ChanaGoanna

ISO movie title from '40s or '50s

14 posts in this topic

I have searched and searched for this online, but to no avail. I saw this movie as a child and it scared the daylights out of me. It was in black & white, and I'm guessing from the '40s or '50s (possibly very early '60s). As best I can remember, a young woman comes back to a house where she witnessed the murder of a family (while she hid under the bed in the attic?). She can't remember what she saw then but freaks out every time she goes upstairs to the attic and sees a white curtain blowing in front of the window. I think she's now engaged to the only remaining son of the family, and at one point, she's suspicious of him and he tells her to kill him and remove the curse on his family forever. If I recall correctly, it ends up being the caretaker or handyman who was the murderer. 

It could be any number of films, since it's a common theme. But my first thought was CRY WOLF (1947) where Barbara Stanwyck suspects Errol Flynn of being a killer. There's a "curse" on his family.

• Like 1

Thank you! But no--IIRC there is no supernatural element. The caretaker/handyman murdered them all with an axe, i think. The white curtain blowing in the window is a huge element in it that recurs a few times, and the part that used to send me screaming to my bedroom, slamming the door until I knew that scene was over!

My World Dies Screaming (1958)

American-born Sheila Wayne has lived in Switzerland since childhood. Now newly married, she has a recurring nightmare about an ominous old house she can't recall having seen in waking life. Returning with husband Philip to Florida, they go to live at a country house...the house in her dream. Mysterious events multiply. The answers are rooted in dark days of the past

• Thanks 1

Oh my gosh--THAT'S IT!!!!!! ToastNJam, I can't thank you enough! I have been looking for this movie for years because elements of it have appeared in my worst dreams since I was little. It's amazing the effect a movie can have on our psyches when we're young. Bless you for the answer; I wish you knew how happy this has made me. :-)

I tried for quite some time to find the answer using conventional google methods and got absolutely nowhere. Great job by ToastnJam! Perhaps he can use his magic to answer a couple of other similar questions in this thread which have kind of driven me crazy:)

• Like 1

Yeah. Must be magic:) Using key words suggested by the question (eg 1950's movie, caretaker, axe murderer, hiding under bed, blowing curtain) will generate a bunch of images, which are irrelevant, followed by links to the axe murders in Viscilla, Iowa (the subject of a recent book The Man from the Train), maybe a link to "So I married and Axe Murderer", etc. I even got a link to a list of supposedly every horror movie made since 1896 and this movie is not even on that list. It is an awfully obscure movie for someone to "happen to know". There are other questions in this thread I have tried to answer with the same frustrating results. (Woman in bed sticking out tongue at dog, dead man on a fence, movie panning a two level apartment with a sleeping man and a woman who has sublet the apartment entering, woman in evening dress looking in a mirror) Your description of the movie is much more complete than any of the descriptions in those questions, but I still could not do a useful search.

48 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

Yeah. Must be magic:) Using key words suggested by the question (eg 1950's movie, caretaker, axe murderer, hiding under bed, blowing curtain) will generate a bunch of images, which are irrelevant, followed by links to the axe murders in Viscilla, Iowa (the subject of a recent book The Man from the Train), maybe a link to "So I married and Axe Murderer", etc. I even got a link to a list of supposedly every horror movie made since 1896 and this movie is not even on that list. It is an awfully obscure movie for someone to "happen to know". There are other questions in this thread I have tried to answer with the same frustrating results. (Woman in bed sticking out tongue at dog, dead man on a fence, movie panning a two level apartment with a sleeping man and a woman who has sublet the apartment entering, woman in evening dress looking in a mirror) Your description of the movie is much more complete than any of the descriptions in those questions, but I still could not do a useful search.

In my experience, as it appears in yours, such searches are fruitless.  If you haven't seen the movie, or know something about it, you're not gonna find it.

I used the IMDB keyword search. Using axe and axe murder, approx 150 featured movies came up the this one's plot matched.

49 minutes ago, TOASTnJAM said:

I used the IMDB keyword search. Using axe and axe murder, approx 150 featured movies came up the this one's plot matched.

Thanks for the tip. I found it using that search tool as well. For this search tool to be useful some kind of plot description as is contained here is necessary. In many of the questions posed in this thread, there is nothing but a scene described.