4. Peter Rabbit
  5. Mute
  6. Pacific Rim: Uprising
  7. Early Man
  8. The Cloverfield Paradox
  9. Truth or Dare
  10. Tag

• Thanks 1

Remarkable. After this weekend, 2018 has five documentary features reaching $1M in box office before the All-Star Break: @MrRogersMovie @RBGmovie @ThePopeMovie @whitneythefilm @iiistrangers

That hasn't happened since 2005.

Those 2005 films, by the way, were:

March of the Penguins

Mad Hot Ballroom

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

Rize

Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

Dhmzvh7VAAUmSCv.jpg

On 7/7/2018 at 1:23 PM, LawrenceA said:

Yahoo Entertainment's staff reporters' picks for Best and Worst of 2018 so far:

Best

1. Black Panther
  2. A Quiet Place
  3. Paddington 2
  4. Won't You Be My Neighbor?
  5. Avengers: Infinity War
  6. First Reformed
  7. Sorry to Bother You
  8. Blockers
  9. Annihiliation
  10. Incredibles 2
  11. Hereditary
  12. You Were Never Really Here
  13. Deadpool 2
  14. Tully
  15. RBG
  16. The Rider
  17. The Endless
  18. Game Night
  19. Three Identical Strangers
  20. Solo: A Star Wars Movie

Worst

1. Gotti
  2. The 15:17 to Paris
  3. Dark Crimes
  4. Peter Rabbit
  5. Mute
  6. Pacific Rim: Uprising
  7. Early Man
  8. The Cloverfield Paradox
  9. Truth or Dare
  10. Tag

I can't say I've seen all of these, but I definitely have a couple of issues with this list.  

Starting with #1.  I think it is good, but I saw flaws in Black Panther.  I would put Infinity War, Deadpool 2, and Incredibles 2 all in front of it.  I thought it had a pretty good story and I loved many of the characters, but I found the Erik Killmonger character to be problematic.  Michael B. Jordan did a fine job with the character, but the script presented us with a description of Erik Killmonger that I didn't feel matched the character we got.  There was nothing wrong with the character, it just didn't seem to match the person they described when laying out his past.  I would have rather see Jordan give us the character than have a resume handed to us that didn't seem to fully match the character he created.

My other issue was that they introduced the smartest person in the world with Shuri, but they went WAY over the top with it.  I get that she is super smart, but they also had her doing most things alone.  There were way too many times where it just didn't seem logical that there were not more people around helping her; something that carried over into Infinity War.  I love her character, but Okoye 😍 is my favorite.  So I think Black Panther is a good movie, but it is my opinion that the others are better.

So from what I did see I would say:

#1 Infinity War

#2 Incredibles 2

#3 Deadpool 2

#4 Black Panther

And A Quiet Place has no business being that high.  It was a good movie.  It was maybe even a Top 10 for this year, but #2 no way!  You know what would have made that movie really good?!  If there had not been a musical  score.  I hope they include a feature on the Blu-Ray release that allows you to turn the music off.  I would buy it if it had that feature.

I love seeing Blockers at #8. 

And Tag definitely does not belong on the "Worst" list.  Nor does Pacific Rim Uprising.  I'm not saying either were instant classics, but neither belongs on a "Worst" list - especially Tag.  I could see people having issues with Pacific Rim Uprising, but Tag was pretty decent.

One I really enjoyed that others didn't seem to find as entertaining was Life of The Party.

And moving away from the list, I too find it funny that Ant-Man and The Wasp grossing $85 million is a win while Solo: A Star Wars Story grossing $85 million is a flop.  I was disappointed Ant-Man and The Wasp did not have a better opening weekend.  I thought they would easily pass $100 million due to the expectation of a connection to Infinity War.  I guess I was wrong.  I really liked Ant-Man and The Wasp as well as the original, but I can see that it might not be the most mainstream of the Marvel franchises.  I would like to see just The Wasp show up in another Marvel movie.  I love the comedy of the Ant-Man movies, but I feel one thing lacking in Ant-Man and The Wasp is not enough of The Wasp.  So I think it would be great to see her, and maybe Hank Pym, show up in another MCU movie.

How It Ends (2018) - Cliched apocalypse drama from Netflix and director David M. Rosenthal. Seattle attorney Will (Theo James) is in Chicago to have dinner with his girlfriend Samantha's (Kat Graham) parents, Paula (Nicole Ari Parker) and Tom (Forest Whitaker). Tom and Will do not get along, which makes Will's visit even more difficult: he's there to tell them that Samantha is pregnant, and to ask for her hand in marriage. That all takes a backseat when some sort of cataclysmic event occurs in the western US, and all contact with the area is lost. Will and Tom attempt the dangerous journey by car to rescue Samantha, but the further west they go, the more civilization is quickly collapsing. Also featuring Grace Dove, Kerry Bishe, Lanie McAuley, and Mark O'Brien.

This lower-budget effort is pretty slick looking but its meager resources are clearly seen in many of the shot compositions and the relative small scale of the purported apocalypse. All of the scenarios our erstwhile heroes encounter are old hat to viewers of apocalyptic cinema or television, with the fight for supplies resulting in various violent interactions with bad guys or just desperate people. 

I've liked Theo James in other things, but he's terrible here, bland and unconvincing. Whitaker does a better job, but he's sidelined for much of the action. I did like Grace Dove as a feisty young Native American woman. I won't tell what's causing the apocalypse in this movie, but just know that the title is a bit of a cheat, and in more ways than one. For some reason I can't quite fathom, Netflix promoted this movie more than most of their recent premieres.  (5/10)

Source: Netflix.

How-It-Ends-Feature.jpg

So fed up with the ever increasing summer silliness at THE MOVIES though!!!

Did finally go to JURASSIC PARK 5 & man, I didn't expect it to be on the same levels of the first & last one but this flick is just flat (**-out of 4)   I almost fell asleep too!

It's like that old saying been there, done that

Hopefully this puts an end to the franchise

&* I thought the original was a powerhouse, as was the last installment

Next up another horror epic THE MEG