Agatha and Jane

Movie with lady and dog

17 posts in this topic

Hi.. it’s Jane! I posted this movie a few weeks ago.... still hoping to find it! So I’m reposting it... I have a movie that I’ve been searching for a while now.. so let me tell you a little about it! Here we go..

its in the 1930s black and white..and this is the only scene I remember.. there’s a young lady laying on her bed and then she turns on her side where she sees her tiny brown dog and she sticks her tongue out and then the dog sticks it’s tongue out too..

and that’s it!! I hope someone can help me find this!! Thank you!!

I have tried to figure this one out as well without success. I have tried to do some online searching (more than I would care to admit), looking for screen shots in movies such as Dinner at Eight (thinking maybe there was a scene with Jean Harlow in bed with a little dog). I have also looked for screen shots of movies with Mae West (that sounds like the kind of scene she would do), Joan Blondell, Joan Crawford, pre-code Loretta Young, Barbara Stanwyck and so on. Perhaps if you could remember anything else about the movie at all, it would help.

• Like 1

Since you remember the dog somewhat more than the actress, this is a monumental task (unless someone here knows that scene!). You are going to have to take a list of 1930s actresses and search ( on Bing image search or some other search engine [just make sure you have the SafeSearch set to "moderate" or some other setting to avoid results you won't believe ), for example, "Irene Dunne with dog".

court_zpsuj83uhcm.gif

It is going to be an uphill battle.

The search process you described is pretty much what I did. I found lots of pictures of 1930's actresses with dogs, but none fit the scene described. Simply require more information.

• Like 1

You might be thinking of Night Nurse. Precode movie with Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Blondell. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Jane here.... I’m replying to my movie with lady and dog.. thread.. I remember a knew detail that may or may not be helpful.... but it’s how the scene was shot.... between the lady and the dog... the camera turns to the lady when she sticks her tongue out and then the camera turns to the dog when it sticks it’s tongue out... and it goes back and forth a few times.... it’s pretty cute.... hopefully this detail helps! Really hope to find this movie! 

Jane..

Have you tried "The Awful Truth" with Irene Dunne and Cary Grant starring Skippy (Mr. Smith in movie)? Same Skippy played Asta in Thin Man movies with Myrna Loy/Wm Powell. Both actresses could have done that scene well, and Skippy was an acomplished dog actor.

Skippy was also in "Bringing Up Baby." Can see Hepburn doing that as well.

5 minutes ago, AmyH said:

Have you tried "The Awful Truth" with Irene Dunne and Cary Grant starring Skippy (Mr. Smith in movie)? Same Skippy played Asta in Thin Man movies with Myrna Loy/Wm Powell. Both actresses could have done that scene well, and Skippy was an acomplished dog actor.

Note that Skippy retired in 1941 and therefore was in only the first 3 Thin Man films.   Other terriers played Asta in the last 3 films.

Thank you for your thoughts for my dog movie! Those are some of my favorite movies! But unfortunately none of them are my movie.... I don’t really feel that the dog in the movie is very famous.... and also the dog is little and Brown....very cute!.... still searching!.... 

thanks Jane..

Not to be a nit-picker, but if the movie was in black and white, how do you know that the dog was brown?

Anyway, one of the most talented dogs in movies was the dog that played Toto in "The Wizard Of Oz".  It was a female Cairn Terrier named Terry, and she was brown.  IMDB lists her as being in twenty-one movies, starting in 1934 with Shirley Temple and Ida Lupino, and ending in 1945 with Gloria Jean.  Here is the listing of her movies.  Maybe one of the titles will stand out in in your mind.

Filmography

Jump to: Actress | Archive footage
Hide HideActress (21 credits)
 1945Easy to Look at 
Toto (uncredited)
 1944The Heavenly Body 
Dog in Groomer's Tub (uncredited)
 1942George Washington Slept Here 
Dog (uncredited)
 1942Tortilla Flat 
Little Paelito (uncredited)
 1942Twin Beds 
Dog (uncredited)
 1942Rings on Her Fingers 
Dog (uncredited)
 1941The Chocolate Soldier 
Dog (uncredited)
 1940Cinderella's Feller (Short) 
Rex the Dog (uncredited)
 1940Son of the Navy 
Toto (uncredited)
 1940The Ghost Comes Home 
Dog in Pet Shop (uncredited)
 1940Calling Philo Vance 
McTavish (uncredited)
 1939Bad Little Angel 
Rex - the Dog (uncredited)
 1939The Women 
Fighting Dog at Beauty Shop (uncredited)
 1939The Wizard of Oz 
Toto (as Toto)
 1938Stablemates 
Pet Dog (uncredited)
 1938Barefoot Boy 
Toto
 1938The Buccaneer 
Landlubber (uncredited)
 1936Fury 
Rainbow - Joe's Dog (uncredited)
 1935The Dark Angel 
Dog (uncredited)
 1934Bright Eyes 
Rags - Loop's Dog (uncredited)
 1934Ready for Love 
Dog (uncredited)

• Like 1

Thanks for the list of terry’s films.... unfortunately she isn’t the dog I recall being in the movie....as I said I don’t feel that this dog is very famous... and also Knowing that the movie is black and white the little dog appears to be brown....thanks for the reply though....keep searching!!.... 

Jane....

On 12/16/2017 at 3:01 AM, metamorpheus said:

Can you recall the color of the young lady's hair?

haha really?! the movie is in black and white mate! I consider this as a nice joke! 😅

• Haha 1