[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Sequels Destined Not to Happen

30 posts in this topic

The Prequel/Sequel thread made me reflect on films which simply cannot have a sequel for various reasons. 

For example, that horrid film with Liza Minnelli called "The Sterile Cuckoo".

I would hate to see a sequel due to its basically vile and puerile nature, but how could it happen anyway since the title would have to be possibly:

"Son of the Sterile Cuckoo"??? I don't think so...

Sure, the awful couple depicted in the film could adopt but still, just doesn't really work movie wise in my opinion. 

Please don't even ask me if the "Cuckoo" appellation referred to Minelli or her swain as I never want to revisit that film in my mind.

Name a movie which you either hope will never have a sequel due to its unworthiness or can't have one due to something in its storyline.

43 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

The movie you don't want to revisit got Minnelli an Oscar nomination.  LOL!

Can't do a sequel for DR. STRANGELOVE for obvious reasons.

Please, Christine...did you have to remind me of that?

Haha! Glad that Dr. Strangelove can't be fruitful and multiply, particularly with that bad arm and resemblance to Henry Kissinger!

Great choices, much thanks!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Or ON THE BEACH either for the same reasons.

You're a sick person, Beth.

But I like that in a person so please keep such mentally aberrant thought responses coming...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

The movie you don't want to revisit got Minnelli an Oscar nomination.  LOL!

Aaaah, but Christine! Why couldn't there be a sequel to that Kubrick masterpiece, I ask?

SURELY some mine shafts could be found to film in, wouldn't ya say?!

(...and where "greenhouses could maintain plant life, and animals could be bred and SLAUGHTERED..to provide for several hundred of thousand of our people", as the "good" Doctor said...in his German accent of course!)

;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Aaaah, but Christine! Why couldn't there be a sequel to that Kubrick masterpiece, I ask?

SURELY some mine shafts could be found to film in, wouldn't ya say?!

(...and where "greenhouses could maintain plant life, and animals could be bred and SLAUGHTERED..to provide for several hundred of thousand of our people", as the "good" Doctor said...in his German accent of course!)

;)

What's your title for this imaginative sequel, Dargo?  And are any people going to have time to get to those mine shafts with greenhouses and animals before the big one drops?  If not, it'll be a short sequel - sort of like "Bambi Meets Godzilla."  :)

• Haha 1

Just now, ChristineHoard said:

What's your title for this imaginative sequel, Dargo?  And are any people going to have time to get to those mine shafts with greenhouses and animals before the big one drops?  If not, it'll be a short sequel - sort of like "Bambi Meets Godzilla."  :)

LOL "Bambi Meets Godzilla" LOVE IT!!!

Okay, seein' as how you asked here, Christine. AND, just off the top of my head.

So, how about for this Strangelove sequel, the title: Making Mine Shafts Great Again or somethin' along those lines anyway???

(...so, whaddaya think?)

;)

15 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

My title for a sequel to Dr. Strangelove would be Precious Bodily Fluids.    It will take a lot of those to rebuild the world!  ;)

• Like 2

I agree with Christine....(SPOILER ALERT) the bombs explode almost immediately after Strangelove stands up from his wheelchair, so it's highly unlikely that any one would have had time to get to the shafts...

Unless of course the Russians had their own shafts....that could be a different story altogether....

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

My title for a sequel to Dr. Strangelove would be Precious Bodily Fluids.    It will take a lot of those to rebuild the world!  ;)

Yeah, not bad, James. In fact, that one IS probably better than that "Making Mine Shafts Great Again" one I offered up here, huh.

(...yeah, that one sounded too much like some stupid slogan than it does an actual movie title, huh) 

8 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I agree with Christine....(SPOILER ALERT) the bombs explode almost immediately after Strangelove stands up from his wheelchair, so it's highly unlikely that any one would have had time to get to the shafts...

Unless of course the Russians had their own shafts....that could be a different story altogether....

YEAH?! So you two think there wouldn't be enough time to get anyone to the mine shafts, do ya?!

Well then, wouldn't ya say Kubrick picked the wrong song to end his film with?

(...I mean, then who the heck is Vera Lynn singin' to or ABOUT when she warbles, "But I know we'll meet again some sunny day", I ask you?!!!)

;)

Not much sunshine in those mine shafts.  Maybe the new song for the sequel could be "Ain't No Sunshine When We're Gone" (with apologies to Bill Withers) or some variation ("Ain't No Sunshine Where We're Going").

7 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Although Charlton Heston thought that "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" would prevent future sequels as well...

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Although Charlton Heston thought that "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" would prevent future sequels as well...

In this regard Eric, one could also say and in a manner of speaking that The Time Machine could be considered a sequel of sorts to the Dr. Strangelove story.

(...what with the Morlocks being possible distant descendants of those who made it into those aforementioned mine shafts) 

I liked The Sterile Cuckoo. Fairly realistic for a Hollywood flick, though

I admit Pookie could be a bit of a PITA.

D.O.A. At least not a sequel with the main character. Maybe one called

Hey Paula.

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

In this regard Eric, one could also say and in a manner of speaking that The Time Machine could be considered a sequel of sorts to the Dr. Strangelove story.

(...what with the Morlocks being possible distant descendants of those who made it into those aforementioned mine shafts) 

Er, noooo....

Was referring to Heston's story that he only agreed to return for the film if

HE got to set off the bomb and destroy the Earth, thus making further sequels problematic for Fox.  (But not, as it turned out, impossible.)

8 hours ago, Vautrin said:

D.O.A. At least not a sequel with the main character. Maybe one called

Hey Paula.

Did I embarrass you?

How about The Postman Rings a Third Time?

Then there's the idea that they could make Scream Blacula Scream after the ending of Blacula.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERED:

Roy Neary returns, still 30 something, to find his estranged wife and Jillian really haven't aged all that well, and that his absence caused him to be "alienated" from his children. :D 

E.T.(comes back):

The little alien returns after too many years of "jonesing" for more REESE'S PIECES.

GRANDPARENTHOOD:

STEVE MARTIN and MARY STEENBURGEN reprise their roles as Gil and Karen Buckman, dealing with the same seemingly genetic oddities now found strongly in their grandchildren.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

Ah!

So then your point basically was that they WERE able to pry later sequels of the whole ape planet thing out of Chuck's cold dead hands then, eh?!

(...NOW I get it!)

;)

On 12/22/2017 at 11:06 AM, CaveGirl said:

I would hate to see a sequel due to its basically vile and puerile nature, but how could it happen anyway since the title would have to be possibly:

"Son of the Sterile Cuckoo"??? I don't think so...

Clone of the Sterile Cuckoo - no need for adoption, or any of that messy exchange of precious bodily fluids, when you have science in your sequel! To be followed in the schedule by Hello, Dolly! ;)

Personally, I'm still patiently waiting for History of the World, Part 2...

• Haha 1