Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Can't Miss Movie Bits

29 posts in this topic

Even though I've seen some movies scads of times, and even own the darn thing on DVD, if one with a favorite scene is on, I might just have to watch a minute or two of the film, to enjoy a great bit.

One film that for me has a musical number I simply cannot miss and can watch over and over is Donald O'Connor's "Make'Em Laugh" sequence in "Singin' in the Rain". That whole number from start to finish and then the incredible bit where he runs up the walls, is just so great, I never miss it and watched it again when the film played the other day on TCM.

I also dig the bit in "Some Like It Hot" when Jack Lemmon arrives in drag, only to be picked up by  world's oldest bachelor, Joe E. Brown. The bits about his "Ma-ma" crack me up. I also often try to catch the segment of Joan Crawford screaming "Nooooooooooo wire hangers" in "Mommy Dearest" whenever it's on tv.

Any such sequences that you always try to catch if the film is scheduled?

Well, to give a painfully obvious example, the actual performance of "Singin' in the Rain" from said movie I always stop down for, even though I've probably seen the movie itself over 20 times.

• Like 1

Even though I have the film on DVD, I never fail to catch White Heat on TCM when it's on, if only to catch that infamous line of Cody Jarrett's (do I really need to quote it) before the fireball of an ending.

Top of the world, Ma?

Yes, quite a sendoff but that bit where Cagney flips out in the prison cafeteria is great too, doncha think? Thanks, Beth!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Top of the world, Ma?

Yes, quite a sendoff but that bit where Cagney flips out in the prison cafeteria is great too, doncha think? Thanks, Beth!

Yes, that was also a great scene, and I understand that Cagney improvised on that...no one knew he was going to do that, the stunned face on Fallon (Edmond O'Brien) was genuine.

• Like 1

When David Niven first meets Conductor 71 from that realm starved of technicolor in A Matter of Life & Death.

When Fred Astaire starts dancing with a hat rack to the tick of the metronome in Royal Wedding. Actually pretty much whenever he starts a tapping in any film sequence (including the later ceiling one)...

Anytime Claude Rains enters the frame, or starts speaking, but especially his shocked gambling speech designed to close down Rick's bar in Casablanca, followed breathlessly by the appearance & his polite acceptance of his winnings!

• Like 1

Merry Andrew - the night of the engagement party at the circus where Danny Kaye dances up a storm. Salud!

• Like 1

Some favorite movie bits of mine:  I love the scenes in WHITE HEAT already mentioned and I also love the "need a little air?" scene which also shows how cold blooded Cody is.

I love the scene in PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES where John Candy is driving crazy and Steve Martin wakes up from a nap, notices the car is down to its shell and envisions Candy as the devil.  Another good Steve Martin  scene is his drunk driving test in THE MAN WITH TWO BRAINS.  The test involves near-impossible tasks like walking in a handstand in a straight line.  "Damn, your drunk tests are hard," Steve says.

One of my favorite scenes in one of my favorite movies:  when Addison Dewitt tells Eve Harrington exactly how it's going to be and he's on to her in ALL ABOUT EVE.

There's so many.  These are just a few that come to mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChristineHoard said:

Some favorite movie bits of mine:  I love the scenes in WHITE HEAT already mentioned and I also love the "need a little air?" scene which also shows how cold blooded Cody is.

I love the scene in PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES where John Candy is driving crazy and Steve Martin wakes up from a nap, notices the car is down to its shell and envisions Candy as the devil.  Another good Steve Martin  scene is his drunk driving test in THE MAN WITH TWO BRAINS.  The test involves near-impossible tasks like walking in a handstand in a straight line.  "Damn, your drunk tests are hard," Steve says.

One of my favorite scenes in one of my favorite movies:  when Addison Dewitt tells Eve Harrington exactly how it's going to be and he's on to her in ALL ABOUT EVE.

PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES has always been one of my favorites, great teaming of Steve Martin and John Candy, and I think anyone who has had to travel can relate in one way or another.

My favorite scene is when Martin wakes up in Candy's arms. Candy says his hand is between two pillows and Martin yells "Those aren't pillow!" LOL Talk about awkward! Love that scene.

