Sepiatone

My Favorite Year

16 posts in this topic

Stayed up to watch it after BEING THERE last night.  Saw it lots of times and despite that I always manage to smile at all the funny parts( which are many), but STILL laugh out loud at the scene in which, when BENJIE brings Swann to his mother's home in Brooklyn for dinner and his Aunt shows up wearing her WEDDING GOWN.....

"Thanks. I only wore it once."   :lol:

And in passing, I'll also express the opinion that of all the actors capable of showing a bemused expression. O'Toole's is the BEST.

My only consternation is at one point, when Maltin is talking to the guest programmer, a man who I had NO IDEA as to who he was, he mentioned the man being in one of the "funniest TV shows" but failed to mention WHICH ONE!  I STILL have no idea who that guy was.  :angry:  I didn't catch the name when it was mentioned, so........ :huh:

Sepiatone

• Like 1

That was Matt Walsh, co-star of the Emmy-winning HBO comedy Veep. In 2016 and 2017, Walsh has been nominated for Emmys in the Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series category for his work on the show.

2 hours ago, Barton_Keyes said:

That was Matt Walsh, co-star of the Emmy-winning HBO comedy Veep. In 2016 and 2017, Walsh has been nominated for Emmys in the Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series category for his work on the show.

Thanks for the info because I also had no idea who that guy was.    Anyhow,  My Favorite Year is one of my Favorite post studio-era films.    Oh course the main reason being it's studio-era roots as explained by the hosts.

You nailed it, Sepia! A thoroughly enchanting film with O'Toole as usual giving a superlative performance in both its mostly comedic moments and in the more human emotionally dramatic bits too.

Great casting with people like Kazan and a plethora of great character actors bring the piece alive. I've seen it multiple times but did tune in a bit to watch some of the choice scenes. 

• Like 1

This thread started out with Being There and then seamlessly sachet'd in My Favorite Year though I see no connection. Not that it matters one little bit. Before clicking, I thought the thread title was going to ask us what our favorite year is, movie-wise. Say, 1939, for instance. 

You didn't see a connection because there was no "connection" except the mention that after BT I stuck around to watch "My Favorite Year".    

And as it seemed EVERYONE 'round these boards knew that movie was scheduled last night I didn't see HOW anyone could think this thread was about something else. :huh:

Well, no WONDER I didn't know who that guy was.  I don't have HBO, and I sorta resent Maltin's assumption that EVERYBODY does.

Sepiatone

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:11 AM, Sepiatone said:

Stayed up to watch it after BEING THERE last night.  Saw it lots of times and despite that I always manage to smile at all the funny parts( which are many), but STILL laugh out loud at the scene in which, when BENJIE brings Swann to his mother's home in Brooklyn for dinner and his Aunt shows up wearing her WEDDING GOWN.....

And in passing, I'll also express the opinion that of all the actors capable of showing a bemused expression. O'Toole's is the BEST.

My only consternation is at one point, when Maltin is talking to the guest programmer, a man who I had NO IDEA as to who he was, he mentioned the man being in one of the "funniest TV shows" but failed to mention WHICH ONE!  I STILL have no idea who that guy was.  :angry:  I didn't catch the name when it was mentioned, so........ :huh:

Sepiatone

Always thought "Being There" was simply brilliant on every level. & 1982's terrific "My Faviorite Year" was a rarity in that Johnny Carson actually liked it so much, he somewhat gave it a plug on "The Tonight Show"

Many are already aware it was based on Errol Flynn on TV's "Your Show of Shows"-(I think it was the title?)

Another of 0'Toole's record (0 & 8 *Oscar noms.)

15 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

You didn't see a connection because there was no "connection" except the mention that after BT I stuck around to watch "My Favorite Year".    

And as it seemed EVERYONE 'round these boards knew that movie was scheduled last night I didn't see HOW anyone could think this thread was about something else. :huh:

Well, no WONDER I didn't know who that guy was.  I don't have HBO, and I sorta resent Maltin's assumption that EVERYBODY does.

