Sign in to follow this  
NickAndNora34

Hollywood Running Out of Ideas?

89 posts in this topic

It is my personal opinion that Hollywood has been churning out remakes and sequels/prequels a lot lately... Do you think there will ever come a time when Hollywood ceases to exist? For me, I don't entirely think so; people (including me) are more than willing to pay to go see remakes and sequels. I think movie studios are banking on the strength and driving force of nostalgia. E.g. Jurassic World 1-2, Star Wars 1-75, among others. What's next? A CGI version of E.T. in which the kids deliver the lovable alien to his ship via Uber instead of bikes? I may be talking cynically at this point... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's any consolation, people have been saying this type of thing since the 1920's, when many of the big releases were remakes of films from 1910's, and these 20's films would be remade again in the 30's, etc. etc.

We are in a time of many remakes, sequels, reboots, whatever, but that's largely audience driven. Original screenplays, when they get made, seem to fail at the box office more often than the remakes do. This is coupled with the disappearance of the mid-budget drama/thriller, and all that's left is big-budget sequels, lowest-common-denominator comedies, animated family fare, and micro-budget indies with niche appeal. There are usually a handful of quality, non-genre films around the end of the year during awards season, but otherwise it's more of the above-mentioned, non-demanding crowd pleasers.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truth is that the movie industry anymore is so frustrating. It's been this way for a while, while the classic era was the best, the 70s,80s, and 90s mainstream films had more snap and joy and craftsmanship than quite a few the major studio films today. The major studios do focus on sequels and remakes and the independent studios make almost all the modest scale comedies and dramas that are, at least to me, of the most interest. The problem is though that many of these intriguing films rarely are distributed the way then should be. Whereas many blockbusters play at least 2,500 screens, many of the most interesting films play on 1,500 or less. That's a problem.  On Friday, I saw a new movie I really loved, a British drama called Their Finest, which was a combination of tragic romance, a film about the making of movies, and morale raising via patriotic films in the 1940s. Its a film I think many TCM fans would really like...but it was not a success going to only 330 theatres at its height. The best major studio comedy  of the decade, the British film About Time, only played at a little over 1,000 screens, and while its gaining a cult following, Universal did it no favors in 2013.Such films I think have to be nutured, but first people need to hear about them.

I don't think even with this frustration of mine over lack of originality and the web companies  that Hollywood will go away, they will continue on, maybe in a changed way, but nothing will completely stop them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

If it's any consolation, people have been saying this type of thing since the 1920's, when many of the big releases were remakes of films from 1910's, and these 20's films would be remade again in the 30's, etc. etc.

We are in a time of many remakes, sequels, reboots, whatever, but that's largely audience driven. Original screenplays, when they get made, seem to fail at the box office more often than the remakes do. This is coupled with the disappearance of the mid-budget drama/thriller, and all that's left is big-budget sequels, lowest-common-denominator comedies, animated family fare, and micro-budget indies with niche appeal. There are usually a handful of quality, non-genre films around the end of the year during awards season, but otherwise it's more of the above-mentioned, non-demanding crowd pleasers.

The mid-budget film is something I miss greatly. I think that the 90s were the last boom time for them, and it is a pleasure to look back at that decade (to say nothing of earlier decades too such as the luminous 30s and 40s) and find so many great sounding films. I wish there were more of them now, its left a gaping hole. And, if anything, it is true today  that the last few months of the year, awards season, always produces the choicest, most thoughtful,  most entertaining, and most pleasing films.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found myself leaning towards watching movies from the 1970s/1980s/1990s that I either have or haven't seen, over the (dare I say it?) drivel that's been in the theaters for the past couple months or so. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

It is my personal opinion that Hollywood has been churning out remakes and sequels/prequels a lot lately... Do you think there will ever come a time when Hollywood ceases to exist? For me, I don't entirely think so; people (including me) are more than willing to pay to go see remakes and sequels. I think movie studios are banking on the strength and driving force of nostalgia. E.g. Jurassic World 1-2, Star Wars 1-75, among others. What's next? A CGI version of E.T. in which the kids deliver the lovable alien to his ship via Uber instead of bikes? I may be talking cynically at this point... 

If you're going to do the most cliche'd movie whine in the world, could you at least, for OUR benefit, attach it to whatever specific grudge prompted you to post it at this particular time?


