speedracer5

FEBRUARY 2018 SCHEDULE IS UP!

73 posts in this topic

The Sorrow and the Pity is on the 5th...in fact, the whole day and night of Documentary nominees and winners is a rare treat.

I haven't seen The Sound Barrier (8th).

Immortal Love (1961) 13th...I haven't seen this Japanese movie.

And that's it...I've seen everything else that month. :( 

31 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Nice, the first week isn't working for me for some reason though.

I'm thinking that they're also featuring films nominated for some of these awards, because I know that Caged! did not win for Best Actress (as Eleanor Parker was up against winner Judy Holliday for Born Yesterday) and Picnic did not win best picture. I'm glad they opened this up to nominees in addition to the winners--even though, either way, with the Oscar month, there is only a finite amount of films that can be selected.

2/1

This day seems to be dedicated to winners of "Best Song." I've seen most of these films, but I'm planning on recording:

The Strip.  Though I'm not a big fan of Mickey Rooney, I like jazz music and I like that Louis Armstrong is in this movie.

2/2

This day is "Best Original Score." I want to record Limelight.  It's one of Chaplin's films that I haven't seen.  His post-Modern Times films are definitely different, not sure what to think of them.  I wasn't really a fan of The Great Dictator.  However, this film sounds interesting, especially because Buster Keaton is also in this film. 

2/4

This is "Best Cinematography Day." I'm planning on recording The Black Narcissus.  I had this movie recorded and lost it.  I understand that Jack Cardiff's cinematography is gorgeous.  I'm not really one for movies about nuns, but this sounds like a film I need to watch.

2/5

"Best Documentary." I want to see Woodstock: The Director's Cut. I love concert documentaries and "live" concerts (even one from 1970). 

2/7

Best Visual Effects

Blithe Spirit. I had this movie recorded and lost it.  It sounds good and I liked Lean's other non-Lawrence of Arabia/Doctor Zhivago epics that I've seen. 

Cocoon. I've always wanted to see this movie.

(why do they keep trotting out Logan's Run? That movie was so boring!)

2/9

Best Costumes

Darling.  This film sounds interesting and I like the 1960s fashion.

2/10

Best Art Direction

The Red Shoes.  I've never seen this film but have heard a lot about it.

Moulin Rouge.  I've also always wanted to see this film and have never seen it.

2/11

Best Director

In Cold Blood.  I think this film may be scheduled in January too, as I remember writing about it; but if I forget to record it, I love True Crime.

Shanghai Express.  I've always wanted to see one of Marlene Dietrich's collaborations with Josef Von Sternberg.

2/13

Best Foreign Language Film

Umbrellas of Cherbourg.  I borrowed this movie from the library and had to return it before I was able to watch it

2/15 

Best Original Screenplay

Titanic.  I've always wanted to see this Barbara Stanwyck film

2/19

Best Supporting Actress

The Last Picture Show.  If I don't get a chance to watch the copy of this film that I currently have checked out from the library, at least I know that it'll be on TCM in the next couple of months.  I like Cloris Leachman and this film sounds really interesting. 

2/20

Best Supporting Actor

Come and Get It.  I've always wanted to see Frances Farmer in a movie.

Tortilla Flat.  A John Garfield film that I haven't seen and I like Steinbeck's stories.

All the President's Men.  This is another film I have checked out from the library and haven't watched yet.  I've always wanted to see this movie and I like newspaper movies.

2/28

Best Picture

Grand Illusion.  I've heard a lot about this French film and I've never seen it.  I'm not big on foreign films, but if I'm going to dip my toe into the foreign film water, I may as well start with famous foreign films.

3/2

I saw a film called Naughty Marietta and was intrigued by the title.  Then I saw it starred Jeannette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy.  Ick.  Can't stomach their singing. Hard Pass.

Not a ton of stuff that I'm interested in, but I'm sure I won't suffer from a shortage of things to watch.  Looking forward to seeing who will be SOTM in March.  I'm rooting for my girl Joan Blondell. 

17 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Nice, the first week isn't working for me for some reason though.

That's weird.  It's working for me.  Maybe play around with the calendar and it'll pop up?

Just now, Gershwin fan said:

Thanks. The link in your post works for me. Good films scheduled.

