Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

Disney's "Brave Little Tailor"

38 posts in this topic

My favorite all-time Mickey Mouse cartoon is on TCM's Treasures from the Disney Vault series tonight. And I've never even seen it!

Image result for the brave little tailor mickey mouse

I should explain. When I was a kid, one of my favorite possessions was a GAF View Master (do they still make them?). Among the first 3-D reels I ever got were a tour of Disneyland and "Brave Little Tailor," in which sets out to catch a giant. I looked at the "Brave Little Tailor" reel so many times, it's always been the Mickey Mouse tale I've remembered most.

But I've never seen the actual 1938 cartoon (I guess it really has been in the Disney Vault all these years). 

By the way, Henry Fonda used to do TV commercials for the GAF View Master. The 1971 spot below features a young Jodie Foster and another popular TV kid from the decade.

• Like 6

I definitely hope you enjoy this cartoon tonight, jakeem.  I remember it fondly from my childhood.  Just FYI, it's included as a bonus feature on Disney's Sword in the Stone DVD and Blu-ray releases, should you care to indulge.

I also used to love those View Masters (we had them in the late 80s/early 90s, don't know if they're still around, though).  Some of my favorite slides featured scenes and photographs from Disneyland.

28 minutes ago, Feego said:

I definitely hope you enjoy this cartoon tonight, jakeem.  I remember it fondly from my childhood.  Just FYI, it's included as a bonus feature on Disney's Sword in the Stone DVD and Blu-ray releases, should you care to indulge.

I also used to love those View Masters (we had them in the late 80s/early 90s, don't know if they're still around, though).  Some of my favorite slides featured scenes and photographs from Disneyland.

Thanks for the information! I just looked at amazon.com and the View Master apparently is still available -- and the "Brave Little Tailor" reel as well.

Product Details

8 hours ago, Feego said:

My grandparents had what might be called the original View Master, one of those stereoscopic devices for looking at two prints of the same photograph. You see Mr. Rogers demonstrating one in Being There. The photos were from maybe as far back as the 1800s. They were almost all black-and-white; a few of them were color-tinted. But as a child of the '70s, I had a View Master from a very young age. I told my grandparents things like, "I've got one of these already!" and "Yours don't have a clicker!"

I remember for maybe my eighth or ninth birthday getting a Talking View Master set that came in a giant cylindrical container. Somehow your View Master knew which set of slides you were putting into it and gave an audio version of the story as you advanced the frames. These were mostly or all Marvel Super-Heroes. I've forgotten if there was other stuff in it. I was particularly fascinated by the slide of Bruce Banner turning into the Hulk. If you closed one eye, his body was pink; if you closed the other, green. When you had both eyes open it had a double-color effect that blew me away. Such was the state of toy technology circa 1977.

When I was younger, I had a View Master viewer and a View Master projector.  It came in a large can (maybe about the size of a two gallon bucket?).  The projector was blue and was about the size of two Kleenex boxes side by side, or maybe more like a wide shoebox.  It had a 12v or 24v transformer in it and used a common automotive bulb with a bayonet base.  It wasn't that bright, I had to use it in complete darkness in order to see anything.  Also it only projected the left side of the stereo slides.

Almost exactly like this.  Except not as warped, as this website warps embedded images.  So unwarp it in your mind. (in general, all the embedded images should be a little wider)

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/view-master-projector-example-1.jpg

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/view-master-projector-example-2.jpg

I still have a standard red View Master viewer and about 20-30 or so View Master reels, mostly picked up from tourist destinations and tourist shops in history or science museums.  They usually came in packages of three or four.  When I was younger I had a bunch of the Disney reels as well as TV show reels.  Those seem to have come up missing.  Either that or I handed them down (which now that I think about it, I am sure I did).

Ah, yes.  VIEW MASTER.  Had one as a kid.  Heavy bakelite mutha, dropped  a dozen times and it didn't even crack.  Don't know whatever became of it.  By the time my kids were old enough to enjoy something like that the ones they made then were a flimsier plastic.

I had several different Disney reels.  But not "Brave Little Tailor".  But I like that 'toon too.

Sepiatone

Finally saw "Brave Little Tailor" and it brought back memories of my days with the View Master. And it's still my favorite Mickey Mouse cartoon. But I didn't know Minnie Mouse was in it. She must have been left out of the View Master reel.

