acted during these times.

I saw "Gentleman's Agreement" many years ago and enjoyed it as well.

See same yrs superb "CROSSFIRE"

• Like 1

The only Nazi in a movie I can handle is Otto Preminger's incredibly funny portrayal in STALAG 17 '53.
Second to '42's screwball comedy TO BE OR NOT TO BE with Jack Benny/Carole Lombard.

What about JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG '61? And I lurve GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT despite wooden Peck.

12 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

I liked GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT but I think CROSSFIRE is better.

I believe that is the general consensus around these parts (as well as mine). 

Crossfire is more gritty and something just doesn't sit right with me related to the Dorothy McGuire character (e.g. her 'turnaround' at the end looks forced to me).  

Haven't seen CROSSFIRE, but I just watched GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT and quite enjoyed it.

What's with the 'wooden' label Peck gets? I thought he was brilliant in here.

Re: wooden Peck

Sorry, there's just a few actors I have a hard time believing in movies; Peck, Cooper, Wayne...just can't warm up to them. Sometimes it works in their favor when the material demands it.

Sometimes I think it's their voices, sometimes I think it's body language.
Their stiff style seems to work better for me in comedies, maybe they loosen up - for example- Cary Grant.

Your votes-

which is better? JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG  (Montgomery Clift) or

NUREMBERG (starring Alec Baldwin)

Both (IMHO) are fantastic, but the most interesting "lesson" one is the Baldwin tv-movie, because it concentrates on the Hermann Goering* character.

*(Brian Cox is fantastic in this role!)

JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG simply tries to cover too much territory.

I don't remember movies on the exact topic; however I wrote about war films last year. There were many WWII films I talked about. I am sharing them below; maybe you will find the one you have been looking for.

"The Man with the Iron Heart"
"Their Finest"
"The Zookeeper’s Wife"

No mention of All Through The Night (1941), an hilarious, Hitchcockian send up to the Third Reich and one of my favourite Humphrey Bogart films.

• Like 2

Aimee & Jaguar (1999).  This foreign language film is about a love affair between the wife of a Nazi officer and a Jewish woman.  This film stayed with me long after I had seen it.  It's an extraordinary picture. 

It features a heavy dose of British actors, but the 1967 World War II drama "The Night of the Generals" is the story of the search for a Nazi general suspected of being a serial killer in Warsaw. Omar Sharif plays the German military intelligence officer investigating the case. Peter O'Toole, Donald Pleasence (Ernst Stavro Blofeld in "You Only Live Twice") and Charles Grey (Blofeld in "Diamonds Are Forever") are the three suspects. Directed by Anatole Litvak, the drama also stars Sir Tom Courtenay, Joanna Pettet, Philippe Noiret, Coral Browne and Christopher Plummer. It was the penultimate film for Litvak, whose credits included "Confessions of a Nazi Spy" (1939), "All This, and Heaven Too" (1940), "Sorry, Wrong Number" (1948)  and "The Snake Pit" (1948).

Image result for the night of the generals images