Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

Disney's "Brave Little Tailor"

38 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Jlewis said:

I guess we need to get back to Mickey. Actually I liked the Donald Duck one from the fifties better.

view-master-b525.jpg

Wow! I had forgotten all about that reel. I got it for Christmas a long time ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jakeem said:

Wow! I had forgotten all about that reel. I got it for Christmas a long time ago.

You can tell it's vintage, says Flying Saucers instead of UFO's.  Don't have it but is advertised quite notably in the GAF brochures.:)

NOS or MINT Model D Focusing viewers are available but be prepared to pay dear. Even the ones with the missing logo tag is worth about $170.00! Intact logo with box increases value.

http://larrysbasement.com/product/l1017/

NOS will generally have the protective insert and folded brochure still in the original orange / black box.  Obtained mine in 2003, brochure said Revised Sept 1953.

These are the best viewers because not only can people with vision problems focus them with or without glasses but has X7 magnification compared to the standard X5.

One word of caution - the material is Bakelite which is fragile.

l1017-01.jpg

9 minutes ago, hamradio said:

NOS will generally have the protective insert and folded brochure still in the original orange / black box.  Obtained mine in 2003, brochure said Revised Sept 1953.

What a nice collection you've got! 

• Thanks 1

Got the Mousekateer reels today, what a beautiful red/white television camera.  Can't find a photo to post. (photo on cover sleeve don't do it justice)

Reels dated 1956.

(Reel A) posing with a cardboard Mickey is LAME!

On 12/20/2017 at 7:18 AM, jakeem said:

My favorite all-time Mickey Mouse cartoon is on TCM's Treasures from the Disney Vault series tonight. And I've never even seen it!

I should explain. When I was a kid, one of my favorite possessions was a GAF View Master (do they still make them?). Among the first 3-D reels I ever got were a tour of Disneyland and "Brave Little Tailor," in which sets out to catch a giant. I looked at the "Brave Little Tailor" reel so many times, it's always been the Mickey Mouse tale I've remembered most.

But I've never seen the actual 1938 cartoon (I guess it really has been in the Disney Vault all these years). 

By the way, Henry Fonda used to do TV commercials for the GAF View Master. The 1971 spot below features a young Jodie Foster and another popular TV kid from the decade.

I had the same ViewMaster in the 1980s, but mine was red with an orange lever.  I had a reel of Mickey, Donald and Goofy exploring a haunted house (I think) and meeting a ghost. 

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I had the same ViewMaster in the 1980s, but mine was red with an orange lever.  I had a reel of Mickey, Donald and Goofy exploring a haunted house (I think) and meeting a ghost. 

Oh, you mean Lonesome Ghosts--For some reason, that cartoon used to come with a lot of ViewMaster-esque projection/movie toys, back when 70's-80's Disney was trying to make us remember Mickey existed.  Also remember it from one of those turn-crank Fisher-Price Super-8-viewer movie-cartridge things (movies on cartridges?  WOW! :o)

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Oh, you mean Lonesome Ghosts--For some reason, that cartoon used to come with a lot of ViewMaster-esque projection/movie toys, back when 70's-80's Disney was trying to make us remember Mickey existed.  Also remember it from one of those turn-crank Fisher-Price Super-8-viewer movie-cartridge things (movies on cartridges?  WOW! :o)

Too bad you couldn't hear Goofy say his famous line: "I ain't a-scared of no ghosts."

Related image

Curious if anyone can answer "What happened with the "love affair" between TCM and Disney?"
It's ardor seems to have cooled significantly in recent months.
For the last few years TCM has offered ALL or practically all of the Disney Vault treasures for repeat viewing ON-DEMAND. All that seemed to have evaporated since this last June (2017).
Neither Sept nor this December offered a single Disney feature for availability ON-DEMAND???

It could be because Disney is preparing to launch its own streaming service in the aftermath of the acquisition of most Fox properties. You will see fewer -- if any -- Disney productions on Netflix, too.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, jakeem said:

Too bad you couldn't hear Goofy say his famous line: "I ain't a-scared of no ghosts."

Related image

OH yeah, jakeem! I remember this scene now.

(...but it was in the cartoon titled, ahem, "Donald Duck Soup", wasn't it?!)

;)

• Haha 1