tom49

Movies not playing

16 posts in this topic

We’re aware of an issue that’s currently preventing users from playing some movies on Watch TCM.

Our teams are working on fixing this now, and hope to have this resolved soon. 

This was posted in October, I am still not able to watch a movie. I have not trouble watching the

Live stream but other movies (NOT) any idea on when this issue will be corrected?

I am still having problems streaming movies and it seems to be affecting movies that aired since Wednesday December 20, 2017. So it's been four days of movies that aren't streaming. 

Hello everyone

FYI, I have passed your comments on, and TCM is investigating this issue. In the meantime, and I know most of you have already done this, please make sure your browsers, and Flash settings are all up to date. 

Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

Um NO it’s NOT RESOLVED! I STILL CANT WATCH “DIAL M for MURDER”!!! ????? It’s stupid. I’m sick of it. Every single other freakin movie I try works. How does TCM have the nerve to put out such sub par service? How do they just have NO IDEA one of the movies doesn’t work? Maybe if they would give people a place to LET THEM KNOW there is a problem then it could be resolved. But no, we have to wait for “moderators” or so called “TCM employees” to read through these posts and then “pass it on”. Bull crap. Plain and simple. I never have any problems like this with ANY other movie apps. I’m watching on my Firestick so don’t tell me to fix my Flash or anything. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, I have logged out and back in. I have cleared the Cache and the Data. Nothing works andbas far as I can tell it’s just this movie. Haven’t tried every one there but 6-7 others all load. Randomly chosen. FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the time they do this movie will be gone. So irritating! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TanyaW said:

Um NO it’s NOT RESOLVED! I STILL CANT WATCH “DIAL M for MURDER”!!! ????? It’s stupid. I’m sick of it. Every single other freakin movie I try works. How does TCM have the nerve to put out such sub par service? How do they just have NO IDEA one of the movies doesn’t work? Maybe if they would give people a place to LET THEM KNOW there is a problem then it could be resolved. But no, we have to wait for “moderators” or so called “TCM employees” to read through these posts and then “pass it on”. Bull crap. Plain and simple. I never have any problems like this with ANY other movie apps. I’m watching on my Firestick so don’t tell me to fix my Flash or anything. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, I have logged out and back in. I have cleared the Cache and the Data. Nothing works andbas far as I can tell it’s just this movie. Haven’t tried every one there but 6-7 others all load. Randomly chosen. FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the time they do this movie will be gone. So irritating! 

Hi Tanya
I checked a handful of movies with different expiration dates early this AM and all of them finally did load and begin to play, but because I've seen that Hitchcock thriller so many times DIAL M for MURDER was not one that I checked at that time.
After reading your post I just checked and it did load and begin to play normally within 2-3 seconds.
However, I am using a PC with NO other apps except the latest and necessary Adobe Flashplayer running at the same time. The browser I used was Firefox's most recent v. 57.02 released 12/6/2017.
Since I don't have a Firestick I am unable to co-check with that from my area.
If there is anyone reading this post that also uses Amazon Firestick and also watches TCM ON-DEMAND it would be appreciated if they could check at their end and report back here, please?
If you are now able to effectively stream other TCM ON-DEMAND movies at this time, except for this particular one, then that is indeed confounding, however not unheard of, as TCM does sometimes (more often of late) behave that way. i.e. all movies listed as available for ON-DEMAND viewing will load and play, except a few or even just one. This happened a couple of weeks ago with  "Twilight People" (1973) which was broadcast late Sat. eve (12/16/2017) and never was corrected throughout it's entire "7 day viewing window".
However DIAL M for MURDER was one of the entire block of movies that failed to load at all this week, and now will (at least using a PC). So it appears that TCM staff did do something within the last 24 hrs to at least partially correct the problem, but since it also appears that they sometimes have to make remedial corrections "manually" on a picture-by-picture basis it does not rule out the possibility that someone may have overlooked a step regarding Firestick compatibility with that particular film. 
DMFM is not due to expire until 1/2/2018, so there are still a few more days to recheck on it before then.
If it doesn't happen, perhaps it may be of some comfort to know that DMFM is one of those Hitchcock flics that TCM does rather frequently rebroadcast, and they have (in the past) often also made it available for repeat ON-DEMAND viewing.

Please know that you are far from NOT being alone in your frustration with TCM's decrepit history of ON-DEMAND streaming. And their lack of any "effective" communication channels regarding anything is totally inexcusable and abhorrent.
The only method of any "feedback" from anyone associated at all with TCM is via the apparently very limited abilities of the Moderators here. However that is at least "something," and currently the only "option" we have available to us in which we are sometimes informed that we are heard by anyone affiliated with TCM at all regarding any of these issues.