By the way, have Minnie and Daisy Duck always been appendages to their animated boyfriends? Or did they ever have their own stories or comics? Even Donald Duck's Uncle Scrooge and nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie had their own series with "DuckTales."

Related image

There were some Daisy Duck comic books, but I think they may have been special editions rather than regular monthlies. Daisy had nieces April, May and June, the equivalent of Donald's nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie. I'm not sure about Minnie. But you're right: they were basically appendages to our heroes. The one I always wondered about was Goofy being paired sometimes with Clarabelle Cow. A cow and a dog?....Okay.

• Haha 1

Well, the only other "major" dog I recall was PLUTO, and I don't think Goofy swung that way. ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

DAMN!  Forgot to tune in to Sven last night.  AND the Red Wings' game!

After doing some quick shopping after being with my wife in the hospital all day yesterday, I went home, put the groceries away( thought I meant CHRISTMAS shopping, eh?) I fixed myself a quick dinner and played my DVD of IAWL and turned in early.

Sepiatone

I'm a Bugs Bunny man myself and the Mickey Mouse cartoon shorts, beautifully rendered as they were, especially the later ones, are clearly designed for kids.

Having said that, I really enjoyed Brave Little Tailor. That has to be one of the very best Mickeys.

But what a wimpy giant. He couldn't even break thread!

No reality whatsoever.

Wait a minute. What am I saying?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DougieB said:

A cow and a dog?....Okay.

Waaaay ahead of their time!

Image result for kermit and miss piggy gif

On 12/20/2017 at 10:18 AM, jakeem said:

My favorite all-time Mickey Mouse cartoon is on TCM's Treasures from the Disney Vault series tonight. And I've never even seen it!

I should explain. When I was a kid, one of my favorite possessions was a GAF View Master (do they still make them?). Among the first 3-D reels I ever got were a tour of Disneyland and "Brave Little Tailor," in which sets out to catch a giant. I looked at the "Brave Little Tailor" reel so many times, it's always been the Mickey Mouse tale I've remembered most.

But I've never seen the actual 1938 cartoon (I guess it really has been in the Disney Vault all these years). 

Ah, the 70's Ron Miller-era Disney:  When they wanted us to remember Mickey, Donald and Goofy, and then never actually SHOWED us any of the cartoons on TV, even when VHS was first invented.

Back then you had to either watch their 70's Mickey Mouse Club reboot, or maybe catch one being shown with the revival screenings of the animated classics.

And fortunately the ViewMaster was still around in its last days (mostly doing Disney, IMAX and Discovery Kids dinosaurs) when we got the newest generation hooked on them.  Those of us who grew up with ViewMaster were that much more tolerant about the days of 3DTV, and knew that you had to make sacrifices, even "wearing stupid glasses", if you wanted to see dimensional goodness.  B)

I remember for maybe my eighth or ninth birthday getting a Talking View Master set that came in a giant cylindrical container. Somehow your View Master knew which set of slides you were putting into it and gave an audio version of the story as you advanced the frames. These were mostly or all Marvel Super-Heroes. I've forgotten if there was other stuff in it. I was particularly fascinated by the slide of Bruce Banner turning into the Hulk. If you closed one eye, his body was pink; if you closed the other, green. When you had both eyes open it had a double-color effect that blew me away. Such was the state of toy technology circa 1977.

Had the regulars, had the projector, but for me, wishing for the Talking Viewmaster was like Ralphie wishing for the BB rifle, or showing the FAO Schwarz catalog to your parents. :( 

After we got the younger generation hooked with the Flimsy Green Discovery Kids model, I went back, got one for myself, and tried to track down all my old slides out of old toy bins and eBay.  Although I liked the Batman '66 one (the first Catwoman episode), my favorite was always a collection of real old 19th-cty. stereopticon portraits of Mark Twain, Robert E. Lee and Thomas Edison.  And a Washington DC tourism one we picked up on vacation.

12 hours ago, jakeem said:

By the way, have Minnie and Daisy Duck always been appendages to their animated boyfriends? Or did they ever have their own stories or comics? Even Donald Duck's Uncle Scrooge and nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie had their own series with "DuckTales."

Thanks to Disney Jr. Marketing, Minnie and Daisy have a series NOW, as they run their own designer bow shop, but in the cartoons, they were always the objects of our hero's attempt to go out on a date without disaster.

