LawrenceA

Films of 2018

299 posts in this topic

It's hard to believe, but it's that time again, when one year closes and another is on the horizon. I'll start off this new year's thread by posting the list of the most anticipated releases of 2018 as voted on by the users of the Internet Movie Database (IMDb).

1. Avengers: Infinity War
  2. Black Panther
  3. Deadpool 2
  4. Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom
  5. Tomb Raider
  6. Pacific Rim: Uprising
  7. The Predator
  8. Ocean's Eight
  9. Mission: Impossible 6
  10. Solo: A Star Wars Story

That's 3 superhero movies leading off the list, and that's not even all of them. There's also Ant-Man and the WaspX-Men: Dark Phoenix, The New MutantsVenom and Aquaman.

I haven't read much about the next year's films but there are a few on my radar that I'm interested in:

Annihilation is the new science fiction film from Alex Garland, the writer-director of Ex Machina, and writer of Sunshine and 28 Days Later. It stars Natalie Portman as the leader of an expedition into a mysterious alien realm in search of her husband.

Isle of Dogs is an animated film from director Wes Anderson. I like his quirky sensibilities.

God Particle is a science fiction story whose details have been kept under wraps. It's supposedly going to be tied to the Cloverfield movies, but only in a very minor way.

The 15:17 to Paris is Clint Eastwood's take on the thwarted terrorist attack on a French train a few years ago. The actual guys who stopped the attack play themselves.

A Wrinkle in Time is the long-gestating adaptation of Madeleine L'Engle's much-loved science fiction fantasy novel. The movie features Chris Pine, Reese Witherspoon, and Oprah Winfrey.

Mary Magdelene is another look at the biblical character, starring Rooney Mara, with Joaquin Phoenix as Jesus.

Ready Player One is a big-budget science fiction adventure from Steven Spielberg, based on a best seller about people searching for treasure in a virtual reality game populated by familiar pop culture characters.

Sicario 2: Soldado is a follow-up to the excellent 2015 film Sicario about the US/Mexican drug trade, with Benicio Del Toro returning as a lethal secret agent.

As usual, most of the more interesting movies won't be out until late in the year, and as such I haven't heard about them yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Isle of Dogs is the early-year release I am most intrigued by. Wes Anderson has only made very good to wonderful films so far, so I am very interested to see what he does next. As the year goes on, more gems will be able to be picked out. :)

• Like 2

Here are some more 2018 releases (schedules change, and some of these may be pushed off the calendar until next year, or just get dumped to OnDemand/disc):

Insidious: The Last Key - 4th installment in the horror series. I liked the third one the best, so this may be superior to many horror sequels.

The Commuter - This looks like another cookie-cutter action-thriller with Liam Neeson, Vera Farmiga, and Patrick Wilson.

Paddington 2 - Sequel to well-received live-action movie from a few years ago, based on the children's books.

Proud Mary - This looks like a remake of Gloria (1980) with Taraji P. Henson in the Gena Rowlands role as a tough broad with a gun reluctantly protecting a kid.

12 Strong - True-story military heroics in the early days of the Afghanistan war, with Chris Hemsworth.

Den of Thieves - Crime drama following a gang of bank robbers and the police squad that's after them. With Gerard Butler.

Maze Runner: The Death Cure - Third in the series of dystopian Young Adult movies. This one was delayed after a stunt went wrong and the star was run over by a vehicle. :blink:

Winchester: The House That Ghosts Built - Helen Mirren adds some class to this "based on a true story" tale of the bizarre mansion built by the heiress to the Winchester firearms fortune.

Fifty Shades Freed - Another sequel to Fifty Shades of Grey. I've missed the previous installments.

Early Man - animation from Aardman Studios, about a cave man and his adventures.

Game Night - A group of friends get involved in a murder mystery in this comedy. With Jason Bateman, Rachel McAdams, Kyle Chandler, and Jesse Plemons.

The War with Grandpa - Comedy about a kid who battles with his grandfather (Robert De Niro) when the two have to share a room. Also featuring Uma Thurman, Jane Seymour, and Christopher Walken.

Alpha - In the distant past, a primitive man struggles to survive. Looks like Quest for Fire.

Death Wish - Director Eli Roth remakes the hit 70's Bronson flick, with Bruce Willis in the lead.

Red Sparrow - Spy thriller with Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton, Jeremy Irons, and Charlotte Rampling.

Gringo - Action-comedy set in the cutthroat big business world, with Charlize Theron, Joel Edgerton, Amanda Seyfried, and Thandie Newton.