Good stuff. Seems that the evening of Jan 31st is dedicated to the Governor's Awards, presumably as a prelude to the 31 days run.

4 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I see that an Inconvenient Truth is scheduled. Pretty controversial documentary. :lol: 

Uh oh. Brace yourself for another round of political threads...

• Haha 1

I like how the Oscar stuff is only at night. It gives those of us who are sick of Oscar nominated and winning films for a month and three days straight a relief during the day.

However, I am disappointed they did not give birthday spotlights to the stars with February birthdays (Ann Sheridan, Robert Young) who are usually overlooked. This is the first year in a long time when that can finally happen, and I'm disappointed it didn't.

1 minute ago, jinsinna13 said:

I like how the Oscar stuff is only at night. It gives those of us who are sick of Oscar nominated and winning films for a month and three days straight a relief during the day.

However, I am disappointed they did not give birthday spotlights to the stars with February birthdays (Ann Sheridan, Robert Young) who are usually overlooked. This is the first year in a long time when that can finally happen, and I'm disappointed it didn't.

It isn't only at night, it is all day as well.

I'm already compiling my reading list and stocking up on books...........

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

It isn't only at night, it is all day as well.

Yes, that needs to change in 2019. Maybe if some bold soul(s) created a thread advocating for a reduction of Oscar-themed programming for evenings only in February so daytime can be set aside for birthday tributes...just a thought.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, limey said:

Good stuff. Seems that the evening of Jan 31st is dedicated to the Governor's Awards, presumably as a prelude to the 31 days run.

This occurs every year. They've been setting that night aside for the Governor's Awards for awhile now.

12 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, that needs to change in 2019. We need to create a thread advocating for a reduction of Oscar-themed programming for evenings only in February so daytime can be set aside for birthday tributes.

TopBilled, I agree with you. I figured the reason the February schedule was being held out for so long was because there were going to be major changes. I guess I was wrong.

Daytime spotlights should really be when birthday tributes occur. (There was an exception for Gregory Peck's 100th birthday, which was 24 hours, and for Danielle Darrieux earlier this year.) Let's hope next year Robert Young and Ann Sheridan get a daytime birthday tribute.

9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

This occurs every year. They've been setting that night aside for the Governor's Awards for awhile now.

I know, TB - I mostly mentioned it because Jan 31st acts as a prelude for the 31 days theme that follows (which I wouldn't have noticed from the posted weeklies, but for the site failing to display the 2018-02-01 weekly page properly).

7 minutes ago, jinsinna13 said:

TopBilled, I agree with you. I figured the reason the February schedule was being held out for so long was because there were going to be major changes. I guess I was wrong.

Daytime spotlights should really be when birthday tributes occur. (There was an exception for Gregory Peck's 100th birthday, which was 24 hours, and for Danielle Darrieux earlier this year.) Let's hope next year Robert Young and Ann Sheridan get a daytime birthday tribute.

It probably won't happen unless posters start to get vocal about it. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, limey said:

I know, TB - I mostly mentioned it because Jan 31st acts as a prelude for the 31 days theme that follows (which I wouldn't have noticed from the posted weeklies, but for the site failing to display the 2018-02-01 weekly page properly).

Thanks for explaining. :)

1 minute ago, skimpole said:

Kind of annoying that The Sorrow and the Pity and Seven Samurai are in the middle of the night.

That must be a time zone thing...The Sorrow and the Pity is on at 6:45 AM where I am...just the kind of thing for people to watch first thing in the morning!

I hope everyone noticed that the times were in Pacific Standard Time.  That's my timezone and the one that my TCM schedule defaults to.

I agree that Oscar month does show a lot of the films that I've seen at least once, if not multiple times. I don't have an issue with repeats, as I don't have problems watching the same film more than once (Hence why I've seen The Long, Long Trailer at least a hundred times, no exaggeration). But as I haven't seen everything under the sun, there are still plenty of things to watch.  Plus, there's always my trusty DVR to catch all the stuff on at inconvenient times, ::Cough:: ::Cough:: Noir Alley, I'm looking at you (7:00am on Sunday!).  I would never get to watch anything if it weren't for the DVR.  I think I have something like 145 films to watch and it's only 20% full! 

Plus, I have a billion of DVDs and then there's always the library if my insatiable appetite for classic film is not satisfied.  

At least February is a short month... 

• Like 1