Also loved that scene in All About Eve you mentioned. Everyone in Eve is great but George Sanders all but stole the show in here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

I love Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  There's the classic "those aren't pillows!" scene and then Steve Martin's classic f-bomb laden meltdown at the car rental counter; but my favorite scene is when John Candy is dancing to Ray Charles' "Mess Around" song and ends up getting his arms stuck on the seat.  Later, I believe right before the devil scene, is when John Candy enters the freeway from the wrong direction and the couple on the other side starts yelling "YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY. YOU'RE GOING TO KILL SOMEONE!" and John Candy and Steve Martin decide that the couple is obviously drunk. 

I also love the scene in All About Eve when Addison exposes all of Eve's lies and essentially blackmails her.  I also love the scene at the end with Phoebe and Addison.  Addison knows that Eve is about to get the same treatment from Phoebe that Margo got from Eve.  What goes around comes around. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES has always been one of my favorites, great teaming of Steve Martin and John Candy, and I think anyone who has had to travel can relate in one way or another.

My favorite scene is when Martin wakes up in Candy's arms. Candy says his hand is between two pillows and Martin yells "Those aren't pillow!" LOL Talk about awkward! Love that scene.

"See that Bears game last week?"

"Yeah, hell of a game. Hell of a game"

"Bears got a great team this year.  They're gonna go all the way." 

I also love the music that plays when Steve Martin and John Candy check into the motel room and Martin notices that there is only one bed.  That music is hilarious.

• Like 1

My can't miss bits:

The Birdcage.  This movie is gold from beginning to end.  I have the DVD, but whenever I catch it on TV, I always seem to catch it at the same part.  My favorite part is the dinner with Senator Keely's family and the "Coleman Family."  Nathan Lane, dressed as "Mother Coleman" steals the whole scene.  

Looking at the bowls:

"What interesting china! Why, it looks like young men playing leap frog? Is it Greek?"

"I have no idea! I've never seen these bowls before." 

"It is Greek. Greek boys actually. Uh naked Greek boys." 

"And girls! Don't you have any girls on your bowl?" 

---

Singin' in the Rain.  I love this whole movie, but I love the whole dance scene between Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse in the "Broadway Melody" number.  I love Charisse's green flapper dress and I love the music that plays.

---

The Long, Long Trailer.  Okay, I've seen this movie a hundred times (no exaggeration), so I can recite it pretty much the entire way through; but I love the part when they get the trailer gets stuck in the mud, in the rain. Desi's trying to figure out how to level out the trailer (which, imo, a wimpy bottle jack doesn't seem like it'd be big enough to jack up that trailer. But what do I know?) and Lucy's trying to cook in a lopsided kitchen.  Later, Desi's passed out in his bed (the side that is leaning).  Lucy's bed is on the other side and she basically falls out of the bed each time she gets in.  One would ask why she doesn't share Desi's bed, but that wouldn't be proper for a married couple in 1954 to sleep in the same bed! (lol) Plus, I suppose it would deprive us of what follows.  Lucy takes one more leap onto her bed and at the same time, the jack gives out in the mud and Lucy goes flying out of the trailer, backwards, and falls into a four-foot deep mud puddle.  Desi staggers out of bed to the doorway, half asleep: "What's the matter honey? Can't you sleep?" And Lucy looks like she's going to murder him.

---

Meet Me in St. Louis.  If I only catch one part of this film, I have to watch Judy sing "The Trolley Song." That song is so much fun and the fact that Judy knocked it right out of the park in one take with barely any rehearsals makes it even more impressive.  I also love the part when Judy invites Tom Drake to her brother's party and decides she's going to get him to kiss her.  He of course, is such a dork and misses all of Judy's obvious hints that she wants him to kiss her.  He ends up telling her that she's "got a mighty strong grip for a girl" and that her perfume reminds him of his grandmother.  Real smooth Tom.  Way to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, like that "leapfrog" part in "The Birdcage" too.

And a LOT of scenes in PLANES, TRAINS and AUTOMOBILES;  The rental car desk scene already mentioned, and the others mentioned as well, plus Martin's rapid eye-blinking when being punched by that guy at the airport, just before getting picked up off the ground by his "package". 

And of course, y'all know my affinity for the "boot in the face" scene that JOHN WAYNE gives STROTHER MARTIN in "Liberty Valance". ;)

I'll probably come up with others as time passes...