The Upside - American remake of the hit French film The Intouchables, with Bryan Cranston, Kevin Hart, and Nicole Kidman.

Sherlock Gnomes - Animated sequel to Gnomeo & Juliet (2011). 

I'll be back with parts 2 and 3.

Part 2

Blockers - Comedy about parents trying to keep their kids from having sex on prom night. With Leslie Mann, Ike Barenholtz, and pro wrestler John Cena.

A Quiet Place - Horror thriller starring real-life couple Emily Blunt and John Krasinski. A family is stalked by a menace that is drawn to sound.

Overboard - Remake of the 80's Kurt Russell/Goldie Hawn movie, this time with Anna Faris and Eva Longoria.

Rampage - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson stars in this video game adaptation about giant monsters.

Life of the Party - Latest Melissa McCarthy raunchy comedy.

A Star is Born - Bradley Cooper directs and stars in this remake, with Lady Gaga. This was recently pushed back to the end of the year.

The Incredibles 2 - Pixar's superhero family returns 14 years after the last movie.

I Feel Pretty - Michelle Williams stars in this comedy about a woman who gains extreme self-confidence after a brain injury.

The Purge: The Island - Another in the series of ultra-violent allegorical thrillers about an annual "kill without punishment" event.

Hotel Transylvania 3 - Another Adam Sandler -voiced animated comedy about horror characters who run a hotel.

The Nun - Spin-off from the ghost horror film The Conjuring 2.

Skyscraper - Action thriller with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, and a hostage situation in a Chinese high-rise.

Alita: Battle Angel - Live-action take on the hit Japanese animated film, from director Robert Rodriguez. 

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! - Musical sequel to the 2008 ABBA-fueled hit. Meryl Streep returns.

The Equalizer 2 - Sequel to the excellent Denzel Washington thriller, based on the TV series.

Barbie - High-concept comedy in which the title doll (Anne Hathaway) is cast out of "Barbieland" and arrives in the real world where she struggles to survive.

The Meg - Giant killer shark vs. Jason Statham.

Captive State - science fiction thriller set in a post-colonized Earth controlled by aliens. With Vera Farmiga and John Goodman.

The Happytime Murders - Murder mystery set in the world of puppets. From Jim Henson's son Brian.

The Darkest Minds - Another dystopian Young Adult movie. After most of humanity dies due to a mystery illness, the remaining children gain super powers.

Smallfoot - Animated family film about Bigfoot.

Goosebumps: Horrorland - Sequel based on the kids books about supernatural horrors. Featuring Jack Black.

The House with a Clock in Its Walls - Fantasy about the search for a magic clock. With Cate Blanchett and Jack Black.

Robin Hood - Yet another take on the hero, with Taron Egerton as a younger version of the Bandit of Sherwood Forest. With Jamie Foxx, and Ben Mendelsohn.

Bad Times at the El Royale - Crime thriller set in the 1960's, with Chris Hemsworth and Jeff Bridges.

First Man - The story of Neil Armstrong. With Ryan Gosling, Jon Bernthal, Claire Foy, and Corey Stoll.

The Girl in the Spider's Web - Continuation of the Stieg Larson characters from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, with an all-new cast.

Mary, Queen of Scots - Another take on the contentious relationship between Mary (Saoirse Ronan) and Queen Elizabeth I (Margot Robbie).

Holmes and Watson - Farcical version of Doyle's detective, with Will Ferrell as Holmes and John C. Reilly as Watson.

Widows - Gangsters' widows team-up for revenge in this crime drama, with a large cast including Viola Davis, Elizabeth Debicki, Michelle Rodriguez, Colin Farrell, Liam Neeson, and Robert Duvall.

Marwencol - Based on a true story about a grieving man (Steve Carell) who builds a model of a city.

Wreck-It Ralph 2 - Animated sequel set in the video game world.

Mortal Engines - In a dystopian future, giant traveling cities fight one another for resources.

Bumblebee - Spin-off from the Transformers movies.

Mary Poppins Returns - Emily Blunt stars as the magical governess, with Hamilton writer-star Lin-Manuel Miranda appearing and providing songs.

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

It's hard to believe, but it's that time again, when one year closes and another is on the horizon. I'll start off this new year's thread by posting the list of the most anticipated releases of 2018 as voted on by the users of the Internet Movie Database (IMDb).

1. Avengers: Infinity War
  2. Black Panther
  3. Deadpool 2
  4. Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom
  5. Tomb Raider
  6. Pacific Rim: Uprising
  7. The Predator
  8. Ocean's Eight
  9. Mission: Impossible 6
  10. Solo: A Star Wars Story

That's 3 superhero movies leading off the list, and that's not even all of them. There's also Ant-Man and the WaspX-Men: Dark Phoenix, The New MutantsVenom and Aquaman.