I know that it can be very frustrating to be a "fan" of this channel because of the endearing familial face it puts on, and the often rarely seen class(s) of movies that it airs, and then come to realize that it is really just another inept business and we are seen as no more than mere consumers, with the "face" no more than a facade to make it "appear" that they are really something entirely different.
But the reality is they are unique only in the product that they serve us, and the relatively "uncut" and "commercial free" method of delivery. No more or less than that.
Aside from the continuous failings of their on-line streaming services (esp. regarding ON-DEMAND) and their lack of effective communication with their subscriber base, The channel does it's job fairly well in other regards.  So for that uniqueness we can be grateful that TCM exists at all for us to complain about. It can always get worse.

Please be as patient as you can about this, as there will, sooner or later, be another opportunity to view DIAL M for MURDER. It is not like an out of print book, or a movie that is not available in DVD format through other venues.
In fact if TCM doesn't make it work with Firestick this time and you can't wait for them to air it again, the DVD may very likely be readily available for "free" check-out from your local library.
So in the grand scheme of things (especially in today's world) it is really nothing to allow ones self to get so worked up about that we blow an artery.
It is so easy for us to turn these relative molehills into mountains that I need to remind myself to heed my own advice ;)
Please post back if you are able to successfully view this movie (and others from TCM) on your Firestick device. I'm sure there are many others using it that will appreciate any feedback that you provide (pro & con).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stephan55 I SO appreciate your reply! And I appreciate that you took the time to look up the movie just for me. :) Seems that the TCM viewers are indeed a family of sorts. I ageee with you that in the midst of all the issues they have it is at least nice to have what they share with us and I especially do appreciate the uncut commercial free thing! As of this moment-2:20am (EST) DMFM still won’t play on my Firestick. I can watch it on Demand on my Comcast X1 box, but as strange as this sounds I wanted to watch it in my room on the Firestick because I can hook my Bluetooth earbuds up to that and not disturb anyone (hubby) while I watch it and he sleeps. When everyone goes to bed is one of the only times I can really stop and watch with no interruptions. ;) 

I promise if it does get fixed before the 7 days I will let you know. Again, thank you SO much for taking the time to reply to me. It means a lot. Have a Happy New Year!! ?? 

• Like 1

Well it seems they FINALLY fixed it! Thank you TCM. I started it on the Xfinity On demand but will be so HAPPY to finish it tonight on the Firestick-using my earbuds. ?

• Like 1

So glad for you that you were finally able to watch DIAL M for MURDER with your Firestick and listen with your earbuds!

TCM reinserted THE UNHOLY ROLLERS (1972) which aired late Saturday night (12/23/2017) back into their "fixed" ON-DEMAND line-up, just a few hours before it was due to expire on Saturday 12/30/2017.
It had been listed as "re-viewable" after it aired, but was one of the "unplayables." When I noticed that TCM staff partially "fixed" the problem on 12/29/2017, I noticed that the movie had been deleted from the ON-DEMAND line-up. Then it mysteriously reappeared on 12/30/2017, and was actually playable at that time. So I was able to watch it during the last few hours before the defunct "7 Day Viewing Window" expired!
Nothing special about the film, but I'd never seen it before.

Just want to give you a heads-up... This kind of stuff happens with TCM, way to often, and will very likely occur again within the next few weeks.
Now that you are aware of the "routine" you know what to expect!
Post again on these boards when you have any such issues and hopefully the Moderator will forward it on to "who-knows-who."
At the very least others that post here can maybe double check and confirm whether it is a TCM "thing" and add their two-cents (for whatever it may be worth).

I haven’t been able to stream on demand movies on my phone the past two days. I can watch the live streams and I can watch clips and intros but the movies won’t work. I have not had any issues previously so I’m inclined to think it’s on TCM’s end and not my phone.

I can’t watch ANY movies on this app on my iPad. I have watched them in the past without any trouble, but nothing seems to work now. As of 1/4/18 nothing will play. Can you fix this permanently or remove the app if it isn’t going to work?  What happened. 

I have installed the WatchTCM app on my iPad and logged it in to my cable TV provider account (which includes TCM in my TV package), but I am not able to watch any of the archive or live stream video. I am only able to watch the preview clips. The same thing happens when trying to watch from the web site on my computer using multiple different web browsers. All I see is an error message saying "not authorized" and to contact my TV provider, but they claim no knowledge of the WatchTCM app and refer me back to TCM. I have not been able to find a phone number to contact anybody at TCM who can assist and I have not received a response to the message that I sent via the TCM help page. How do I get in contact with TCM for assistance?

Hi Folks

I just want to let everyone know that TCM is aware of these issues, and is investigating. If I hear any further info, I will surely pass it along!

From 12/28/17 to 1/6/18 TCM streaming has been working.  But, there are problems again.  I've now tried 4 films, all of which stutter.  Audio continues while video stops.  My browser and flash are up to date.  The moderator has indicated TCM is aware of the problem; hopefully, this condition will not last long.