Sepiatone

• Like 1

OK.  A little time passed.....

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES:

I've mentioned the scene in which Homer finally puts his arms around Wilma being a favorite of mine.

But there's another scene which, as a photographer, I really look forward to.  When Fred(Dana Andrews) is sitting in the nosecone of the B-17 in the scrapyard, there's a shot taken from behind him as he sits hunched over in the seat remembering the sounds of a mission.  The exposure GREGG TOLAND uses with Andrews silhouetted by the bright white light coming through the streaked, dusty clear plastic nose is flawless artistry and a shot I always wished to have an 8X10 of(or larger) for my living room wall.

IMMORTAL BELOVED:

While Beethoven( Gary Oldman) is standing onstage while the premier of his 9th is being played, he reminisces about his childhood.  His drunken Father returning home from a night at the pub, and a young, frightened Ludwig climbing out the window and running off, and then shown running through a field during the fourth movement's instrumental interlude, finally reaching a large pond where he lies on his back,floating on the water as the choir sings the movement's main theme and the camera, shooting from above, shows young Ludwig floating on the water which reflects the star filled sky thus surrounding the boy with them.  The camera pulls up, making the boy look smaller and smaller until he's no longer discernible from all the other stars in the water's reflection.  You could read a lot into what that might symbolize.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

The maestro taps his baton and the orchestra begins playing the overture to Verdi's Il Trovatore. Just as the first page of music is finished and the Maestro and the musicians turn the page, due to the rather strange insertion of a totally different song, , the orchestra then begins playing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", and whereupon two of the "newer" members of the orchestra, a trombone player and the pianist begin playing a game of catch within the orchestra pit. A man sporting a rather distinctive mustache then begins walking down the opera house's aisle and exclaims, "Peanuts?! Peanuts! Get your fresh roasted peanuts, folks!" while throwing bags of them at members of the audience.

(...yep, there's ya a scene in a particular favorite movie of mine that I'd watch just by itself, over and over and over again alright)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

The maestro taps his baton and the orchestra begins playing the overture to Verde's Il Trovatore. Just as the first page of music is finished and the Maestro and the rest musicians turn the page, due to the rather strange insertion of a totally different song, , the orchestra then begins playing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", and whereupon two of the "newer" members of the orchestra, a trombone player and the pianist begin playing a game of catch within the orchestra pit. A man sporting a rather distinctive mustache then begin walking down the opera house's aisle and exclaims, "Peanuts?! Peanuts! Get you fresh roasted peanuts, folks!" while throwing bags of them at members of the audience.

(...yep, there's ya a scene in a particular favorite movie of mine that I'd watch just by itself, over and over and over again alright)

I just watched that one again last week. :lol:

15 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I just watched that one again last week. :lol:

There's so many hilarious scenes in that entire film, isn't there Lawrence.

(...and besides the one part of the scene I just described, there are so many other bits within that one alone which are sure to make one laugh out loud)

OK.  Let's try another comic bit....

In THE MUSIC BOX(no guesswork here ;)  ) one of the many scenes that always gets me is when after Stan and Ollie finally get the player piano in the house, and out of the crate, which was totally destroyed by that ime, they proceed to try and clean up to the tempo of a march being played on the piano.  Stan and Ollie, picking up bits of debris simultaneously, march lively past one another and then drop the bits they were carrying to the floor.  They then march back to where each one started and pick up the same debris the other had just dropped on the floor, march back and return the stuff to where it was to begin with. They do this a few times before Ollie catches on to what's going on.  :lol:

Starts in here at the 2:00 mark.

• Like 1

Well I have to agree with all the above scenes including the reference to the wonderful George Sanders in "All About Even" but I admit I always wait breathlessly for three scenes in "Casablanca"..as stated previously George Rains accepting his winnings, Ingrid Bergman framed in that most beautiful white dress when she and Paul Henreid first walk into Ricks and that most fabulous of frames when Rick first sees Ingrid over Sam's head.  Everytime, everytime those are the scenes I wait for. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 8:33 PM, ChristineHoard said:

Oh, yeah, Addison DeWitt telling off Eve is a classic gotta see over and over! Thanks, Christine.