We have truly reached the end of the world. Or at least the end of cinema. I like your selections AFTER this list of films that you have on your radar.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

A Star is Born - Bradley Cooper directs and stars in this remake, with Lady Gaga. This was recently pushed back to the end of the year.

Do we really need yet ANOTHER version of A STAR IS BORN (especially with the likes of Lady Gaga in it, YIKES!)?

14 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Do we really need yet ANOTHER version of A STAR IS BORN (especially with the likes of Lady Gaga in it, YIKES!)?

I agree with you about another "A Star is Born" film. There are 3 versions of this already. Although, I would like to see Lady Gaga in a movie musical or something, as she has demonstrated her vocal prowess. 

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Here are some more 2018 releases (schedules change, and some of these may be pushed off the calendar until next year, or just get dumped to OnDemand/disc):

Maze Runner: The Death Cure - Third in the series of dystopian Young Adult movies. This one was delayed after a stunt went wrong and the star was run over by a vehicle. :blink:

Early Man - animation from Aardman Studios, about a cave man and his adventures.

Sherlock Gnomes - Animated sequel to Gnomeo & Juliet (2011). 

I was unimpressed with the 2nd in the Maze Runner series, so I'm hoping this 3rd one does the series justice. 

Is it weird I'm kind of excited about Early Man? I am a big fan of the "Wallace and Gromit" series, so this one might prove to be somewhat interesting. 

Sherlock Gnomes... I appreciate whomever came up with the pun, but I purposely missed the first installment. There's only so much I can handle. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I agree with you about another "A Star is Born" film. There are 3 versions of this already.

Four if you count What Price Hollywood.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fedya said:

Four if you count What Price Hollywood.

Upped to five if you count Up Close and Personal from 1996, which Leonard Maltin said had everything except Michele Pfeiffer saying "This is Mrs. Norman Maine" at the end

• Like 2

On 12/27/2017 at 6:39 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

I'm most interested in seeing if they keep the score of the original or if they get rid of it and use forgettable pop songs. I feel like I already know the answer. :( 

16 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I'm most interested in seeing if they keep the score of the original or if they get rid of it and use forgettable pop songs. I feel like I already know the answer. :( 

You do. Did you really believe Gaga wouldn't write and perform songs for the movie?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jakeem said:

You do. Did you really believe Gaga wouldn't write and perform songs for the movie?

I knew she would be performing but I didn't know if she would be writing her own stuff. Yes, you're right. She's certainly loved for her songwriting skills too.

• Haha 2

On 12/27/2017 at 7:55 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

I agree with you about another "A Star is Born" film. There are 3 versions of this already. Although, I would like to see Lady Gaga in a movie musical or something, as she has demonstrated her vocal prowess. 

It's another pop-singer story, for people who believe Barbara Streisand's was the ONLY version ever made.

...Nuff said about Gags.  :rolleyes:

On 12/27/2017 at 12:35 PM, LawrenceA said:

Quick, which one is the real Marvel movie?

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 12:35 PM, LawrenceA said:

Ready Player One is a big-budget science fiction adventure from Steven Spielberg, based on a best seller about people searching for treasure in a virtual reality game populated by familiar pop culture characters.

I just finished reading the book by Ernest Cline in anticipation of this Spielberg film and it is great, so I am happy. If you're a fan of '80s pop culture and early video games/computer systems you will enjoy this book. The research and references are amazing as is the childlike treasure hunt that is the major plot. 

After reading it however, I can't imagine how it's going to be made into a movie that doesn't resemble "Tron" (either the original or the remake) since a lot of it takes place inside video games or playing video games and we all know how boring that can be to watch. I know special effects have come light years in the past few years and Spielberg and co. will probably invent new ways to do this onscreen....but I have my doubts that it can be done effectively and with as much interest and involvement on the part of the audience as the reader. Let's hope so...

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:20 PM, LawrenceA said:

Death Wish - Director Eli Roth remakes the hit 70's Bronson flick, with Bruce Willis in the lead.

Isn't Willis getting a little long in the tooth for these actioners?

3 hours ago, marcar said:

Isn't Willis getting a little long in the tooth for these actioners?

Hey, he's younger than Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson! 

My point exactly: they're all too OLD and so am I! 

• Haha 2

At least Neeson seems to be tiring of action movies. But always remember there's another Indiana Jones movie on the drawing board.