Zea

INABILITY TO WATCH ONLINE

13 posts in this topic

Every once in awhile (like today Dec. 26th) I'm unable to load a movie to watch online. This happens sporadically and at best by later in the day or at least by the next day everything's fine again.  

Anyone else ever experience this problem? Is there any recourse to report this or to TCM at the time it happens? If it's on their end,  perhaps they could correct it if notified at the time.  Or...could it just be a problem w/my internet provider?  In which case, I'd just as soon wait till the movies are up and running again rather than deal w/them. :angry: Thanks.

Zea

• Sad 1

I have not been able to watch movies since December 20th. It happens to be twice before but never for this long or affecting this many movies. I don't know if it's through the internet or if it's through the site. And I have no idea how to contact the site to inform them. But know that unfortunately you are not the only who this is affecting. 

• Sad 1

Not one single movie (now) is loading from TCM's On Demand list. This happened at Thanksgiving time too. Every movie shared after 12/19 is not loading or playing. I've tweeted to both TCM & DirecTV trying to get someone's attention; to no avail. People pay upgraded fees/charges on their cable/satellite services just to get TCM and it's ridiculous that TCM ignores this major problem. In November (and even before that), when tweeting to TCM, they at least responded saying "they're working on it" but this time, no responses at all. (Oh, and if someone responds saying it's my computer or internet; NO, it's not. I've cleared my "cookies" and tried three different browsers. Also, my internet speed (while not 100% of what I pay for) is more than adequate to play movies from TCM's "On Demand" ...  

• Sad 2

Methinks posting this here in the Technical Issues Forum is a dead end. This Forum isn't even listed in the main Forum list.  Frankly I'm surprised this topic got even THIS many responses!

So I'm reposting this topic & thread in one of the General Discussion forums for a little more visibility.  You're both right in that it seems there is no way (at least none I can see on this site) to contact 'the powers that be' at TCM to inform them of this ongoing/extended problem.  Based on the fact that it seems to be endemic to more than just one internet provider, I'd wager the fault lies w/TCM directly.

BTW: Day Two and still no OnDemand movies. :(  And w/such crap on the other network & cable channels, I was looking forward to being rescued by some OnDemand TCM movies. 

Zea 

• Sad 2

I think that this is, once again, a "tcm on demand" website issue, but they never seem to respond or care.  They will blame it on our Internet service or on our individual hardware/software, which is obviously NOT the case!  The fact is that I subscribe to a very expensive cable tv service (Verizon fios) featuring many other channels, which I do not watch, for no reason other than to stream tcm on demand.  You would think that tcm would show the slightest bit of interest in the fact that so many of its subscribers can't stream the movies for which they are paying very expensive carriers such as Verizon, but they don't care!   I'm very glad that I have an extensive vcr library upon which to rely because that appears to be my only alternative.  When I am already paying Verizon such a steep price to watch only one channel, tcm, I won't pay extra to stream any movies.  That won't happen!

Having to watch classic movies, which to TCM, its viewers & me, are The Holy Grail of movies in general, on any small/tiny screen device is (IMO) sacrilegious. It simply doesn't do these treasures justice.  Sure if there's absolutely no other way for someone to catch a movie they really want to see, then go for it.  But if given the option, I'd much prefer to view these on demand movies on at least a 12" screen. 

Again, the fact that these problems are occurring across the board of internet providers, devices & browsers reaffirms to me that the problem lies w/TCM. They make such a big deal out of how much they 'owe' to the loyalty of their subscribers & viewers.  Well......how about stop blaming everything & everyone else for the glitch and step up to the plate. If it's in TCM's ballpark, then they should take responsibility and fix the darn thing.  Certainly stop sloughing off as if it doesn't matter.  It does!

Zea

• Like 1

I'm having the same problem and it is disheartening. I'm on a chrome book so worked to make sure all updates had gone through. I am now able to watch live- which I wasn't able to do until the updates ( or is that just a coincidence?)- but no on demand. Thank you all for posting- at least now I can let it go and hope and wait for something better rather than googling issues with chrome books and trying to fix it myself.

Happy New Year to everyone and may the new year bring a TCM on demand website that works for everyone!

Hello everyone

FYI, I have passed your comments on, and TCM is investigating this issue. In the meantime, and I know most of you have already done this, please make sure your browsers, and Flash settings are all up to date. 

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, TCMModerator1 said:

Hello everyone

FYI, I have passed your comments on, and TCM is investigating this issue. In the meantime, and I know most of you have already done this, please make sure your browsers, and Flash settings are all up to date. 

Thanks! 

Appreciate your response and action. As of this a.m. I was FINALLY able to cue up an OnDemand movie. (BTW: The "Watch Live" films were, strangely, always viewable. Go figure.) My sense is since this issue has happened repeatedly in the past and ultimately, inexplicably resolved itself within a few days, it will happen again.  Sadly, in light of this, cueing up any OnDemand films in the future will continue to provoke some anxiety. :(

Was wondering if those others who responded to this thread are also able to view movies now?

Zea

Hi:  I just tried and 2 movies seem to work.  I'll be looking forward to some TCM movie-watching tonight.  Thank you!

I have tried 2 different computers and 3 different browsers. With one combination Flashplayer constantly crashes, With all the others, I get " A network error occurred when communicating with the provider's authorization service." Site is completely useless for movies on demand. I use Directv.