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2017 at 10:18 AM, jakeem said:

Image result for the brave little tailor mickey mouse

By the way, Henry Fonda used to do TV commercials for the GAF View Master. The 1971 spot below features a young Jodie Foster and another popular TV kid from the decade.

Lol! I have that , was my first set.

PKT-B678-V1-2.jpg

The reels / viewers that are made today (since the early 1980's) are a shadow of their heyday.:(

Can find a few good ones i.e.  Christopher Schneberger.

bffb473c2f4fdd101c1bf9d1da624ee2--los.jp

His best illusion is "A Case of Levitation".

Look ma, no legs!

Levitation-19.jpg

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Ah, the 70's Ron Miller-era Disney:  When they wanted us to remember Mickey, Donald and Goofy, and then never actually SHOWED us any of the cartoons on TV, even when VHS was first invented.

Back then you had to either watch their 70's Mickey Mouse Club reboot, or maybe catch one being shown with the revival screenings of the animated classics.

And fortunately the ViewMaster was still around in its last days (mostly doing Disney, IMAX and Discovery Kids dinosaurs) when we got the newest generation hooked on them.  Those of us who grew up with ViewMaster were that much more tolerant about the days of 3DTV, and knew that you had to make sacrifices, even "wearing stupid glasses", if you wanted to see dimensional goodness.  B)

Had the regulars, had the projector, but for me, wishing for the Talking Viewmaster was like Ralphie wishing for the BB rifle, or showing the FAO Schwarz catalog to your parents. :( 

After we got the younger generation hooked with the Flimsy Green Discovery Kids model, I went back, got one for myself, and tried to track down all my old slides out of old toy bins and eBay.  Although I liked the Batman '66 one (the first Catwoman episode), my favorite was always a collection of real old 19th-cty. stereopticon portraits of Mark Twain, Robert E. Lee and Thomas Edison.  And a Washington DC tourism one we picked up on vacation.

Thanks to Disney Jr. Marketing, Minnie and Daisy have a series NOW, as they run their own designer bow shop, but in the cartoons, they were always the objects of our hero's attempt to go out on a date without disaster.

The sad part is that View Master was using a cheaper film stock for two years in the seventies and the images turned pinker than anything put out by Eastmancolor decades earlier. While the View Masters of the 1940s through mid '70s still look absolutely gorgeous today, Pete's Dragon's reels are awful if you still have them.

Apparently these haven't aged much better. The first toy came out in 1973, but I am guessing the "theater" here dates from a decade later. Same movie discussed on this thread.

So many memories, not all having to do with Mickey Mouse.

The%20Animal%20World%20Viewmaster%20Reel

Of course, I eventually had to get The Animal World DVD from the Warner Archive. Hardly a classic documentary but the dino stuff from Ray Harryhausen is still great. Same models but different set-ups for the View Masters. Actually this opening shot of Triceratops is a close match to the movie frames.

This is the version I had.

the-animal-world-dinos-viewmaster-pic-1.

I guess we need to get back to Mickey. Actually I liked the Donald Duck one from the fifties better.

view-master-b525.jpg

14 minutes ago, Jlewis said:

I guess we need to get back to Mickey. Actually I liked the Donald Duck one from the fifties better.

view-master-b525.jpg

Ah, the late 50's-70's, when technology didn't know how to "separate" 2D animated images for 3D (as they later did with the 80's toons and 90's Disney), and we had to look at plasticine models of Bugs Bunny and Wile E. Coyote.  I remember the "solid" Disney and Bugs Bunny always having original stories to go with the handmade characters, like when Bugs tried to fix Elmer Fudd's TV antenna.  (Who's "Maverick"??)

And dredging up more bad memories of growing up with the projector but not the Talking model, I remember my parents prided themselves on always trying to find "unique" alternatives to high-priced catalog toys--Their idea was, "Why not record some audio on tape to play while you look at the regular version?"
A good idea on paper, but of course, at that age, you don't know how to say "....Oh, dear gods", preferably in an Alan Rickman voice.  <_<

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Wish they had the original cast.

The%20New%20Mickey%20Mouse%20Club.jpg

They did cover a few of them in 1956.

6246535126_3e18afa4ef.jpga31c999f666b58556f753e64a5bf793d--mickey

4 minutes ago, Jlewis said:

They did cover a few of them in 1956.

6246535126_3e18afa4ef.jpga31c999f666b58556f753e64a5bf793d--mickey

I just found out shortly before your post - already corrected myself.  Never encountered them before. Thanks.

• Haha 1