Sepiatone

To Sepiatone, was Maltin also a "GP"-("Guest Programmer") & if so, can you give me details on his 4 flix?

In the 1980's he wrote me back & with an ET logo-("Entertainment Tonight") on his top ten favorite movies>

*"Casablanca"

"The Maltese Falcon" (l94l version)

"Kane"

"Singin' in the Rain"

"The 39 Steps" (l935)

":Dumbo"

"His Girl Friday"

"A Night at the 0pera"

"King Kong" (33)

"modern Times" & "Swing Time" were his

& as for actors I know *Chaplin was his hero

& still has a marvelous site

Please let me know & I thank you

22 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Thanks for the info because I also had no idea who that guy was.    Anyhow,  My Favorite Year is one of my Favorite post studio-era films.    Oh course the main reason being it's studio-era roots as explained by the hosts.

& directed by actor Richard Benjamin too

I'm not sure if Maltin was ever a guest programmer, but I thought it was the guy me and JAMES didn't know who was the GP.  :wacko:

Sepiatone

On 12/12/2017 at 6:11 AM, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

That entire dinner scene is priceless...every time!

• Haha 1

I grew up watching live TV variety shows like Sid Caesar Your Show of Shows, Gary Moore with Carol Burnett,  Dinah Shore's Chevy Show and so many more.

My Favorite Year  really captures the spontaneity and  downright scary reality of these live shows. You never knew what was going to happen, what was going to go wrong  or  who was going to say or do the wrong thing in front of millions of live viewers.

You can still see some of that loose kind of improv and spontaneity on The Red Skelton shows.

As a kid what I liked the best were the live commercials where people performed the number honoring the sponsor with singing and dancing. Almost every show had a cigarette commercial sponsor and my favorite was Lucky Strikes with Dorothy Collins.

As a MGM buff, it was thrilling to see Adolph Green as regular actor playing a part that he probably so often played in Hollywood and on Broadway. He was responsible for so many, screenplays, books and lyrics of musicals like Singin' in the Rain, Bells Are Ringing and On the Town. It was interesting to see how somebody like him, who knew all the ins and outs of Show Business, would handle a role like that.

And Peter O'Toole, it's hard it's hard to imagine anyone else in that role. I watched Sid Caesar a lot and I don't remember ever seeing Errol Flynn. In fact I don't remember seeing any guest stars on the show, just his fantastic regulars surrounded by Imogene Coca.

I'm sure if Errol Flynn had been on, nearly every television set in America would have been watching at the time. There would have been tremendous pressure on him. Now It's hard to imagine the power that classic live television had over this country.

People who didn't have TV sets went to bars and restaurants to watch shows  or they went over to a friend's house. After TV came in it would  be a matter of time before the old Studios lost their megalomania hegemony.

• Like 2

Dorothy Collins, wow, haven't heard that name for awhile. Wasn't she a regular on Your Hit Parade? Though quite young, I was able to stay up for that program because it came on Friday. Had to stay up to listen to great hits like Skokian and The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane.

• Like 1

I have noticed some similarities between the movies "My Favorite Year" and "The Lost Weekend".

Both Peter O'Toole and Ray Milland hide liquor bottles in their coats and when O'Toole escapes the nightclub, the band plays "Somebody Stole My Gal".  When Ray Milland is thrown out of the nightclub in "The Lost Weekend", the band plays "Somebody Stole My Purse" to the same tune!

8 minutes ago, johnpressman said:

I have noticed some similarities between the movies "My Favorite Year" and "The Lost Weekend".

Both Peter O'Toole and Ray Milland hide liquor bottles in their coats and when O'Toole escapes the nightclub, the band plays "Somebody Stole My Gal".  When Ray Milland is thrown out of the nightclub in "The Lost Weekend", the band plays "Somebody Stole My Purse" to the same tune!

Great info and something I never noticed.    Of course I noticed all the Flynn and DeHavilland references but those were obvious to anyone that has seen films like The Adventure of Robin Hood.