On 12/19/2017 at 1:09 AM, speedracer5 said:

My can't miss bits:

The Birdcage.  This movie is gold from beginning to end.  I have the DVD, but whenever I catch it on TV, I always seem to catch it at the same part.  My favorite part is the dinner with Senator Keely's family and the "Coleman Family."  Nathan Lane, dressed as "Mother Coleman" steals the whole scene.  

Looking at the bowls:

"What interesting china! Why, it looks like young men playing leap frog? Is it Greek?"

"I have no idea! I've never seen these bowls before." 

"It is Greek. Greek boys actually. Uh naked Greek boys." 

"And girls! Don't you have any girls on your bowl?" 

---

Singin' in the Rain.  I love this whole movie, but I love the whole dance scene between Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse in the "Broadway Melody" number.  I love Charisse's green flapper dress and I love the music that plays.

---

The Long, Long Trailer.  Okay, I've seen this movie a hundred times (no exaggeration), so I can recite it pretty much the entire way through; but I love the part when they get the trailer gets stuck in the mud, in the rain. Desi's trying to figure out how to level out the trailer (which, imo, a wimpy bottle jack doesn't seem like it'd be big enough to jack up that trailer. But what do I know?) and Lucy's trying to cook in a lopsided kitchen.  Later, Desi's passed out in his bed (the side that is leaning).  Lucy's bed is on the other side and she basically falls out of the bed each time she gets in.  One would ask why she doesn't share Desi's bed, but that wouldn't be proper for a married couple in 1954 to sleep in the same bed! (lol) Plus, I suppose it would deprive us of what follows.  Lucy takes one more leap onto her bed and at the same time, the jack gives out in the mud and Lucy goes flying out of the trailer, backwards, and falls into a four-foot deep mud puddle.  Desi staggers out of bed to the doorway, half asleep: "What's the matter honey? Can't you sleep?" And Lucy looks like she's going to murder him.

---

Meet Me in St. Louis.  If I only catch one part of this film, I have to watch Judy sing "The Trolley Song." That song is so much fun and the fact that Judy knocked it right out of the park in one take with barely any rehearsals makes it even more impressive.  I also love the part when Judy invites Tom Drake to her brother's party and decides she's going to get him to kiss her.  He of course, is such a dork and misses all of Judy's obvious hints that she wants him to kiss her.  He ends up telling her that she's "got a mighty strong grip for a girl" and that her perfume reminds him of his grandmother.  Real smooth Tom.  Way to go. 

Errol...sorry I was overtaken by your beauty! I mean Speed, yes that's a good one from MMISL. Depending on my mood, there are so many moments in that film to rewatch and often I go for the bit with Margaret and Judy doing "Under the Bamboo Tree". Besides the song being adorable, I like to watch the party participants like Tom Drake really seeming to enjoy watching and it seems so real and spontaneous, even like when those in the front have to move a bit to let Margaret continue her dancing. Wonderful movie in all its seasonal aspects and also fun to hear Tom Drake's beautiful voice.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame: I never tire of the scene where Charles Laughten sweeps down to rescue Maureen OHara (whatever happened to her "accomplice" the goat?) The music, the erupting cheers of the crowd, the looks on the faces and reactions of Thomas Mitchell and Edmund O'Brien always give me a chill.

• Like 1

Yeah, one doesn't often get to see a guy named Quasimodo, with only one functioning eye, swooping down from any bell towers, so I get your drift. Love that Laughton in anything. Thanks, Thenryb!

2 delightful scenes...

in White Heat cody remembers parker being in a car trunk and asks how he's doing...

"how ya doin' in there, parker"

it's stuffy in here. I need some air."

"stuffy uh? I'll give ya a little air."

;)

then in What about bob? when dr. marvin gets sprayed with mud from a passing vehicle...

"sonafabitchin' bob!":lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

2 delightful scenes...

in White Heat cody remembers parker being in a car trunk and asks how he's doing...

"how ya doin' in there, parker"

it's stuffy in here. I need some air."

"stuffy uh? I'll give ya a little air."

;)

Suppose Cody did him a favor, however nasty and cold blooded it was. I don't imagine suffocating to death in the trunk of a car would have been a very pleasant way to die.