I'm....vaguely....theorizing this was in response to the new Star Wars movie, am I within a reasonable ballpark?  :wacko:  I mean, can you throw the rest of us a lifeline, here?

Bubble gum firing giant robot?  Yep, brain cells are decreasing.

It was supposed to be the villain's "80's" motif of weapons, because he's a grown-up sitcom child-actor, and everybody all watched Full-House sitcoms in the 80's, hehehehehh.  :rolleyes:

So, if you mean the screenwriters, yeah, pretty much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hollywood's an established business - so they're going to tend to follow the path that offers the largest, safest return on investment - now, in the past & in the future. Fresher, or just different ideas will still break surface from time to time, when the planets align with right ideas & funding, or when something in the indies or from overseas makes a big enough disturbance in the force, to be considered worth taking a punt on.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've long wondered what they're gonna do when they run out of old TV sitcoms, comic books, and obscure children's books( that they promote as "beloved children's classics" ) that NOBODY has ever heard of let alone READ to their children, to make movies out of?  And now add VIDEO GAMES to that group. 

And TOYS too.  Is the next "big epic" going to be LEGO VS THE TINKER TOY PEOPLE?  Or a remake of THE BLOB using PLAY-DOH and calling  it PLAY-DOH INVASION?

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I think this rant has been coming on for a while now. Yes, I am a huge fan of Disney and the Star Wars franchise, but from watching all the new movie previews, I'm not sure if 2018 will be a better year for movies than 2017. None of the movies I saw previews for yesterday, seemed like they are going to pan out to be interesting or even worth seeing, but that could be my opinion. Also, the dystopian genre has been becoming significantly more popular within the past couple years. What is that oft-repeated phrase, "art reflects life?" Perhaps these films do serve a greater purpose: an attempt to warn people about the possible, potential outcomes of their actions? 

I think Disney is definitely guilty of just churning out movies some of the time these days. BFG? That movie bombed. There just wasn't a demand for it. Same with their upcoming A Wrinkle in Time. Is anyone writing to Disney and asking for these particular movies to be made? If so, I'd like to speak with them. I guess the bottom line is, Disney has money and they're going to do what they want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I've long wondered what they're gonna do when they run out of old TV sitcoms, comic books, and obscure children's books( that they promote as "beloved children's classics" ) that NOBODY has ever heard of let alone READ to their children, to make movies out of?  And now add VIDEO GAMES to that group. 

And TOYS too.  Is the next "big epic" going to be LEGO VS THE TINKER TOY PEOPLE?  Or a remake of THE BLOB using PLAY-DOH and calling  it PLAY-DOH INVASION?

Sepiatone

Passing comet explodes in atmosphere above Play-Doh factory contaminating it with alien material.  Out comes a morphing monster.

cenco01.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I've long wondered what they're gonna do when they run out of old TV sitcoms, comic books, and obscure children's books( that they promote as "beloved children's classics" ) that NOBODY has ever heard of let alone READ to their children, to make movies out of?  And now add VIDEO GAMES to that group. 

Just because YOU never read Ferdinand...

Although yes, the Other Guys (ie. Dreamworks, Fox, Sony) are in the business of selling their movies to parents, not kids--because kids don't buy tickets, and can't drive to the shopping mall plex--so if you can make the big publisher-estate negotiation deal to grab the title of, say, Peter Rabbit (just wait till you gittaloada that one...) or Paddington, who cares what the heck you do with it, so long as you can sell those tie-ins at Barnes & Noble on a shelf next to the real thing?

And wait, what "videogame movie"?  We haven't had one since Assassin's Creed, and nobody even noticed that one existed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, EricJ said:

And wait, what "videogame movie"?  We haven't had one since Assassin's Creed, and nobody even noticed that one existed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitman:_Agent_47

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil:_The_Final_Chapter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_Raider_(2018_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampage_(2018_film)

To name a few just from the last 3 years, and 2 coming next year. None have been good, and the two upcoming ones don't look good, either. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Ratchet & Clank (which came out 2015 or 2016) is another one. I believe I heard some kind of live action Pokémon is coming out in a couple years. I’m surprised nobody has made a Zelda movie. That one seems like it could actually be decent with the right storyline. Maybe Nintendo is scared after the whole Super Mario debacle from the early 90s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speedracer5 said:

Ratchet & Clank (which came out 2015 or 2016) is another one. I believe I heard some kind of live action Pokémon is coming out in a couple years. I’m surprised nobody has made a Zelda movie. That one seems like it could actually be decent with the right storyline. Maybe Nintendo is scared after the whole Super Mario debacle from the early 90s. 

Yeah, I was just reading about that Pokemon movie...Detective Pikachu. Ryan Reynolds is the possible star. It sounds silly, but I don't know much about Pokemon. It came along after my time, and I felt no desire to delve into its "mysteries".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I was just reading about that Pokemon movie...Detective Pikachu. Ryan Reynolds is the possible star. It sounds silly, but I don't know much about Pokemon. It came along after my time, and I felt no desire to delve into its "mysteries".

Pokémon is a Japanese game originally. Then it was released on Nintendo Game Boy in the early to mid 90s and became a phenomenon. Pokémon means “pocket monster.” It’s basically a bunch of creatures who are trained by humans who through battling other trainers, can help their Pokémon gain experience which in turn helps the Pokémon evolve into stronger forms of their type of Pokémon. Pikachu is probably the most popular of the Pokémon.

Im not sure how making pikachu a human detective makes any sense, but I guess we’ll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is it would be some kind of live action/animation combo platter like Roger Rabbit?

Yeah, Pokemon is waaay after my time, but it appears if you're under 30, it was probably an incredibly big deal in your life at some point. And it keeps coming back. Witness that brief but insane obsession with Pokemon Go just last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Pokémon is a Japanese game originally. Then it was released on Nintendo Game Boy in the early to mid 90s and became a phenomenon. Pokémon means “pocket monster.” It’s basically a bunch of creatures who are trained by humans who through battling other trainers, can help their Pokémon gain experience which in turn helps the Pokémon evolve into stronger forms of their type of Pokémon. Pikachu is probably the most popular of the Pokémon.

Im not sure how making pikachu a human detective makes any sense, but I guess we’ll see. 

Wasn't it a card game originally? I seem to recall my mother, who was an elementary school teacher back in the 1990's, talking about kids always bringing the cards to school. It sounded like an anime version of Magic: The Gathering, which was a card-game version of Dungeons & Dragons...the nerd lineage goes way back. I know there have been multiple TV shows and movies, as well as video games, of Pokemon, and my nephew was playing that newest mobile phone version last year or the year before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm probably the last person to be a source on this, but I think the animated series preceded the card game? Or maybe they were tied together. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Wasn't it a card game originally? I seem to recall my mother, who was an elementary school teacher back in the 1990's, talking about kids always bringing the cards to school. It sounded like an anime version of Magic: The Gathering, which was a card-game version of Dungeons & Dragons...the nerd lineage goes way back. I know there have been multiple TV shows and movies, as well as video games, of Pokemon, and my nephew was playing that newest mobile phone version last year or the year before.

This is the "Easter egg hunt" game that made the news last year.  Various groups of strangers would be found congregating (trespassing) on private property, just because their cell phones all led them there.  The game used the GPS capabilities of the cell phone to geo-locate each user.  Each participant would then aimlessly wander around while looking at the cell phone and actually see the Pokemon character in the back alley next to Mr. Smith's trash can.  So as "collatoral damage" of the game being played, you would get a number of people crowded around in some very odd places they would normally never be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm probably the last person to be a source on this, but I think the animated series preceded the card game? Or maybe they were tied together. 

Looking into it, it appears the video game was first, in 1996, followed by the card game that same year, and the cartoon show starting early 1997. It was apparently designed to be a synergistic cash-cow of cross-promotion and merchandising. It seems to have worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

My guess is it would be some kind of live action/animation combo platter like Roger Rabbit?

Yeah, Pokemon is waaay after my time, but it appears if you're under 30, it was probably an incredibly big deal in your life at some point. And it keeps coming back. Witness that brief but insane obsession with Pokemon Go just last year.

I’m 33. The games came out about 20 years ago, so I’m guessing that most of the original Pokémon fans are 30+. Like most things that are popular, there are new generations of fans. 

 

Pokemon Go was fun. It was a good form of exercise. Though the people who were playing it while driving and trespassing on private property are the ones who took it too far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend has an elementary age son who was playing Pokemon Go constantly while simultaneously riding his bicycle, despite my friend constantly begging/ordering him not to!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us